Texas to host KSU on Sunday, 02/17/19

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Feb 15, 2019.

1. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

2. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Do you think more shooting drills will improve their ability to make layups? /s

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Also, just in general, KSU sucks this year. A 2-3 zone is a pretty common element of basketball, it really has no business being the type of thing that results in a crappy team pulling off a win on a theoretically far superior team's home court.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

DISAGREE with 99% of what you are saying, but will not get into a back and forth with you..mostly because you at least need to learn to correctly spell the words you are using, and use them correctly, otherwise you are not very credible. And I do NOT think you are paying attention, I think you see what you want to see...things that are just not there..just watching games does not give you whole picture.

• poop poop x 1
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

First of all I give less than half a crap about what a delusional person thinks about me and my credibility. Please tell me which words I used that are misspelled... Typos do occur. By the way, oh master of rhetoric, the fact that you can't think of anything better to do than attack spelling (which has nothing to do with basketball) shines a huge spotlight on the fact that even you realize your argument (which by the way lacks any TRUE basketball knowledge) is nothing but one big pile of :e-poo:

P.S. Thanks for letting me know reeks (not wreaks) was spelled/used incorrectly... I'll make note of that. I guess you're good for something after all.... Felicia.

• Like Like x 4
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  6. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I do believe there is not a good connection with Karen and her player's. Texas look bad in the month of February. To me, that fall's on the Coach.Something is not clicking this year. I can't put my hand on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Despite the heaping of blame on Karen (pure contempt in one case), I don't believe she is the fundamental reason we're not having a super great year (so far). Yes, we should not have been beaten twice by KSU, and I agree that attacking a zone is a weak point for us. But, IMO, the main fact is we only have one player I would call a great player at this point and that is Sug (not so much against KSU this week). I just watched Oregon vs. Oregon State. We simply do not have an Ionescu or a Slocum with their great supporting casts. We don't have a Durr, or UConn's Collier or KLS, or an Ogunbowale. I hate to call out names, but I will. Danni and Jatarie are very good when they're on. Everyone else has their strengths, some really good moments, and I love to watch them play. If we had had Higgs, it would have made a huge difference. And I think Sedona probably would have made us a lot stronger down low, especially on defense. I think Charli has the potential to be a great player as she learns and gets more time. The other freshmen could surprise us and get to close to greatness, also, but not this year.

And all coaches have their bad games, too. The vaunted Tara got beat by, what was it, 40 points or something just last week? Geno and Muffett have been taken down this year, as has Kim.

I don't care how many McDonald's AA's we have. Those are based on high school reputation and are often don't end up reflecting at all what develops over the next four years. And I do not believe the line that the only thing keeping us from greatness is that our coaches do not "develop" the players. They are "developing" them as hard they can, but you can't humanly turn someone into something they are not.

In the meantime, we have a pretty good team this year and I will continue to enjoy them and hope they do well. And next year, I believe we will probably be up a notch or two from this year, especially if Lashann comes back strong.

• Like Like x 5
    • WTF? WTF? x 2
  8. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

Really? You think so?

9. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

That’s
    That is the problem..... someone has sold y’all on the thought that “they” have to be developed. The MDAA or the high school standout have to be “developed” and that’s not “humanly” possible to do. (Which is what was said).

Getting acclimated into a new environment is one thing and that’s totally different from development.

Solution..... coach to your talents. Stop trying to reinvent what you are blessed with having on your team . Be that mega coach who coaches into this program the strengths you worked so hard to receuit. Now be that special coach that uses it completely.
    I don’t see point guards developing to be post. So why are we trying to make a banger a banger and that’s not what you recruited. ( I’m just saying). So you honestly think you’ll see Sedona’s strength with jumpers and shooting threes outside? That’s her specialty along with blocking on defense. No... her frame makes her a banger but she is not that on offense. So if Charli have to post up on 6’7 and up players... then expect to see Sedona do the same. It’ll take a while to “develop” that and you readers will get frustrated once again and talk about not being humanly possible to change someone.

Come on! Coaches didn’t create the skills that these special players come to TEXAS with, so be creative and use their strengths as “ develop” it into your plays. Create new ones!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Classic case of aforementioned cognitive dissonance... not even worth the time and energy to address it. Have a nice day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

@cc fan you are so right!
    Unfortunately... rather than looking at the talent pool on the team, evaluating the strengths/weaknesses and then coming up with strategies that maximize the strengths and compensate (as much as possible) for the weaknesses, it is KA's style to force square pegs into the round pigeon-holes in her "system." This is because she lacks innovation and creativity as a coach which proves she is not an elite basketball mind, and doesn't seem to want anyone on her staff to have a better feel for the game than her either. Without an elite basketball mind SOMEWHERE on the bench (and being given the freedom to incorporate their knowledge) we'll never be a truly elite program.

Putting these highly regarded players in a position to be successful in their natural abilities while working to improve their weaknesses is what DEVELOPS them to their full potential. For the person who says McDonald's All American honors mean nothing? Please go back to bed and try getting out on the opposite side. Those honors certainly mean something to every coach of every major program in the nation (and all the others too).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  12. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

Exactly!

The fans and alumni are given this illusion that the players are not who they “say” they are. You give these highly acclaimed players a few minutes here and there. They miss the one shot they were given and you say they should work on their layups! So funny! But was only in there 3 minutes. So these fans fall for the illusion and make vast comments about the MDAA’s. So the mind games begin when you read the articles about potential and the fans saying” she’s getting better” “hang in there”, “she’s learning”. I crack up every time! Because of the ignorance. And that is not a bad thing... the fans just do not understand.

So how can you say the potential of “ Charli” and the for sure production of Sedona and she has not “weathered this Storm”.

Y’all see what you are allowed to see. You have yet to see Charli’s full skill set! She has weapons that you have not seen used at all! So go figure. Do you think she’s saving it for a rainy day?

Texas better use what they have because that duo made a heck of a duo on the summer circuit! While in HS!

• Like Like x 1
  13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I’ve seen Charlie play and have been following her basketball career since she committed to Texas initially and I’m wondering what other weapons are you talking about?

14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The fans that fall for the "crap" don't TRULY know basketball. I hope they never actually played... If they did they either had horrible coaching themselves or just weren't capable of learning. Just because one is at EVERY SINGLE GAME doesn't make one understand what they're seeing.

As far as Charli and Sedona... I've never been more excited in the past 30 yrs than I have been about those two. My heart aches for the challenges Sedona is currently facing. She's a tough kid and a SWWETHEART... I'm praying for a full recovery for her, not just for the team but for her as an individual.

Charli... That kid has a skil set and basketball savvy out of this world. I get mad watching every game knowing she's not being fully utilized and developed. If KA's ineptitude as a coach and her negativity towards THE WORLD makes Charli (and or others) leave, then I'm done!!! CdC better do something about the situation...

We had 10 McDonald's All Americans last year and might be looking at only two or three next year if something isn't done. I don't have personal knowledge of that, it's just a feeling in my gut...the same feeling I had last year when Patterson, Littleton, and Boothe weren't being played as they SHOULD HAVE BEEN. The old hateful, angry woman routine ain't working.

Yeah we've got 20 wins... Against the weakest schedule we've ever had in my memory... and struggled to win most of those when we should have been beating teams soundly. There are four McDonald's All Americans starting and grad transfer that's just as good. Another super youth All American subbing in and some other very capable players that I bet most of the other teams in the conference WISH they had... so what's the freaking problem??? The coach!

#disgusted!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I’ve seen Charlie play numerous times but I’m still wondering what specific weapons has she not shown thus far? And I know that you’ve been on the fire Coach Aston crusade for some time now but for better or worse it’s not going to happen. That’s why my focus has been for her to bring in an offensive mind to help her.

16. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

Well it’s obvious you don’t know her as a player from high school. That is ok too. But do you think they are on this collegiate level because they are one dimensional?

Well I guess when you see something different then you’ll say she learned it from TEXAS.

I’m speaking for all of the new players. They are all versatile and have way more to offer that what is seen in the few minutes they are given in this style of play.

Hope it gets better so their skills will be maximized!

• Like Like x 1
  17. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Again, what specific weapons has she not shown. We know that she can step out and hit the perimeter jump shot she’s done that this year. And I hate to use a corny cliche but one of the things that annoys me about basketball today especially on the women’s side is that players AND fans don’t want to go through the process anymore it’s all instant gratification. I’m fine with that but the player should make sure they choose a school where there’s not a lot of competition at their position so they can get more playing time.

18. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

It’s more than the playing time! I think you are trying to overlook the main idea. The PLAYS! You can get a lot out of talented players if used in a more productive PLAY!
    You just have to know more about this game to get what I’m saying. You will always be on the other side of this conversation. ( I’ll try to convince you all day and I can’t.)
    Have a great day!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

Ariel Atkins had a great high school career. She did okay at Texas. Some of you would think she did above average , possibly magnificent! But to me, she’s awesome in the WNBA! A different style of plays best represented her WEAPONS! Coaches know how to use “ that”. They are pros at identifying players that CAN do what they need in there gameplan!
    Look at Brianna Turner.... my views only.... I thought she was amazing in high school. In college, I’m not seeing all that she’s capable of because of the type of gameplan she’s in. Yes, she’s dominating but I can only imagine how she will be utilized on the next level. Oh my Goodness!

So it’s not about the minutes. Yes it could be more to get them ready. But I’m excited for this team to have JOYNER as a an upper class man. She’s a beast to me! The growth of the younger players will come while gaining more time. That’s not my issue and it’s sure not the competition to get more minutes.

( MY VIEWS ONLY). I wish them all well and yes I want them to win and be happy about it!

Just get creative! That’s all!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

@BBV_Horn since you're such a credible basketball expert, how about you tell us IN CREDIBLE BASKETBALL TERMINOLOGY what the problem is, rather than attacking those who think KA is an inept coach?
    Waiting...:popcorn:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  21. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

brnkj, out of your many angry assertions, I'm just curious, where do you get the one that Karen doesn't listen to her assistant coaches, constantly gripes at them, and runs some of them off. Is that something you just kind of figured out, or do you go to practices and see her ignoring them and being nasty to them, or did they tell you personally that she constantly gripes at them and won't listen, or what? Who did she run off? Tina? Travis? They did get head coaching jobs and no doubt major salary increases. One of those is a major plum -- UVa. Are there others I'm forgetting?

22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

JoeDallas...never mind. It's not even worth debating your cluelessness. I'm not credible anyway... I don't know anyone or anything. Everyone has (and is entitled to) his/her own opinion. How about we just leave it at that? I'm only angry about the fact we're a talented team that's not well-coached. In case you hadn't noticed we're trending downward. Look at the polls... barely hanging on in the Top 20.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  23. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I agree. Let's let it rest. Yep, I know we went down in the polls.

• Like Like x 1
  24. leanderhorn

leanderhorn 25+ Posts

Yes, Charli looks like she will be a gem. She needs to break the habit of holding the ball too low. This habit eliminates her height advantage. Once that is learned, look out!

• Like Like x 1
  25. leanderhorn

leanderhorn 25+ Posts

Atkins was a superior basketball player for Texas. Super player, worker and rep for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

Very much so! CLASS ACT!
    For TEXAS style of play, she was AMAZING!

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. cc fan

cc fan 25+ Posts

You are so right! And you’d think that would have been brought to her attention earlier! Who’s job is that! Who’s watching film and making corrections on that. Come on... let’s “develop” a complete player. You have her so let’s do it. Smh

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes she was! I totally agree that, as good as she was at Texas, she was limited by the coaching philosophy she played under. She went to the WNBA in her rookie season and pretty much produced the same (statistically speaking) as she had in college. I feel that under a better collegiate coach she would have produced much more and been an All-American.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  29. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I always felt like Texas never took advantage of Ariel's talent, and I think what she's done in the WNBA proves it. That's certainly not a good rendition of the coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Ariel did much the same thing for the Mystics that she did for us, except that for us she was keyed on by the opponent, whereas on the Mystics she was given much less attention by the opponent. The only real difference I noticed in her style of play was that she fouled less for Washington, which was a huge improvement. I do think she gained a ton of confidence last year and will be great for the Mystics again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1