Texas Schools

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BrntOrngStmpeDe, Mar 21, 2023.

1. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

In the 2010s and 2020s, the punishment for profanity is 'please stop saying that'. If a teacher sends a student to the principal for bad language, the principal returns the student in less than five minutes. Why? Because the principal can't administer "pops" and detention seems to be a thing of the past, oh plus, the principal doesn't want to hear 10 f bombs either so just let the teacher and classmates hear it.

2. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

Absolutely it is the student body. Certainly there are differences in actual academic aptitude but lets face it, American schools are not academically challenging to get through. Our bar is pretty low. If you are not doing well, it is a reflection of effort.... and that discipline, self-control and motivation come largely from the home. Sure, every once in a while a kid has internal motivation, or maybe a teacher can "inspire" an otherwise mediocre student but the vast majority of the time it is the expectations in the community (e.g. the Asian community) or it is the expectations set at home with parents.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Two incidents I'll never forget.

1) Football practice in 8th grade. Big pileup. I yelled very loudly, "get off of my nutts". Coach Granger was a great, whose only job his entire life was HC at the Junior High. (He actually refused HS jobs.) He was 5'9"/220 pounds and chewed (not smoked) stogies. He grabbed me from the bottom of the pile by my shoulder pads, lifted me up and the two of us marched to his office, where I grabbed his desk and he lifted me off the ground three times. Then he looked at me and said, "You're better than that, and I expect better than that from you. don't cuss on my field again". Over 200 junior high boys got the message loud & clear and there were NEVER any discipline problems on his team.

2) I was in Mr Fritz 8th grade science class. He doubled as the town's Mobil gas station owner and the school's resident alcoholic. (You never spoke to him walking in the door because his breath would keep you drunk for three days.) Across the hall, and one room down was the math class of Mr Perry (may have name wrong), who was teaching "idiot math for 9th graders". Part of that class was the school bully and "hood". (He smoked cigarettes, cussed everywhere, and pushed little kids around.) Daily he would engage Mr Perry in shouting matches that could be heard from the library to the gym. One morning when Fritz had a particularly bad hangover, we were told to read while he slept. Phillip & Mr Perry were particularly loud and aggressive and we were all listening. Suddenly, Mr Perry said, "Phillip go out to the big oak tree and wait for me". Mr Perry walked out, took off his glasses and tie, rolled up his sleeves, and proceeded to beat the ever living **** out of Phillip, after which he went to the principal's office and told them where they could find Phillip when his mother got there to pick him up. Phillip was never a problem at the junior or high school again.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Sabre
    You inspire us all and make us realise WE have to be involved in our children's/ grandchildrens future.
    Now tell us what Coach Granger said to you when you saw him as an adult?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

We always shook hands and he would tell all of us that he was proud of us. He was still driving the 1949 Mercury that had Never been washed. Died in his office in the field house of a heart attack.

Later in life I became friends with Coach Doug Etheridge, later HC at Round Rock and AD in Pasadena. He told me the first thing he did when he got the HC job at PNG was call Coach Granger in and tell him he was the new DC at the HS. Coach Granger quit on the spot. They argued for a couple of hours and finally compromised that Coach Granger could stay at the junior high as long as he was in the pressbox with a headset during varsity games and sometimes scout future opponents.

He would be quick to tell anyone, "I want to help young men become end-ends" (He couldn't say "Indians")

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  6. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

You are spot on with the sentence I marked in bold. Unfortunately, there is little punishment for lack of effort.

Indeed the bar is low, but it's getting lower. We're at the stage where every student passes. DEI has us moving to the stage where every student gets the same grade by virtue of there being no grades.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yep. The public school system has been gradually going downhill since probably 1970 after being excellent during the Sputnik era. At this point, it has deteriorated to the point of being a joke. It's not even a serious institution anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

"No Pass No Play" is the only legislation I've seen that has some positive effect on students' efforts. See I can say something nice about Democrats! Of course, it doesn't work on those too lazy to do extracurricular activities.

No Pass No Play - Wikipedia

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

guy
    You epitomize willingness to find good in Demx
    Way to set an example
    :yes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

I had to comment. In an ISD near lufkin (hudson) if a kid curses he's given an immediate referral. AP has to act, no options. Central ISD nearby is almost as strict on cursing, and if you curse a teacher you're in deep ****.

At hudson you can send kids there from outside the district for 1k a year. Very good ISD, lot of people take that option. But... zero tolerance on poor behavior. Many kids have been given their walking papers and can't return

That scares the doodoo in 'out of district' parents to death. They want their kids in hudson, not lufkin. I can tell you the parents come down hard on their kids that screw up in hudson.

Also, hudson parents are given forms in August asking _ Do you wish to option for corporal punishment for your student? I'm told most answer yes.

As for DISD, kids can curse with no action taken but if you curse a teacher it's an instant referral.

11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

In 1984, most Texas Democrats were nothing like national Democrats today. A few were liberal crackpots, but most were moderate to center-right and pretty sensible. Mark White would be considered a borderline fascist by modern Democrats.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

That's good to hear, but too bad Hudson ISD isn't the norm around here!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Just a reminder that school choice is going to be in harder to pass in Texas than most conservatives think and harder than it should be. Texas House votes to block vouchers.

By the way, if you want to know the names of the MoFos who are screwing over children, here they are. The Yes votes are the bad guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for that list. I just got moved into new district for electeds. My now rep voted yes. My former rep voted no.
    I will be contacting her to find out why she voted yes.

15. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What's her name?

16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mihaela Plesa. She is a Dem
    My former rep Matt Shaheen voted against it.
    I will be working hard against her next election

17. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I saw that. I think 3 Republicans have joined in. They all take $1000s from public school unions. These are the lowest of the low.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

She's crap. Oust her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It was more than 3 Republicans.

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

How can I find out if she took from teachers union.
    Her district includes a lot of transplants but are families so would hope they want best school for their kids.

21. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Ok. Let's go after all of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

She did. Link. Lots of union money in general as well (Fair Shot Texas PAC, AFSCME PAC, and Texas State Teachers Association). Lots of trial lawyer money (Texans for Insurance Reform PAC, TTLA PAC). Pretty typical funding base for Texas Democrats.

• Like Like x 1
  23. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

I'm represented by Vikki Badwin, née Goodwin so no surprise how she voted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Travis County has always had the worst and most partisan Democratic state legislators.

25. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

35 years ago, Hudson was just a little basketball school on the outskirts. Now it’s where all of good Lufkin wants to live.

26. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

Last month she sent out an email saying she was proud to support legislation that required teachers to have more education time. Then she said she'd meet at a local restaurant to talk about it from 10am to noon on a Tuesday. Look at that - no teachers could make her small townhall because it was a school day!

• Funny Funny x 3
  27. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Hudson is the only 4a school that doesn't field a football team. Nearby Central doesn't field one either, I think they're 3a.
    I've been told many times both don't want football there ""because we don't want every B teamer from lufkin coming here".

Hudson does field decent baseball, swimming, tennis golf teams. They're good with that.

I met the HISD superintendent at church, really good guy.

At Tolbert's 2 years ago I mentioned, I think to you, that we were looking to retire to east Texas. You (or someone) mentioned you were from lufkin and I quickly answered "we're not looking there". I meant to explain why but the table's conversation wouldn't allow. Didn't mean to be offensive but it may have come across that way. Hope it wasn't taken wrong

We don't live IN Lufkin but close by. Love it here. People are great, lot of festivals etc. St Luke's hospital turned out to be a very good facility, the wife and grand daughter have had minor surgery, was every bit as good as Baylor dallas, or Doctors hospital by white Rock. That was a relief

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Douglas is over in Nacogdoches and much smaller. I thought they were supposed to be good academically, athletically, without the problems of Lufkin or Nacogdoches. I understand their new superintendent leaves something to be desired. .

• Like Like x 1
  29. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I grew up in Lufkin and lived there a short time after graduating from Texas. I have hunting property in Trinity County, but rarely get there simply because no easy way from Nashville or my place on the gulf coast.

• Like Like x 1
  30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

We’re ducked: