Texas School Board Set to Vote on Evolution

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by alden, Mar 24, 2009.

1. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

online.wsj.com/article/SB123777413372910705.html

I know there's always an ID thread going somewhere, but that's not the point. I always took solace in the fact that this kind of thing usually happens in Kansas or some other backwards state. Thank you Dr. McLeroy for your contributions to Texas education you ******* dentist.
    [​IMG]

2. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

The GOP is running it's course in Texas. No wonder voter suppression vis the Voter ID law is their first order of business.

I hope Perry's minions get their way. I really honestly do! Then thinking folks will cast out the obvious dumbasses, and elect a deiferent but more science respecting set.

3. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

What an absolute disgrace. Then again, it's not really a surprise.

4. HornCyclist

HornCyclist 500+ Posts

5. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

Unbelievable.

How long ago was the Scopes trial? 70, 80 years ago?

6. MadTrapper

MadTrapper 100+ Posts

A mass email was sent around the Geology department the other day asking for people to testify, or write a letter or email to the Board of Education member in this area. I strongly suggest anyone to do the same. I know this is late notice because they are having the vote today, Wednesday.

Some of the **** that has gone on is just, well, I have no words to describe how horrible the situation is. 7 of the 15 board members are creationists, but a lot of this fiasco was caused directly by a couple of people. This is one of the reasons why the state of education in Texas and the rest of the country is not up to par.

I could go on and on, but frankly I'm just to tired. As a geologist, this makes me sick.

7. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Good to know that y'all have all the answers on how life on Earth came to be. I wish I could be back in school and get all the answers this time around.

8. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

9. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

10. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

oilfield- so you do not believe in Darwin's theory of Evolution as being the science that should be taught to our children?

11. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Read the [*******] dentist's guest column in today's Statesman.

Enlisting in the Culture Wars

I also read in another paper this morning that, in addition to Texas having one of the lower high school graduation rates, only 24% of our HS graduates are ready for college-level science.

12. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

I love being lectured about science by a guy who thinks the Earth is 10,000 years old.

13. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Darwin's theory of evolution is obviously supported by scientific discovery. However, there are remaining unanswered questions which should be pointed out as clearly as possible along with the theory. That is all. I just get really irritated when supposedly intelligent people act like they have all the answers when clearly they do not.

14. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, I read that nutjob's op-ed in the American-Statesman this morning and wanted to hurl my Cheerios. What plantet does this guy live on?
    So he wants to come up with a compromise that will please both camps? Why? Science is science, and religion is religion. If he wants a compromise, get a comparative religion course put in the cirriculum. Leave science alone.
    What if a radical group wants all science courses taught in ancient Greek? Would he want a compromise there, and have the classes taught in Hebrew? This is just nuts. We are a laughingstock because of this issue.

15. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

16. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

17. Fightin' Horn II

Fightin' Horn II 500+ Posts

18. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

There's also this stupid and ignorant attitude that you can't believe in God and science at the same time. I personally am getting tired of it all.

Isnt this the point? I'm far from a fundamentalist christian and this belief in the 10,000 year old earth. I do not think many christians believe that. They are not going to take the teachings of darwin out of the classroom, I believe they are only going to add the idea of creationism. isnt diversity of thought important or do you only believe in diversity if it only includes your way of thinking?

19. Whitman Mayo

Whitman Mayo 500+ Posts

What an embarrassment our State Leg is. You got these ******* clowns making a travishamockery of science. And you got some "Tax Hero" who doesnt who what Medicaid is. Allsome

Go Texas GOP!

[​IMG]

20. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

21. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

22. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

23. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

24. Lamp

Lamp 250+ Posts

25. 13evO

13evO 500+ Posts

26. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

27. LonghornCougar

LonghornCougar 1,000+ Posts

28. Austintxusa

Austintxusa 2,500+ Posts

29. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Gotta love the amazing level of tolerance on the American left.

30. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts