Texas Tech game

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Chop, Jan 13, 2021.

1. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sloppy. Beard is kicking Shaka’s ***

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Sorry for my negativity, but BB was my game and I get frustrated watching a Jr High offense. Even the announcer was baffled by what Shaka was trying to do. Tech deserved this one, they didn’t change......and Shaka was lost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LonghornCatholic

Disappointing

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We were due for this kind of loss. No shame in losing to a team like Tech.

Ramey needs to get it under control when he's not shooting corner 3's. His turnovers and missed layups were painful. And the complete absence of Jones in the 2nd half.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Game not over

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

6CE85827-94CF-48F4-8ED3-2C0E3D131106.jpeg Checking stats - TO’s prime cause of loss

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LonghornCatholic

Gonna be tough to beat Tech in Lubbock. No reason to let this one slip away....and then we have Baylor. Just like that we can end up in 3rd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

Shooting 57% from the Free Throw line is an absolute JOKE!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Too many turnovers (15) and missed FTs (13).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah Ramey's handoff to Tech under our basket after their offensive foul was killer. Could have been a HUGE swing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. LonghornCatholic

Many of those turnovers were due to undisciplined chaotic offense Shaka was trying to run.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. LonghornCatholic

Choke job all the way around.

13. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Cant win them all. One huge brain fart at end with the in-bound pass really hurt. Don't worry Texas is still getting better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We’ll drop some conference games from time-to-time in this conference. This was one of them. That Tech steal of our inbounds pass towards the end did us in. Tech is #15. They’re good. We probably should have won. We’ll be back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Losing like this sucks. ttu played their game; with great energy and composure.

Horns were awful in the 2nd half after playing great in the first half. Looked like a totally different team.
    Wow! Unbelievable.

16. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Really? They lost to a very good team. Did WVU choke when Texas beat them with the buzzer beater? Is every loss a choke? Who choked? I can remember one stupid in-bound pass. Other than that, the team had a great first half but a substandard second half, but not what I would call a choke. Tech player made winning 3 with hand in face. I chose to give Tech credit for a good game rather than bash our team.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

You don’t see Kansas packing it in for the year and cancelling their season after we kicked their butts. Obviously, we shouldn’t either after a 2 point conference loss to a nationally ranked team.

Speaking of nationally ranked conference teams, keep an eye on Oklahoma State possibly inching up into the Top 25 soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

That steal was the game. Horns had way too many turnovers—a big reason they lost.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Great post.

Our fan base, and these boards, have needed more fans like you for a long time.

• Like Like x 3
  20. LonghornCatholic

Yeah I’m just frustrated. This was probably worst game of the season and it was hard to watch game slip away. Like Iowa State in football, we had it in our hands. Oh well, we definitely have the better athletes, so I’m sure we’ll get it together.

21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Shaka might have Jericho spending some extra practice time at the free throw line. It’s about the only weakness in his game that I can detect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. LonghornCatholic

No reason to poop you Chop, I’m just mad lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I’m not saying that Sims is Akeem, but when he was at UH, Akeem couldn’t hit free throws for his life. Other than that, he was an exceptional Center—best in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Does it seem to anyone else that whenever we play Tech, in any sport, it often comes down to the end and involves some weird bounce of the ball or strange play (onsides kick, buzzer beater shot, lucky catch or unlucky non-catch, odd turnover, etc.).

Tonight it was the stolen/handed off inbound pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I don't think anyone can deny Beard made the 1/2 time adjustments and Shaka didn't. 20 pts less than the 1st half, but the biggest stat - pts off turnovers:
    Tech - 19 Texas - 0

3 pt defense has been bad the last 3 games, letting WV and Tech both shoot better than their season average. We got lucky with KU when had a really off day with the 3, but Texas has to cover the 3 better without fouling. And the technicals :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes, that would be a good use of his practice time. :)
    Also, Jericho would benefit from developing some sort of shot from 3 to 5 feet from the basket. He needs this to help his future in the pros.
    Now, he has trouble making any shot that is not a dunk.

I love his game, but his draft stock would soar, as would the size of his bank account, if he could consistently hit either a 3-5 foot jumper, hook, or fade. Were he able to do that, with his innate athleticism, he would be unstoppable.
    I really love his attitude, toughness, hustle and incredible athleticism.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Turnovers and free throws, just that simple. Texas was due for a loss so cant take this too hard but hate to have it be a loss at home and in a game that was oh so winnable. Dream scenario has always been about 14-4 in conference so take this loss learn from it and move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

If Sims had a shooters touch he would be a 1st rounder. He simply has no wrist action. He's just like Shaq in that regard, and although practice helps he's never going to be a great shooter.

On his last time at the line I was actually hoping it was going to be a side out foul. We had a better chance of scoring on that than Sims making 2 FT's.

• Hot Hot x 1
  29. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Missed free throws and turn overs were the reason Texas lost.

Seems pointless to beat the fact that Shaka is not a good coach, I mean arent we in year 6 of his tenure and he needs time to get "his guys" in?

30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Right about the free throws and turnovers, but not about Shaka.

Shaka is a very good coach and program builder. Since when does Texas camp out in the Top 10 and look for a 1, 2, or 3 seed in the big dance? Shaka has us in the groove. His early build up years are now paying off. We are so fortunate to have him.