Texas-TCU Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Oct 26, 2019.

1. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Every team we play seems to know exactly what we are running and we make no adjustments. Our plays are slow and allow for fast defenses to react if for some wild reason they didnt see whats coming. Our defensive play is awful but I dont think the players are because everyone else recruited the same kids. This is all about coaching and they do need to recruit more speed everywhere. Other than Duvernay, do we have anyone that has speed that creates problems for other teams. If its yes, then why cant we see them on the field?

2. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I was thinking the same thing. I watched Utah last night and man they have Swift receivers and they get separation and YAC. The ball is thrown to them at the right time. That's what we need.

3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

When you went to UT during the McWilliams years, you tend to be a fan through the thick and the thin. (and there's been plenty of both)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yep.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Maybe its time we just gave up football?
    Throw our weight behind VBall - they are better coached and play hard

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. horninchicago

Funny you should say that. I’m at my daughter’s volleyball game and I was telling some people the volleyball team is better and more fun to watch than the football team.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Prior to season, DMN predicted we would beat LSU but lose to Oklahoma and TCU

8. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

There is a reason the books in Vegas and the offshore books put an inflated over/under win total on Texas at 8-8 1/2. This was an inflated win total because the public loves betting the over on their team. This coming off a Sugar Bowl victory over mighty Georgia who easily could’ve have been in the playoffs 2 years in a row.

And the wise guys and sharps hammered the under side of that bet.

This win total had absolutely and totally nothing to do with coaching and unforeseen injuries either.

It’s ALL about talent and how they matchup against other teams on their schedule, and the real “professionals” recognized this last summer.

And Texas is a year or 2 away from being a serious contender and it will come, even with same same staff and the same schemes they are running right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It could be, but we will never know because someone is going to take a hit from this mess (and it will not be Herman).

The first step is someone needs to look into Track & Field S&C because there are just too many of the same types of injuries that can be traced back to the weight room. It could be something minor, but muscle injuries occur due to either a weakness in the tissue or overworked tissue. Track people know how to take care of muscles.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We will get several key players back in November (including 5 DBs who were missing on Sat), after a week off. So, running the table is at least possible, if the coaches have not lost the team already. And, if so, everything will look and feel different than it does today.

But, if not, which also seems very possible, then I have no idea. We know that big donor-stadium expansion funders are already unhappy. And I dont know if you have bothered to look, but many of the national sports media types are blasting Herman. Somewhere along the way, Herman definitely pissed off some of those people. Some of them are taking way too much joy out of our current football problems.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Kirk Johnson, Jake Smith, and John Burt. The former has been injured a ton, and the latter two can't consistently be counted on to catch a ball (or field a punt).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

so, 2 out of 3 is good?

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Kirk has been injured his entire time here until this season. He is a running back with great speed and a really quick step to the hole. Would like to see Kirk get some carries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I don't see this coming with the run game scheme as it is now. Or with the defensive schemes and calls, and blitz designs as we run now.

15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I am a die hard fan and will stick through anything but it is the sentiment of this statement that concerns me. I seriously hope it is not true.

16. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Well, actually DMN also predicted all our wins so far, too, so I'd say "yes" 7 out of 8 is pretty good for a preseason guess.

17. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Don't forget softball. We have a winner coaching them as well.

• Hot Hot x 1
  18. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I told several HF 's at the game:

Sam, if nobody is open, you have running lanes for yards or the 1st down. Run the damn ball!!

Run the ball if nobody is open until they stop it. Too often Sam forced it... 4 picks and at least 2 close call picks on Sat.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  19. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

He is being coached to stay in the pocket and throw.

20. horninchicago

It's a damned if you do damned if you don't. Stay in the pocket, force a bad throw many times or take a sack. Run and risk injury.

21. WorsterMan

Understand, but too often his OL protection was collapsing and he threw poorly or into coverage, when in some cases he could have tried to run.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

If you are afraid stay at home...... What good is a dual threat QB if he is told not to run. Nobody open, pull it down and run...Lane opens for a big gain..you tuck it and go get it.....If we were going to keep him in the pocket we should have kept Rising and started him.. HE can flat out throw it !!! Sam ...not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. horninchicago

I'm not disagreeing with you.

24. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sam is getting criticized a lot. And I do agree that he could have tucked it and run more. Also, no one can deny that the interceptions were torpedoes to our cause.

But even so, we lost the game because the defense did not stop tcu after our last score. All we needed was a stop. We had momentum, we were one score down and if we had just gotten the ball back, I think we'd have won the game.

Bottom line, the defense could not stop a true freshman QB from going 80 yards for the score. The three man front gave the kid all day to pass; and when no one was open he had lanes to run.

The defense simply was unable to do the job.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. horninchicago

From what I have seen of Sam the last few years, he probably is harder on himself than anyone on here. Great Longhorn, just something is off, as many have said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The volley ball team is a lot prettier than the football team, that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. horninchicago

More fun to watch, too...did I mention that? Wild atmosphere that comes through on TV.

• Like Like x 1
  28. WorsterMan

This is perfect summary of the end.

D could not get the key stop.

One might add earlier in the game mistakes and missed opportunities: 3 trips in the red zone and 3 points... plus missed chip shot FG. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Sorry, but 4 interception, at least two giving the frogs quick easy scores, cant be overlooked.
    The D shouldn't have had to make that last stop. They were worn down, I'm sure.
    We should have been up two scores at the end.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Yup, we gave up a 3rd and 11 and a 3rd and 14 on that last drive. Orlando blitzed everybody on the 3rd and 14, just as he did on 3rd and 17 against LSU, the result was the same both times. Of course, with the personnel we had in there, there's no reason to believe that dropping 8 and rushing 3 would have yielded a different result.

Montrell Estrelle (sp.?) needs to take a seat on the bench and not see the field the rest of the season, unless we're up by 40. His game made Sam's look not so bad.

• Agree Agree x 1