Texas @ TCU 01/04/2023

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Rori has never been a very good FT shooter, but tonight was an exceptionally bad night from everyone at the line.

Shaylee was 94% on the season and missed 2, Rori goes 5-10, Faye about the same as Rori, and Amina’s two attempts were nowhere close to going in.

This was not a pretty game to watch, and those are two of the worst commentators i have heard. At least we got the win.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Speaking of the Box, this is pretty amazing(ly) bad on the refs:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

This game was so frustrating. Texas: score, run the court, foul. TCU: make record numbers of free throws. Repeat, wash, repeat. And in all that ugliness, it was hard to feel the good games from Gaston, Faye, Gonzales and a fantastic one from Harmon. Weird one for sure, but still a win. Hope we don't have many more of these.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Wait a damned minute here! Do I smell another Big12 conspiracy? What kind of revisionist BS is this? I was watching the live stats the whole 4th Qtr and so was the media who all reported the triple double. Now TCU folks gonna go back and "edit" their stats?

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

That was some of the worst ball handling I've seen so far in the Vic Schafer era. Multiple players losing the ball on the dribble! And for goodness sakes D, when they throw the ball to you, don't dribble just turn and shoot!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The refs sent the Horny Toads to the line 42 times. I say “the refs” because it certainly wasn’t our players. 48 fouls and at one point that female announcer said the refs were not calling but rather “letting them play” as she questioned a foul called on the Toads. It was as if she was watching a different game. :facepalm:

I have said this before, and I will say it again: The refs too often ruin the women’s game by calling things that almost always go uncalled in the men’s game.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I understand homer-announcers, but these two were the worst. Down 10 points and they still talk like TCU had a chance to catch up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I had to mute these announcers after about five minutes. Bad and biased. I don’t mind some home team bias but not what started out to be what I expect was a steady stream for two hours.

I hate the TCU gym floor. It’s too “busy” and blurry for a tv game.

I used to have some respect for Pebley but she’s got some thugs on that team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Shady AF! Geezus, get us out of this petty AF conference!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Not only do I hate the floor at TCU, the fluorescent lighting is the most god awful of any arena I’ve ever been in. When I played volleyball I always had a hard time in venues with similar lighting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

Vic gives Amo and Taylor updates too:

• Like Like x 4
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My thought is that the floor and lighting at TCU is designed to be a home court advantage (the floor in particular), like the blue turf on the Boise State football stadium. In HS we played a team in our district who had black and gold colors. Their entire gym was painted in all different shades of gold with black... different parts of the walls, seating, and even the court were "yellow gold" and black while other parts were painted in "old gold" and black. It made for a very difficult place to play -- it created optical illusions that skewed depth perception.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  14. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

The TCU statisticians can do whatever they want, the official NCAA site has Rori credited with the 3D.

They are just being petty, I’m sure you all heard the fans screaming the entire time. I don’t know if I’ve ever really heard that in a broadcast quite like that, I guess it’s easier to hear in such an empty gym.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Listening to these young women puts a smile on my face. Both seem genuinely humble. Yet they compete ferociously. When Rori says she doesn't play for stats, she plays to win, I believe her. I remember one time when Craig Way interviewed Edwina Brown (one of those other 3 Texas players to record a triple double) after a loss and said to Edwina that she had a good game. Edwina's response was a cry, "I want to win!"

• Like Like x 3