Texas Tech WBB paying $25k per player

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by texexted, Jul 29, 2022.

1. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Texas Tech women’s basketball reportedly paying every player $25k in NIL deals.
    That’s one way to convince someone to move to Lubbock (Been there, done that).
    I have no doubt Texas has its own plans to recruit, pay and keep top players. It’s a new day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

That could certainly open doors for them with kids who would never otherwise consider Lubbock. Don’t see it being a “game changer” though in the dynamics of Texas recruiting

3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If anything, I really hope it spurs Texas to be more aggressive for WBB NIL.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Since Marsh Sharp retired 16 years ago, Texas Tech has had Kristy Curry, Candy Whitaker, Marlene Stallings and Krista Gerlich in charge. Only Curry made it to the NCAA tourney (twice), but could not win a game. That means Tech has not won an NCAA tourney game in 17 seasons.

Gerlich's first two seasons at Tech culminated with 10-15 and 11-18 records; and, that was with Vivian Gray on the court. With the talent remaining, I for sure don't see them as an NCAA tourney team. Can she show improvement and win more than 11 games; I wouldn't bet on it. If you're not winning, you have to win some recruiting battles and show your A.D. that you have incoming talent in the pipeline for the immediate future; maybe this NIL incentive will help; but, there's just over 3 months left before the November signing period for the class of 2023.

This new NIL could be great for Krista's successor (and an enticing perk to accepting the job) if she gets the boot next March.

Texas Tech Lady Raiders basketball - Wikipedia

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Before Gerlich, Tech was occasionally getting good starters from other teams to transfer in, Gerlich has been getting bench players from better teams…

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Born in ATX

Born in ATX 500+ Posts

An abysmal showing by this program, for sure. What is most interesting about this NIL announcement is what it doesn't say. It doesn't say they will receive $25,000 per year. Compare the Tech boosters' collective's statement on the men's football team:
    "The Matador Club has partnered to sign the entire football team to a one year, $25,000 NIL contract."

to the publicity-seeking statement on the WBB team:

"We are proud to announce that Level 13 Agency has committed $25,000 per Lady Raider in the Women's Basketball Locker Room! We see you, we hear you, and we support you ladies!" I would love to see what their NIL contracts really look like. The press release doesn't say 25k/yr., nor does it say they already have the funds committed. And, in fact, they don't. This "Level13 Agency" looks like the Tech collective formed just to funnel NIL money to the basketball athletes. They started their own podcast which has only 3 episodes. They had one of their members on this week to hype this deal. Among the things he said was: (1). that this was the first team wide NIL deal for a women's program (Wrong - Clark Field formed last Fall covers ALL UT athletes, regardless of gender), (2). "we think the biggest" (no way they'd know that); (3). "so we knew that [it] was going to create waves" (i.e. the real reason for the announcement). When asked about the nature of agreement, he said they sign the players to a guaranteed minimum through Level 13. Then, payments are broken up monthly "which allows us time to go find these deals for the players." He said it "puts pressure on us - we are going out on a limb." So they don't actually have the money yet to fund this. Also, nowhere in this 54 min. podcast does he say Tech WBB players get 25k/yr like the men's football team will:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

One thing we know for sure... we have the abilty to EASILY $urpa$$ anything they can concoct in Lubbock.

"I think they have a Dillard's out there."
    Jody Conradt

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

L
    LOL. I lived in Lubbock and yes, there was a Dillard’s. Actually - Tech alumni do have money to play with due to record profits for Big Oil. Surely they’re better off than many other Big 12 schools.

• Like Like x 2