Texas travels to Ames on Saturday, 02/24/18

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Feb 22, 2018.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Both #6/#8 Texas (22-5; 13-3) and unranked Iowa State (12-15; 6-10) are coming off losses as they meet Saturday in Ames, Iowa. The loss to Baylor snapped a seven game Texas winning streak. ISU had a two game winning streak snapped by OU. Currently, Texas is in second place in the Big 12 while ISU is in seventh place. Horns won the first game between the two teams this season to run their series record to 15-18, advantage ISU. The teams split last year’s games, with each winning on the other’s home court.

IOWA STATE CYCLONES
    Bridget Carleton (#21, 6-1 Jr. G) and Emily Durr (#3, 6-0 Sr. G) lead the Cyclones with 19.2 ppg and 13.0 ppg, respectively. Madison Wise (#1, 6-1 Fr. F) ranks third at 8.4 ppg. No other player averages more than Adriana Camber’s (#13, 5-10 Soph. F) 5.9 ppg. Carleton (108-282; 38.3%) and Durr (66-175; 37.7%) are the primary shooters for ISU. Meredith Burkhall (#32, 6-3 Jr. F) has the best FG% at 41.9% (36-86). Carleton (36-108; 33.3%), Durr (27-84; 32.1%) and Camber (24-82; 29.3%) are the primary 3pt shooter for the Cyclones. The one to watch, though, is Wise, who is making 45.0% of her treys (27-60). The other 3pt threat is Rae Johnson (#4, 5-7 Fr. G) who has taken 54 treys and made 11 (20.4%). Of the ten players that have played for the Cyclones, seven are making over 73% of their FTs. Carleton (55-70; 78.6%) and Durr (49-61; 80.3%) are the only ones to take more than 20 FTs. Durr’s 80.3% is the highest on the team other than Nia Washington’s (#10, 5-7 Soph. G) 100% on two of two FTs. Bride Kennedey-Hopoate (#12, 6-4 Jr. F) is the only other Cyclone to make at least 80% (12-15).

Durr (3.8 apg) and Carleton (2.8 apg) do more than score. They lead the team in assists. Two more players, Wise and Johnson average more than one assist per game at 1.3 and 1.1 apg, respectively. Carleton (32, 2.0 spg) is one of three Cyclones to have reached double digit steals in conference play. The other two are Durr (15; 0.9 spg) and Camber (10; 0.6 spg). Carleton and Claire Ricketts (#30, 6-3 RS Jr. F) are the leading shotblockers for ISU with 12 (0.8 bpg) and 11 (0.8 bpg) in 16 and 13 league games, respectively.

Carleton and Wise are the only two players that have started all 16 league games. All ten players on the active roster have played in at least ten games and nine have at least one start. Nine of the ten average at least 12 mpg with Carleton (37.3 mpg) and Durr (31.3 mpg) topping the group. Two players are redshirting this season, freshman Lauren Mills (6-2 F/C) and senior Alexa Middleton (5-9 G), a transfer from Tennessee.

TEXAS LONGHORNS
    Ariel (14.6 ppg), Brooke (14.1 ppg) and LaShann (13.6 ppg) pace the Longhorns in scoring. Jatarie continues to move towards double digit scoring at 9.5 ppg. The current five starters are the only players to have reached double digit FG attempts. They are bracketed by Brooke (207 FG attempts) and Joyner (117 FG attempts). Five Longhorns are shooting over 50% from the field, led by LaShann at 54.2% and Ariel at 53.6%. No Longhorn is hitting 40% or better from BTA. But both Brooke (34.2%) and Alecia (31.6%) have snapped out of their shooting slumps from BTA. Brooke continues to be the main 3pt threat with 29 more attempts than second place Ariel, 79 to 50 treys attempted. Among the top four 3pt shooters for Texas, Brooke now has the best 3pt FG% at 34.2% while Rellah continues as the team leader in 3pt FG% at 36.4% on 4-11. Brooke, Ariel and LaShann are among the leaders in FTs made, attempted and FT%. They are the only three making at least 70% of their FTs other than Khaléann (2-2, 100%) and Audrey-Ann who is currently out with a wrist injury. Brooke has made 33 of 37 (89.2%) while Ariel has sunk 37 of 42 (88.1%) and LaShann has dropped in 39-52 (75.0%).

Joyner (6.3 rpg), Ariel (6.0 rpg) and Jatarie (5.5 rpg) are the top three rebounders for the Horns. Brooke comes in fourth at 4.4 rpg. Brooke also averages 4.4 apg. Ariel adds 2.9 apg and LaShann dishes out 2.4 apg. Alecia adds 1.7 apg off the bench. Ariel remains the only active player with double digit blocks—12 (0.8 bpg) with Audrey-Ann out. Five players have double digit steals in conference games, led by Ariel (45; 2.8 spg), LaShann (29; 1.8 spg) and Brooke (23; 1.4 spg).

The starting lineup of Brooke, Ariel, LaShann, Jatarie and Joyner has gone 2-1. They will be looking to close out the regular season with two more wins beginning with this game. Thirteen players have seen action during conference games. At this time, that list has been shortened by one with Audrey-Ann out indefinitely with a wrist injury that required surgery. Rellah has started to see more game action since Audrey-Ann got hurt. Chasity has also started to see more minutes. Destiny has not played in any Big 12 games. Brooke continues to be the only player to be on the floor for more than 30 minutes (32.4 mpg). Four others average over 20 mpg and, though currently at 16.4 mpg, Joyner has average over 20 mpg in the last three games (all starts). The Horns use a solid eight player rotation with that expanding to ten the last two games. Two more are also available depending on matchups and game circumstances.

LINEUPS
    Projected starting lineups are based on the last game played.
    Screenshot (88).png

There is one change for each in their starting lineups from when they last played in Austin. Joyner has stepped into the starting lineup due to an injury to Audrey-Ann and ISU’s Camber has replaced Johnson.

In the first game, Texas was unable to stop Carleton or Durr although they did slow down Carleton. But the Horns put the clamps on all of the other Cyclones as those two were the only ones to reach double digits. In contrast, Texas had six players reach double digits, excluding Brooke who was in a shooting slump at the time.

Texas will face the same problem of stopping or slowing down Carleton and Durr while keeping the rest of the Cyclones from going off from BTA. Iowa State will face the problem of stopping the Texas rebounding and resultant fast breaks. ISU was unable to stop the Horns’ inside nor the penetration of the Texas guards as Texas went to the FT line 25 times, making 18.

I am not sure that the magic of Hilton can compensate for the mismatches that ISU will face Saturday. They have already lost six league games in Ames this season.

STATS COMPARISON
    Team stats are for Big 12 games only.
    Screenshot (90).png
    Screenshot (91).png
    Screenshot (92).png

On paper, this is a big mismatch in Texas’ favor. Looking at the first game between the two just seems to confirm this. But that game was in Austin, where Texas is a bit more comfortable than on the road. But the Horns are 6-2 on the road this season and should run that record to 7-2 after Saturday. That is assuming that they will not allow their close loss to Baylor on Monday to affect their play on Saturday.

Part of the Hilton Magic mystique is the crowd. ISU, even in a down year this season, is averaging just under ten thousand fans for league games and overall. They rank second nationally in attendance for the season and are first in the Big 12, both for the season and for conference play.

Game time is scheduled for 7 PM CST and the game will be televised on FSN. In the Austin area, the TV schedule for Spectrum shows the game on Fox Sports Plus 319. Radio will be 105.3 FM.

• Like Like x 2
  2. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

They may say they are averaging just under 10,000 per game but I'll assure you it isn't even half that much. I was up there Jan 17 and there maaaaaaay have been 3,000 there at best.

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

In Austin area, my ATT Uverse guide shows channel 753 (FSSW) and the HD channel 1753 (FSDAHD)

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

7:00?? Think it starts at 5:00...???

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Won't be the first mistake I have made.:smile1: That's why I depend on others to correct them. Thanks, game is at 5 PM as pointed out by BBV_Horn.

9. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

If you have Suddenlink, the game is on channel 39 and replays on channel 38 at 10;00

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It's hard to get used to us wearing black.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Early thoughts:
    * Wow, Brooke is the game's leading rebounder halfway through the 2nd quarter, with 6.
    * Both teams missing a fair amount of open shots.
    * ISU is really good at moving both themselves and the ball around.

12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

FSN showing the same 5 commercials over and over and over and over and over again....

• Like Like x 1
  13. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Well, this is getting a little uncomfortable going into the 4th quarter. Time to step up the energy level on both ends of the court!!

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That was the right call but it was clearly an accidental collision and not a dirty play, despite the ISU fan reaction.

15. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Way to finish, ladies!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scamp

Scamp 100+ Posts

I dislike black road unis, but they say that the players like them.

17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

tough road game but it was a good win.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Brooke with a double double, 13 pts and a career high 11 rebounds. :bow:

When was the last time that the team did not have a single block in a game? It looks strange seeing a zero in that column.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

That Brook to Ariel baseline drive & pass for the corner 3 was quite a pleasant nail in the coffin....

• Like Like x 3
  20. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Audrey-Ann. Missing you.

• Like Like x 7
  21. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

I am missing Audrey and her blocks.

• Like Like x 4
  22. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Good leadership and play out of Atkins and Brooke.
    But I need everyone else step their game up.
    Higgs look decent today.
    Where was the Post play today.

• Like Like x 1
  23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

This.

“The basket looks really big for Brooke McCarty right now.”

:bow:

• Like Like x 2
  24. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

It wasn't always pretty. But it was pretty da*m effective.

:ousucks:

• Like Like x 2
  25. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Higgs was more than decent today. Her two threes killed Iowa’s momentum. She was 2/3 from the three and really 3/4 had the refs not stolen one from her. Add to that 4 rebounds, 5 assists, one steal and a total of 14 points.

• Like Like x 7
  26. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I know it doesn't show up on the stat chart but Rellah has improved on defense. She still has a lot of work to do on the defensive end but she has shown improvement from the first of the season. During the off-season, Rellah needs to work on her conditioning as her stamina for staying in the game for extended minutes is limited.

Chaz is also looking more comfortable on the court. Although I think Sug will be our primary PG next year, I'm guessing that Chaz will ready to start along side Sug; much like Brooke played beside Celina.

All this to say that it's great to see the confidence and growth in Chaz and Rellah. On the other side of the coin, I'm glad that Aston is trusting them and giving them meaningful minutes in games. IMO, these two are going to be key players for us next year (as long as they continue to put in the work).

• Like Like x 3
  27. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I watched Rellah's defense carefully last night and didn't see any problems. She can't jump like Joyner, but it looked to me like Joyner made a couple of defensive blunders that gave them wide open shots under the basket. Rellah is quite a rebounder. A good sense of timing, I guess, since ishe doesn't have great hops. I'm sorry Chasity didn't get more minutes this year, because her 3 point shooting is going to be so important next year. We know she can shoot it. I don't think winning the McDonald's 3 point contest, best score of both girls and boys, was a fluke.

• Like Like x 3
  28. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

It was great to see Higgs sink the 3 pointers last night. I was disappointed when she didn't take the wide open 3 point shot in the fourth quarter. If we can have a lethal 3 point attack next year, along with what is going to be a very imposing front court, look out!

• Like Like x 3
  29. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Rellah's arms are elastic and she can seemingly extend them to secure rebounds. As JoeDallas mentioned, Joyner is springy. For her size, I'm surprised how quick and high Joyner can jump. She has very good body control.

When our incoming Freshmen class arrives, it will be fun to watch all of our bigs as they all have such different strengths and talents.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The thing about Rellah is:
    1) When she SEIZES a rebound, I get flashbacks to two ex-players: Nneka and Nekia Jones. Something in the determination of that grab reminds me of those two players.
    2) She shoots without fear. That's good and bad. There's no hesitation - that's good and bad.

• Like Like x 4