Texas @ Texas Tech 02/09/22

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Feb 9, 2022.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

So I have used my CIA abilities and it appears that the assistant coach and recruiting coordinator that caused the uproar is Ashley Crawford. Ashley coached at Lamar, UTArlington and now Tech. I’m assuming the comment is true ……that she started the ruckus by not shaking hands with Schaefer. I hope they do make the B12 Tourney as we need more emotions in WBB. I would suggest Schaefer use a shocking hand buzzer for Ashley next time. Fun times.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I went back and watched Schaefer’s post game presser. I’m sure glad someone asked about the end of game dust-up. His answer is a classic. “NO”. Nuff said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Ok. Sure. But did anyone see Mulkey’s outfit tonight in the game against Georgia? Made Gerlich’s look conservative. :lmao:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Respectfully I'll remind you that you're not the moderator here. I don't recall anybody on this message board trying to censor you, so I'm not sure why you feel you have the right to censor others. Besides... It's all just tongue-in-cheek fun about the outfit. I don't think any of us actually give AF what any coach's wardrobe looks like. I know I don't. Thanks.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Because concentration on a female coach's clothing is old school demeaning. Like "look at that tramp, how the hell did she end up coaching a prestigious school like ours". "Oh, she's all tart'ed up". By focusing on their clothes or looks, it demeans their capabilities as a coach.

I'm not a moderator, I said please. I'm just someone pointing out that this is an old "dog whistle" from the 80's about female coaches.

This is floating around twitter:

• poop poop x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  6. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Mulkey saw Gerlich’s outfit and said “hold my beer…”

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  7. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

No. It’s not. It’s called humor. If Schaefer dressed like a clown I’d make fun of him too. If a Texas fan can’t find a little humor at the expense of Kim Mulkey (or Gerlich) they shouldn’t be on a UT fan forum.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Your suggestion that fans on a women's basketball forum would post anything intentionally demeaning to women simply because of their gender is about as asinine as Gerlich's comments, insinuating that a male who coaches women's basketball and only hires women would attack women. Relax a little, would ya? We are all here because we celebrate women's athletics and all who make them go. Krista (Kirkland) Gerlich, in spite of some of her ways, was a really good player on Tech's 1993 Championship team and she's one helluva coach as well.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  9. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

The broadcasters mentioned her attire in great detail about the shoes (even showing photos of shoes in previous games before tipoff).
    Save the lectures for somebody who is actually demeaning women. Or use the scroll or ignore button but I will NOT be accused of something I did not do, much less think. Thank you

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Back to actual post-game discussion. I guess I can summarize things by stating we played much better in the matchup in Lubbock than we did in Austin, especially on the defensive end. So, take the win no matter how tight it was albeit for a couple of minutes half-way through the 4th quarter, and focus on the next game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I suggest to you it was more of a team effort, but I bet there was some outstanding individual work involved.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I for one find it interesting what people CHOOSE to wear. I always found Mulkeys outfits entertaining. I don’t judge her personally for it. Vic wears a suit every time, Regan Pebley wears athletic gear, Gerlich wore a pseudo STAR infused semi West Tx BATON TWIRLING AMBASSADOR TO THE WORLD outfit, Mulkey a kaleidoscope jacket, Dawn Staley is back and forth between leather and sometimes athletic wear, etc. THAT, in and of itself, is not judgment, and their choices in attire are merely a form of self expression. AND I personally have yet to see any poster on our board demean women. I personally think Gerlich’s comments about Vic were a perfect example of failing to take responsibility for berating our scorekeeper, and much akin to the Baptist mentality of egregious behavior towards others, then conveniently dwarf into victim mode, all the while vilifying the one who called her out for her behavior. A simple, yet non effective strategy that simply doesn’t work anymore. I also think she is trying to paint Vic as anti women and harm him and our program. Her comments were classless and baseless, and speak to the core of her character. My judgment is based solely on her behavior and words. She has shown us who she is!!! Interesting because Vic is ALWAYS complimentary towards Gerlich....

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  13. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Good post but I’m staying on the sidelines for now on the issue of coaching attire comments. Though I agree it is interesting to see the different choices. Strongly agree with second part of post on Coach Gerlich’s behavior! Maybe she was inspired by recent spat between Arizona Coach Barnes and Oregon Coach Graves.

• Like Like x 1
  14. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Re game dress, I’m sure we remember when Tina was here that she wore expensive couture house fashion, Italian leather boots and big jewelry. It was fun to see what she was wearing. She was quite a fashionista but in a tasteful way, not loud and gaudy like some others who will remain unnamed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

And Karen Aston had impeccable style.
    Gay men are big supporters of women’s hoops and we notice these things. It’s in our DNA.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Karen was always sharp as a tack!

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I find this small potatoes dust-up kinda interesting. Schaefer has tried to present himself as a “good guy”. I can’t remember which early game it was, or exactly why but probably related to officials, but Schaefer felt it necessary to say….I’m not a bad guy…..I’m a good guy. I haven’t heard any specific charges against Schaefer…..or I’ve forgotten. However, I do think he “doesn’t suffer fools”. Things like other coaches berating his scorekeepers, or refusing to shake his hand, definitely are not going to be ignored. The TV announcers commented at the end that “there always seems to be chippiness when playing Texas. They were Tech announcers so might be biased, Schaefer has consistently said that EVERY team gets up for Horns because of the TEXAS across the jersey. And he understood that when he took the job. So perhaps the competitive nature of all Texas games may lead up to this chippiness opinion. I’m going to pay more attention to what other coaches, officials, administrators say about a Schaefer led team. I don’t think he’s a bad guy trying to show up anybody. Tech had a very good year last year…..unexpectedly for first year staff. This year they are competitive but their B12 record is poor in year two. Perhaps it’s just the pressure the Tech staff is feeling in the middle of a losing streak. I like the Tech coaches ability and hope all this is transitory. It does make it interesting.

• Funny Funny x 1