Texas Tech Has New Hires

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by justabbfan, Jul 9, 2017.

1. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

2. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Yes,very interesting. The earlier hire of Shimmey Gray-Miller looks excellent. She appears to be a great recruiter and to have hit the ground running. Swoops needs to rehab her career. She could be very good in the role she was hired to fulfill. Now Balcomb. Is Balcomb starting a new career as "a fixer"? The Tech roster looks like the reverse of previous years. Transfers have thinned the guard talent just as Tech appears to have some talent depth inside for the first time in several years. They will need to adjust the playbook.

3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Good staffing moves by Tech might just be what the Dr ordered if they will have a little more patience with Whitaker

4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I like the hire of Balcomb; but, it might be too little to late as they didn't sign a good 2017 class, and lost some transfers. The new coaches can't make up for the lack of roster depth and talent. One would think the won-loss record is critical to Whitaker's job.

For the immediate future, their 2018 verbals decommitted already. Will be tough for the new coaches to sign any difference -makers for 2018. Plus, I think this is Whitaker's last contract year as she has not received an extension.

5. Kidevu

Kidevu < 25 Posts

Your analysis is spot on. From what little I know, it doesn't appear 2018 recruiting is attracting any impact players. One correction though, in December 2015 they extended her contract through 2020. So she has three seasons to right the ship. Short of a major catastrophe, I think they will stick with her until 2020. Perhaps the new coaches will demonstrate some recruiting skills which have been lacking in the past.