Texas Sneaks Into College Station Regional

Discussion in 'Softball' started by texexted, May 15, 2017.

1. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Despite one of the most disappointing seasons in Connie Clark's career (8 returning starters, deep pitching staff), Texas made the tournament.
    Bad news is they face Texas State and if they pull off a win, they get the Aggies.
    I'd hold off on buying tickets to the Super Regional.
    Based on a pitiful season including this weekend's 7-0 blowout to Baylor, I don't see this team going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  2. utwheels86

utwheels86 25+ Posts

The committee did them no favors at all. The hitting and defense have been very inconsistent all year and when you expect them to pitch with no margin for error all the time, you're asking for even more trouble. The only chance they have is to play sound, fundamental Softball and of course, timely hits.

3. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure if the NCAA has that x-miles rule about teams pulling in teams within a certain radius of them. In volleyball, since Texas is always so highly ranked and has a high RPI, poor A&M always gets sucked into our Regional and have to come to Gregory for their yearly short-lived tournament experience. I see us experiencing the reverse in softball and trudging to A&M every year until we find that "magical" pitcher that will make all things right.
    Hey, we've got SIX PITCHERS to choose from next year!

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately none of them are named Cat.

• Like Like x 4
  5. utwheels86

utwheels86 25+ Posts

Cat is a once in a generation Pitcher. That said, there's no reason why we can't attract a dominate #1 unless it's the way our coach handles the pitching staff in general. Recruits do pay attention to those things.

6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Very unlikely that a #1 will be attracted to Texas unless Texas makes a giant step forward, and the #1 would be the final piece. Clark should have been let go after she could not win at least 1 NC with Cat.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I cannot think of a single program in America that it would be easier to negatively recruit against than Texas. That's how Tech, Baylor, aTm, and TCU have built winning seasons. Neither is it a recent phenomenon, dating back 25-30 years.

Viper is correct, the time to make changes was years ago. As long, however, as it is not important monetarily, nobody will pay attention, particularly on the second floor of Bellmont.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  8. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

No, but this year's squad gets to learn first-hand about the legend that is/was Cat given the match-up with Texas State...

That match-up at least gives an otherwise-nothing bracket a story to fill some air time with.

• Like Like x 1
  9. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

A bit of hyperbole since TCU does not field a women's softball program.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  10. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

That would, it seems, make it impossible to have a LOSING season for the school ;)

11. utwheels86

utwheels86 25+ Posts

I agree as well. For sure change should have happened after no NC with Blaire Luna either.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you cannot beat Texas State in a Regional tournament, it is time for everyone involved to rethink the direction of the program (even if we have been assured the direction is right).

13. utwheels86

utwheels86 25+ Posts

Yesterday's game was indicative of the whole season. They couldn't get timely hits when they got a top notch pitching performance. A different voice is clearly needed to lead this program.

14. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

If this were a revenue sport - especially men's - there would be no re-thinking. There would be action. We shall see.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

But it isn't and it won't.
    Emails to Plonsky? Maybe. Slump in ticket sales? Maybe.
    But to be practical, there aren't any boosters telling Plonsky "I'm unhappy with the direction of the softball team."
    Connie has banked A LOT of goodwill from being the founding coach of UT Softball as well as multiple trips to the CWS.
    I used to see Plonsky at the occasional game, not anymore so how can she even see what the "product" is like these days?

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Watching on LHN would be here excuse. Doesn't hold water, and nothing makes an employee take notice quicker than the big boss present and watching.

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

"Excuse"? Plonsky doesn't issue "excuses". "Who are you?" "Do I know you?"

"Yes, I'm the guy Deloss had you call two weeks ago when you totally humped the puppy and couldn't fix the problem"

18. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Great job Texas Softball! Way to fight and never give up. Come on Longhorn Nation..lets's celebrate the wins!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I have to give them their due. I thought it was over-and-out on the homerun making it 3-0 and all UT could do was hit grounders to shortstop or 3rd. But picking Paige to pitch the first game, leaving Erica to pitch the second, and finally hitting the type of ball that the pitcher was offering was a great sign the team hadn't given up.

A&M? Well.....

• Like Like x 2
  20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Sigh. Typical Connie. Leaving a pitcher in the game too long. It wasn't Tiarra's day from the first inning.

Last edited: May 21, 2017