Texas @ Texas Tech 02/09/22

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Feb 9, 2022.

1. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

True. But there may be a bigger picture we aren’t seeing. Not sure. One player can carry a game but one player can also screw up an entire game plan. She was 3-13 in the last game with 25 minutes of play. Again, just guessing here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Yes. Yes she is. But only in the fashion department.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We needed tonight's win badly (for so many reasons). Would have hated it (especially for in-state recruiting) had Vic gone 0-5 this season against the relatively new and young head coaches at Tech, Baylor, and OU.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Matharu has never impressed me as trying to be a hero. That would require selfishness and I don’t see that. She is hands down our best offensive weapon at this point. It’s hard to eat up offensive oxygen when the ones who play the most are shooting at an abysmal rate. Tech was literally playing off of Harmon, Audrey and JAT 6 or 7 feet and daring them to shoot. Unless we improve drastically in that area, it will be hard to go far in the big dance.... We NEED Matharu big time and we need to help her regain her confidence. Holle played well tonite.... No Hunter and I don’t get that....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

OMG......ROFLMAO.....

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Leave it ESPN to feature a photo of a player who didn't even see the court tonight . . .

8. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a Matharu fan. I’m not saying I agree, but I’m stringing together quotes from the last few pressers.

The lineups from the last three games including tonight have me confounded.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

But she has been our most consistent shooter. If you are going to point out her 3 for 13 performance, I can name several upper class men who shoot that poorly on a consistent basis. Matharu for the most part has been consistent and her 3 point shot has to be respected. Tech literally played 6 to 7 feet off our perimeter players daring them to shoot. Without real shooters, they can collapse and make it harder on our bigs which also makes it harder to effectively take them off the bounce.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The offensive plan was confusing to me. Pass-pass-pass-pass-pass look for a crease to drive into, no? pass-pass, then shoot from inside the arch. I hate the weave offense, but at least that was trying to go towards the basket. It's not like Tech had giants in the paint.

But what do I know? The team won with that offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Tech actually neutralized our inside game in Austin blocking shots and disrupting our dribble penetration and causing turnovers. I can only guess the gameplan was to NOT have a repeat of that; so, less dribbling would be one way to help that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  13. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

They always say dress for the job you want. I hope the Lady Raiderette Baton Twirlers don't shun her and she gets to take the field next fall.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Again. I’m guessing. If you have a better reason for her riding the bench, do tell.

I do know this much about Vic - he focuses on going deep in the tourney. Maybe he’s gambling now so that he has the right answers come March. Playing the long game so to speak…
    :idk:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  16. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Shae Hollie is becoming quite a contributor on the team and I think that is the cat’s ***. She’s obviously put in some hard work and I’m glad she got the start tonight. She didn’t disappoint

Vic keeps a lot of information close to the vest sometimes. Information that people here would like to have (as well as opponents no doubt). It was weeks later we found out the reason Hunter hadn’t been playing early in the season was because of injury if memory serves for example.

One thing is for sure, win or lose you can count on handwringing about players’ minutes and starts, which is fine. Part of the appeal of sports is armchair quarterbacking

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Those stars though...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Wait. From context I assume that is meant to be a good thing, but from just a literal reading it really doesn't sound good.

19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I can see where some of Vic's comments might be interpreted in such a way as to connect them back to Matharu. I can also see where those same comments could possibly be connected to Warren by the way she tries to do things she's not capable of doing and ends up turning the ball over. Whatever the case may be we certainly can't blame Matharu for eating up too much oxygen last night while our offense hobbled up and down the court on life support.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

It is very frustrating to watch her turn the corner with the dribble and lose the ball to a second defender. Or to her own knee.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I believe Kyndall being in a boot and in different team jacket on the bench (along with Kobi, and later Moore joined them) were the obvious clues that she was injured the first few weeks of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  22. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

A win.
    In the league.
    On the road.

Great job Ladies and Vic.
    Next..........

:texasflag::cowrose:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Maybe. Warren had some turnovers last night, but on the whole, I thought she played a fantastic game, holding down Gray's scoring and getting some much needed points and turnovers. For me, she and Lattimore were our most important players last night.

• Agree Agree x 6
  24. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

I believe we have nw seen what LLatimore can do!

• Like Like x 1
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Bobcat made a good point in watching the sagging zone. The zone negated the dribble drive penetration offense. I personally love that aspect of Schaefer’s offensive too box against man D. The zone just dared Harmon and at times JAT to shoot. But was extended to guard Matharu. Harmon needs a LOT of offensive work in the off-season on her BTA and mid-range shooting. Teams will just more and more sag or go under screens until she makes em pay. I think we’ll see her shooting much better next season. On a positive note, it was amazing to see Tech guards finally have to pick up their dribble because of Harmon’s quick, close dribbling defense. Then swarm the player and others trying to get a 5 second call. Veitenheimer is a good ball handler and she knows …and her coach was telling her …..but picking up her dribble was all she could do. I sure would hate to try and get my offensive initiated with Harmon in my hip pocket. I don’t think we value that part of her game enough.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  26. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

It was a little sad to see the attendance last night. Marsha Sharp had that arena rocking. Would be nice to see that again. Just for WBB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Among the rotation of players that Vic used last night, we wouldn't have won that game without Audrey. Would we have won if others had been a part of the rotation? Who knows?..

Edit: I remain completely perplexed at the rotation that did not include Hunter at all, saw very little of Moore, and had Matharu on the bench forever.

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I thought there was a time where it was not apparent, but I could be mistaken… or perhaps it was someone else.

29. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

You’ve never heard that term? Yes it’s meant as something desirable or ultra cool basically

30. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Unless *** stands for meow, I’ve never heard of it either. :smile1:

• Funny Funny x 4