Texas to the Alamo Bowl

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Torito, Dec 8, 2019.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Well, I'm not surprised. Utah is mormon country, and those guys have more wives and young-un's than I have teeth. So, he's probably telling the truth about that.

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

check out HC Whittingham's bowl record--his first game was the night of VY and 'Horns beating meatchicken as he was taking over for Urban Meyer (who left for Florida) in the Fiesta Bowl. His bowl record is 11-2 with an L coming last year in the Holiday Bowl vs Northwestern

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

While their coach is Mormon, University of Utah has been predominately Catholic. BYU, Utah State, Boise, Oregon State and Wazzou have been predominately Mormon because of the Ag departments.

I serve on a board with a guy from Southwestern Idaho. He and his multiple sons own thousands of acres of farm land across three states. He always tells me that I can't eat a "non Mormon potato" unless a grow it myself

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

Back in the day, the Alamo Bowl was a peripheral bowl - nothing to write home about. Over the years, it has ascended the pecking order pretty quickly to a blue ribbon bowl just shy of the ND1 bowls. Every year, it garners rave reviews from sponsors and participants. San Antonio knows how to throw a party. Considering we were looking at the crappy Camping or Academy Bowl (suck it aggy!), this Alamo Bowl invite is our chance to catapult our flailing program to a trophy cup finish against a ranked opponent. If Herman plays to his strength against a ranked team, we reap a recruiting boost into next year. In other words, you should care because there is a lot on the line for a young Texas team. :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

San Antonio does a great job with the Alamo Bowl, and there is plenty to do before and after the game. I'd be going this year if I could but we have family here for the Holidays and we'll be watching our Horns for sure. I'm saving the big trip for when the Horns make the NCG next year. (Hey! I can dream can't I?)

• Like Like x 5
  6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I think a Hornfans Alamo Bowl tailgate would be awesome. Anyone interested?

7. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

And it's still a 2nd tier consolation prize for teams whose seasons fell short...or maybe the occasional scrappy team on the rise...and that's not us. Apart from some of the fans on both sides, the rest of the country doesn't care about the Alamo bowl nor should they. Look, you'll get no argument from me that it eclipses stuff like Armed Buffalo or Cheez Responder bowls but this matchup doesn't excite me any more in Tom Herman's third year than all those Holiday Bowls we went to with Mack after he came up short.

Our team has been 'young' for a f'n decade now. There are coaches in this country who have done more in less time and with less regarded athletes than we have. I know San Antonio knows how to party - I was born here, I live here, and Ms. Sapo and I go out quite a bit. When I told her that a Texas home game was coming to town we did the math on the tickets ...and the Ubers ...and the drinks... and the dinners... and the crowds...and the quality of the product on the field. She said, "What do you think?" and I said, "I think I wrote this team off weeks ago and I'm done opening my wallet for Texas this year".

• Hot Hot x 1
  8. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

It's the dreaded Benjamin Button Effect. It can happen to football teams, too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I hear what you are saying, but out of the entirety of the FBS there are only two teams who haven't fallen short prior to the final game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Ultimately that's true....although I certainly didn't have those expectations this year. Fast tracking this : I'm frustrated, the same as a lot of y'all. I'm ready for this team to be good. I'm ready to win some Big 12 Championships. I'm ready to have top 10 teams and at least be in the mix and let the cards fall where they may. I've been frustrated for a long time... I'm not interested in looking for the bright spots of going to the Alamo bowl. I'm ready to watch the Oklahomas and Baylors of the world go to that bowl while we play for bigger prizes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and TCU's and ISU's ^^^^^

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Fact is, if it weren't for sports betting (all different kinds) nobody would give a s--- about tuning in to about 90% of any of these bowl games.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

When I posted that I did not for one second consider it wasnt true. I saw and said, "yep."

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Last year, it was Georgia -12

• Like Like x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Considering the season we had, we’re lucky to get the Alamo Bowl.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Some of us like all college football and will take any we can get!

@LonghornCatholic There can be no doubt UT will always be the best draw for the Alamo Bowl and San Antonio.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I admit I was wondering about this given our last home attendance
    Well done, as usual

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

There is always Red Stick next year. Should be great if one can get tickets.

20. BurntOrangeLH

I thought it was Georgia-14. Regardless, it was hopeless! Biggest spread in NY Day bowl, maybe the whole bowl season.

21. BurntOrangeLH

Blow U is another one-and-done in the CFP this year. Hopefully we can send them to a NY Day bowl game next year so they can take that baby step to get a win.

22. BurntOrangeLH

That is what happens when you recruit talent each year that is above the level of the previous years. A tough row to hoe, but eventually you get to the top four years in a row.

23. BurntOrangeLH

24. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

We will talk about lucky after the game, we might not feel so lucky by then.

25. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I believe Roach and Duvernay have a good shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. RainH2burntO

And here is his opponents in those games:
    Georgia Tech
    Tulsa
    Navy
    Alabama
    California
    Boise State L 26-3
    Georgia Tech
    Colorado State
    Brigham Young
    Indiana

West Virginia
    Northwestern L 31–20

I couldn't find a 13th game. Impressive record, no doubt, but take out Bama, maybe WVU, and ..meh...

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  28. LonghornCatholic

Watch Utah HS coaches show up.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I for one would be happy to build a few more in-roads into that state. Their state is rich in what we need, quality big boys on the offensive and defensive line.

30. RainH2burntO

Four things stood out to me reading up on the Utes a bit...

How many times the media and coaches point to the number of experienced seniors they have comtributing to a very good defense

How many times good health and lack of injuries is referenced

Their OC is the 9th in 11 seasons...let that sink in (One of the other seasons it was that same person fwiw)

The amount of times it is referenced how many people in their organization from head coach on down who have ties/history to that area and community, football and otherwise (a consistent culture)

• Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019