Texas to Stay in Big 12?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stanhin, Jun 14, 2010.

2. Kaiser Sose

Kaiser Sose 100+ Posts

3. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

I'll believe it when I see it.

4. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

I don't doubt that a multi-team agreement to go to the Pac is imminent but with Aggy on board, it's not the only potential outcome.

Aggy's wish to join the SEC eliminates any other possibility.

5. txhorn2010

txhorn2010 250+ Posts

If this happens I will do my best to try and vomit on Deloss Dodds.... Okay maybe that is an over reaction.

With that said, there is zero percent chance this happens. A&M is gone to the SEC. This is just Dodds trying to spin the media for us.

Only positive to this happening would be giving Big 10 more time to put together a Texas, OU, Notre Damn, A&M package [​IMG]

6. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

Two things:

- This is disinformation put out by Bellmont in response to the State Leg poking their noses into the matter.

- This is a trap to force aggy to explain to the State Leg why they plan to bolt for the SEC and break up the Big XII on Wednesday. We end up joining the Pac 10 anyway, and aggy comes off looking like the bad guy.

If the powers-that-be want it to happen, it will happen.

7. Touchdown_Texas

Touchdown_Texas 500+ Posts

If we stay, aggy won't go. Wouldn't make sense for them and they can't justify it.

If they're leaving because the conference it breaking up, well it's not.
    If they're leaving because they'll be making more money, well they'll have to give back 10M of that.

This is of course assuming Chip is right and Espn is wrong.

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I think UT has to listen to Beebe, listen to the WAC, listen to the Big Ten, let the regents meet, let the politicians grandstand and orate, then approve the Pac 10 deal.
    This might take a couple of weeks instead of a couple of days.
    Aggy agreed to be one of the six team package to the Pac 10 initially, it would appear, and now they are the ones backing out, and they will incur a lot of wrath from the other teams if they welsh on the deal now. We well may cancel our games with them in the future, ala U of Houston. But we'll see.
    Aggy may still decide to go with the Pac 10 group of six.
    The financial deal should be just as good, the travel problem is very manageable, it just doesn't let little aggy take the training wheels off'n their tricycle like they want. They think they are ready to climb the Alpe d'Huez on that thing, but in reality they will be lucky to pedal it around the block.

9. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

Either Schad is right or Brown is right, or there are multiple sources in the Admin that have no clue what they are talking about, or Dodds is just playing a PR game knowing all along that he is going to the Pac 10. Its all pretty opaque and confusing at this point, and its hard to know what or whom to believe.

Here is the quote from the link above:

"Sources: Departure to Pac-10 imminent
    By Joe Schad
    ESPN
    The departure of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the Pac-10 is imminent, four sources within the Big 12 Conference said Monday.
    One source said Dan Beebe's last-minute plan to save the conference has "zero" chance to succeed. Another source said it is "very unlikely" to succeed.
    Texas' interests in being aligned with the research opportunities and academic missions of Pac-10 schools is driving the decision, along with money.
    Beebe's last-ditch plan included an emotional plea about preserving rivalries and maintaining the best welfare of the student-athlete, one source said.
    Texas A&M is now most likely to join the SEC, a source within the Big 12 said. This move, in the wake of Colorado and Nebraska's departure, would further diminish the chance of Beebe's plan succeeding, one source said.
    Texas' decision is expected to come no later than Tuesday. One source familiar with Texas' plans suggested a hearing on Wednesday at the Texas House of Representatives is "a nonfactor."
    Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN."

For my part, I would never buy season tickets for a 9 game conference schedule of OU, OSU, KU, KSU, aTm, UM, Baylor, Tech and ISU. I doubt any national BCS voter would give such a conference any respect either. It would basically be a midwestern version of the old SWC, except each school would be on the constant look-out to bail for a better opportunity, making it inherently unstable and vulnerable.

For all its pros and cons, the Pac 16 is clearly a much better option for sports, especialy football. That is also happens to be a much better association for the university (in terms of prestige, research dollars, etc) is icing on the cake.

I hope Schad is right and Brown is wrong.

10. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

What if we keep the Big 12 (10), but A&M goes to SEC and we replace A&M with TCU? That would certainly be a step up in football talent. Plus, TCU plays some pretty good baseball, too, or so I'm led to believe. [​IMG]

11. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

You ever see those nature shows where all the ponds dry up in the Amazon and the piranhas dry up and die?

We are the piranhas and the Big XII is the shrinking pond. Time to move on.

12. Dr.Spot

Dr.Spot 100+ Posts

Chip Brown on Tim Brando radio
    -Texas trying to see if A&M is gone
    -Chip says he will stick to his sources & Texas is staying in the Big 12. He heard Joe Scad but sticks with his sources
    - would happen today
    -tv network made assurance to Don Beebe that they want Big 12(10). network realized that colorado & nebraska happened so fast they had to move now doesn't want to lose out & will overpay.
    -brando thinks schad report is a smokescreen for ESPN for not having to go against Fox pac-16 in a tv deal.
    Chip Brown agrees
    - Chip thinks Longhorn Network worth 3-5 additional rev.
    -puts Texas at 22-25 million total tv revnue if stay in Big 12 & keep Longhorn network.

13. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa 500+ Posts

I bet they do agree to it. They don't seem to be very good at negotiating.

14. accuratehorn

There's no link to aggy agreeing to the six-team Pac 10 deal, but do you think UT or OU just invented the story? There had to be at least a handshake deal among those six teams, and you can bet the other five won't be very happy if one of those teams renigs. It sounds like Byrne agreed to go along with the deal, then McKinney got delusions of grandeur and wanted to court the SEC, causing a split among the aggy decision makers.

15. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

16. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

17. 1leggedduck

1leggedduck 1,000+ Posts

At this point, I'm kind of past giving a f**k what aggie will agree to. Go be barely average and very strange somewhere else.

18. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

Regardless of what happens next, I find it most humorous and appropriate that aggy is so openly and willingly to play as the SEC's newest *****.

Seriously aggyeric, you and so many of your aggy brethren are so hopped up on "trumping Texas" and our endeavors to acquire our Longhorn Network that you'd willingly "offer your services" to the first customer that comes along who would "promise" to love you, coddle you and treat you better than those mean, old Longhorns. And in return, you would allow the SEC to use you like a cheap slut and open the Texas recruiting door to them in ways just to get a boost to your pathetically sensitive ego. That and to be able to thumb your pointy nose at the school who is the #1 academic representative of the very State that feeds you.

When this collective house of cards eventually comes crashing on the head of the aggy nation, don't expect anyone in this state to throw you a pity party. You can, however, expect for us to give you that "we told you so" look.

Have fun playing the doormat of the SEC, as you are looking like you will get everything that you are asking for.

19. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

20. Orange Marrow

Orange Marrow 250+ Posts

I'm amazed at the amount of naiveté on this thread. Some of you clearly do not understand the phenomenon of posturing. Let’s review some basic facts:

1. The Big XII is the sick man of BCS conference football. Like the Ottoman Empire of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, everyone is waiting for the inevitable day when it finally dies so they can stake their claims to the estate. Whether that day is tomorrow or two years from now is irrelevant.
    2. Texas is the crown jewel of the empire’s estate. The s00ners also have significant value. aggy is like the weather-beaten armoire you see at an Arkansas flea market to which is affixed a handmade cardboard sign proclaiming it as “Napoleon’s Trophy Case.” Sure, it looks like it could be made from European old-growth forest, and the inlays are impressive, but even if it turns out to be the real deal, odds are even it would cost you more to fix it up than you could get out of it; the return on investment just isn’t there. The rest of the conference is so much bric-a-brac.
    3. The Big XII-lite proposal is a win-win-win for Texas. Everyone’s in, you say? Great. UT is still king of the hill and gets its own sports network to boot. Think we’re gonna give that up in a couple of years when the conference does fold? Everyone’s in but aggy, you say? No problem. We take their $10M (cash only, aggy; we’ve seen the dirty laundry hanging out the window of your AD’s accounting office, and it ain’t pretty), still get our own network, still get to go where we want when the league folds, and as a bonus get to watch aggy become the SEC’s new beyotch. aggy walks and the league folds this week? It’s been a nice run, but we can’t control what other schools do. Too bad, so sad, time to move on, soak up some west coast sunshine and dominate two of the most fertile recruiting hotbeds in TX and CA.

21. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

22. txhorn2010

txhorn2010 250+ Posts

^^ This. Let's get this over with. Let A&M do what they think is best for them and let us do what we think is best for us.

23. accuratehorn

Sorry, aggieeric98, I have no more knowledge of what really is being discussed than any other fan, but there has to have been more than just UT expecting A&M to go along with us if we go to the Pac 10. There had to be behind the scenes discussions and an assumed agreement of some sort for the Pac 10 to feel they had this deal nearly done.

24. dgnr8

dgnr8 100+ Posts

Of all the horrible scenarios, keeping the ex-Big12 alive is the worst imo.

All of a sudden we are a part of a joke of a conference. What did it take? 2 weeks for this to come about? Just wow.

25. Orange Marrow

Orange Marrow 250+ Posts

26. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I like the idea of keeping a Big-12 lite for one reason: no championship game. The regular season decides all. I'm VERY good with that.

As for A&M, if the public utterings of Gene Stallings reveal anything it's that they live their life solely to prove their worth head to head with Texas. It's not exactly living life "fat, drunk and stupid," but it's a life built around emotion and obsession. Sounds like a fruit ripe to pop out a big mistake.

28. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It could have been a nascency fruit metaphor...

30. OU Sucketh

OU Sucketh 25+ Posts