Texas Rangers 2022 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Nov 29, 2021.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I am resigned to a longer lock out and lost games. In 50 years of labor negotiations baseball still hasnt learned how to stop blasting away at its own feet with both barrells.:whiteflag:

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes. Sometimes I wonder how the players would react if they owned 10-15% of a team.

3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rangers trade INF Kiner-Falefa to Twins for catcher Garver

Garver was good until he wasn't:

"Garver had a breakout season in 2019 with 31 homers in 93 games while winning a Silver Slugger award, but the 31-year-old catcher has had injury issues the past two years. He struggled through the pandemic season in 2020, then missed most of 2021 after taking a foul tip to the groin area and needing surgery."

5. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

A bit surprised by the trade of Izzy - with Jung out, 3B is a big question mark.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I wasn't surprised by the trade, and I get trading one gold glove for another looks good on paper. However, IKF for a catcher who hasn't played meaningful time in two years is concerning from a player evaluation standpoint.

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and in a flash IKF becomes a Yankee!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I figured they'd get "more" for him. Maybe they think more highly of Garver?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Very quietly and under the radar, the Rangers are playing halfway decent ball and sit just two games under .500. I thought winning 70 this year would mean some positive movement, through the first 36 (over 20% of season) they are more than on track. Added plus the pitchers down in Frisco have shown some real positives for the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  10. HornHuskerDad

Good point, FWHORN. And note that they're winning without stellar offensive production. I never thought I'd say this during the 2022 season, but the starting pitching is getting the job done - who would have thought that Perez would deliver so well, for example?

11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

15-10 in last 25 after starting year 2-9.

12. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Spring optimism about the Rangers is adorable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. HornHuskerDad

"Optimism about the Rangers" has to be tempered with a huge dose of reality. Considering last year's record, a .500 record for 2022 would be outstanding (not likely, but even getting close to .500 would be very good). We also need to see some serious development in the farm system - especially among the pitchers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree with HHD. There has been some improvement in play from the first of the season. Last night was a typical losing game - in the game until two outfielders jogged to catch a fly on the warning track. Result - neither caught the ball because they are looking at each other. Then a bad fielding error. Bad game and a bad loss.

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Rangers will wake up on June 1 at .500, pardon me while I step outside to check if there are any pigs flying past my house. I have no idea how they are doing it but they are playing more than halfway decent ball and have a real shot at pushing into 75 plus wins this season which would be just outstanding given the level of talent this team has. I fully expect Perez to be traded and that they will slow down but dang this past month was fun. :texasflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

well how soon you guys forget the Rangers operating manual. Trade your pitching, get your fan base all excited and then collapse after the all star break. That’s been in the manual for 50 years now and they’ve only failed to follow it a few times. :idk:

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, there is that.

18. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

lol i wonder if it will be different in July and August in the air conditioning.

19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

With college baseball over, at least for the Horns, my attention has turned full time to the Rangers who continue to hover just under .500 as we approach the Fourth of July in just over a week. Perez has a ridiculous 1.96 ERA through 14 starts. He is almost certainly trade bait and could bring in a nice haul of prospects. My worry is that they will rush Leiter up as I think he can benefit from not seeing Arlington before mid 2023 and maybe not until 2024. This team is still a ways away from even being in the same conversation as Houston but the moves this past year at least got them going in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

FW, all that Leiter has proven is that he is young and still learning how to pitch AA ball. One good outing followed by a horrible one seems to be the rule. They shouldn't even think about him in the majors until he shows some level of consistency.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. HornHuskerDad

I'm not so sure that he'll be traded. He is on a club-friendly contract, and by all reports I hear, he wants to be here. And he would provide some stability at the top of the rotation for another year, allowing the club to avoid rushing prospects before they're ready for the majors. I guess we'll see as the trade deadline approaches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

traded willie

23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Just past the halfway mark of the season and the Rangers sit at 39-43. With 38 wins in first half of the season that is on pace to get 76 wins. Anything over 70 would have to be considered a step in the right direction kind of season.:texasflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep, they’re doing better than I expected. The Rangers have gone from horrible to a bit below average—which is a sizable step in the right direction.

They must be having trouble selling tickets. I just got an internet offer from the Rangers official site for $7 tickets. :confused:

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I got the same email. Interesting as they announced a crowd of 35K yesterday (it did not look like that many on tv).

The late-inning collapses are still concerning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

When they send me the email advertising $1 beer, I’m there.

:beertoast:

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Pretty soon they’ll start having Beach Boys concerts on the field after the game…

28. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I was there for the last 10¢ beer night.

• Hot Hot x 1
  29. HornHuskerDad

I was there yesterday. Not sure it was 35,000 - but it was a pretty good attendance. Biggest crowd I've seen so far in a limited number of trips to the new facility.
    And it was a fun game yesterday - lots of offense, balls flying out over the fence, and the Rangers won!

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It might be time to ask the question - who is the Rangers's 3B of the future? Jung is the anointed one, but Smith is a keeper.