Texas @ TCU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Timeout Texas. Down 2 with 6 seconds left.

Audrey-Anne limping for a while now. Hurt her foot or ankle earlier in the fourth quarter.

2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well-deserved loss. Coaching and execution stunk in the 2nd quarter.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Coach A says TCU out-played us. Which is true. But, she should've also said they got out-coached tonight.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Not a good RPI loss either

5. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

This is how you slowly but surely lose a fan base. Losing games you should have won. Very sad for our team.

• Like Like x 1
  6. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

What does having 10 All Americans help when you continuously get out coached?

• Like Like x 2
  7. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Was it just me or did Brooke pass up a lot of shot attempts tonight? She seemed to have some open looks and passed it off to another player. IMO she didn't play her typical style game.

8. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  9. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Why is coach scared to call TO? SMH:brickwall:

• Like Like x 1
  10. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

On that last possession by TCU with seconds remaining, Kianna Ray drove to the basket through double screen, why didn't Texas switch on all screens instead of forcing Ariel to run around it to try to catch up to Ray, thus resulting in a block.

Congratulations to TCU, they played well offensively and our defense was unreliable.

11. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

At the beginning of the season I did not thnk we would lose games like this. Didn't think our leadership would allow it. Another game like this Monday will be embarrassing

• Like Like x 2
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We had a huge advantage in offensive rebounds, 18-4 late in the game, I believe.

But, we sent TCU to the free throw way too many times; and, I'm sure they hit more 3 pointers than us (which is a big equalizer).

• Like Like x 2
  13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Coach Aston obviously has to do a better job of coaching. I think so much emphasis has been put on being a better perimeter shooting team that the team hasn’t been very good defensively this year. And that emphasis on perimeter jump shooting is not working out at this very moment.

14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Caught up on on DVR, running 30 minutes behind. Frustrated thoughts:
    1) I kept yelling at the TV, "Call timeout! C'mon. Don't tell them to work it out themselves!"
    2) Shug driving towards the bucket was awful. Either got trapped in traffic or flung the ball for a turnover
    3) Saw a couple of times Lashann in the corner, waving for the ball but Brooke strangely not seeing her
    4) Why so many white jerseys under the basket rebounding in the first half?
    5) Thinking too far ahead to next Monday and not tonight - coaches too!
    6) Joyner, out of sorts, not helping being on the floor
    7) Coulda used some Rellah tonight

Seems to me the last 3 teams we've played have mirrored Texas. Tough rebounding and fast break offense. It just caught up to us tonight. They deserved to win, but we played half-assed.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Don't want to be negative, but have to be a realist. This team is not beating UConn based on how we've played recently, especially with no help from the freshmen "shooters".

And, if we don't win all our remaining Big 12 games, including the Big 12 tourney championship, we can kiss a #1 national seed goodbye. Just didn't do enough in non-conference to slip up against a conference team like TCU.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  16. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I love Texas, don't get me wrong. But Texas is under Coached. I am sorry!!!
    All that Talent, no Trap's or Press!!!!!!!
    No Zone, we don't change up nothing to throw a Team off.
    What's the purpose of getting all of this Talent, if you are not going to use it to your Advantage.
    Come on Coach.
    Let's Do This.......

• Like Like x 4
  17. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I watch Auburn Women's Basketballl Team.
    They press almost the entire game, with less Talent.

18. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

All I can say is "This was unexpected". Unbelievable.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

Coach Aston and her assistants are strong on recruiting and skill development, but working with players on the emotional aspect seems to be missing. We have been playing so much below skill level lately.

• Like Like x 3
  20. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Why do our post players get blocked so often? And for all the talk about our senior guards, they never show up to lead TOGETHER. It's one or the other, Brooke or Ariel. Coaches HAVE to find an offense against the zone defense, it's ridiculous at this point. Hammer the players at halftime about stepping up the defense, which they did, but give them adjustments on offense too.

I hate being negative, but this lack of game plan and adjustments is just bad.

• Like Like x 3
  21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I agree. But I don’t care what offense you’re running if you can’t shoot the ball well against that zone to begin with.

22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Brooke didn't get her first points until 5 minutes left in third quarter. She did other thing as far as handing out assists; but, if our defense is not on, we need her points. Second game in a row where she is not showing up offensively when the rest of the team is struggling to score during certain stretches of the game.

Local Austin products, Jordan Moore and Kiana Ray, ate us up today. Expected more defensively out of Jatarie tonight against Moore.

• Like Like x 1
  23. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

We are in desperate need of an X's and O's coach.

We know that Aston's strongest skill is recruiting and that is great. However, we need an assistant coach whose strength is strategy. I don't know if Thompson or Carey are that coach.

We have 10 AAs. There is no rhyme or reason why we should be losing to a team like TCU.

At some point, we have to realize it isn't just the players.

• Like Like x 4
  24. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

I am really surprised at Joyner Holmes lack of production. 7 points in 5 games. I know the layoff had an effect on her but I would have never dreamed this. That was one talented girl last year.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

She is still talented, but remember she hasn't played basketball since the summer. On top of that, she really isn't getting many minutes or really looking to score.

Holmes is basically playing her way into condition, but barely because she isn't getting minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For those who keep spouting off that "we have 10 All-Americans", that was high school. Of those players, Littleton, Boothe, and Patterson aren't playing much. Holmes basically not in the flow of the game after not being part of the team for 7 months. Jordan Hosey was probably overrated and is a tweener in our offense. Jatarie is playing her first season at Texas, and had not played much in games the last 3 seasons. Sug is barely starting to get back to her old self after a freshman season where she played tentatively while coming back from an ACL in high school.

So, that leaves 3 players in Ariel, Brooke, and Lashann who are more often than not playing at a high level this season.

29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Same old thing... offense stifled by a zone defense and no variety in our own defense allows the opponent to spread the floor, attack the basket and either kick out to an open shooter or take advantage of our slow-footed post players' late help rotation which results in either a layup or a foul. You'd think the staff would've figured it out by now. I can't imagine that Carey and Thompson aren't in Aston's ear... she just doesn't seem to be listening. From a strategic perspective our coaching is some of the worst in the conference.

• Like Like x 3
  30. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Now watch. They’ll probably turn around and beat UConn because the one thing this team does consistently is play inconsistently