Texas v Maryland Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Tom Ramey

Tom Ramey < 25 Posts

My spirit is sick... I drank the Herman kool aid... I was wrong... life is all about perseverance ..this is very very painful

• Like Like x 1
  2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I forgot about the stupid new rule that a post-play unsportsmanlike penalty still wipes out the play. Should have gotten the 20 yards then moved back 15 from there.

His decision to bench multiple people who brought it on game-day in previous seasons was bizarre. I get that he doesn't want them to coast on last year (especially when last year was 5-7) but game performance is probably a better predictor of game performance than practice performance is. Or maybe he was just trying to make a point by not having 'Charlie's guys' get all the reps? Either way, we needed more Warren, Heard, and Foreman, and his refusal to change his stance on this as the game went on was just stubbornness.

• Like Like x 1
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yeah I remember when Mack made that point and benched Ricky in '98. Oh, wait...

If Herman is doing that, I really don't know what to say.

• Like Like x 1
  4. horninchicago

So I flipped on NBC looking for a golf tournament. ND game was on of course. Tirico talking about the halftime show coming up. "We'll hear about what happened to Texas today in their opener." A national embarrassment. That is what we are.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

How many players were drafted in the last two years, and how many will there be for this year? There were potential future draft prospects at receiver and "O" line today. Not sure of any on "D". If so who?

Texas is not going to out-talent very many good teams this year. Coaching decisions were questionable today, but the big question going forward is player position decisions, especially on "D". There needs to be some movement and some players may need to ride the pine, if there is better talent to backfill. For sure they need some angry, nasty leaders on "D". He is off and running on getting new talent and hopefull he can see past some sportswriter's star rating.

I agree that the team should have shown better today and Maryland seemed to want it more. This type of performance has to change but we might need to accept a reasonable but slow recovery to good Texas football. Expectations have gotten a little out of hand.

• Like Like x 2
  6. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Hope that means Tom is calling the plays

7. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps we misjudged the damage Strong did to this team. It could take more than an offseason to fix it. That's what I'm hoping.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Good. It means that he knows, accepts and understands the STANDARDS and EXPECTATIONS when one is the Head Effing Coach for the Texas Longhorn football program.

Even at the end, Charlie never seemed to grasp the notion of tradition OR pride.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Speaking of Charlie...watching them struggle with a slack FCS school almost makes today's Texas debacle palatable.

USF went into the half down 10-7 and has managed to pull ahead 24-17 with inside of 2:30 to go in the game.

I guess the Seawolves have a fully baked cake and came to play.

10. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

But Charlie won.
    42-22.
    Today I would take that.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  11. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

That's just about as much of a moral Victory as Was Connor Mcgregor lasting 10 rounds with Floyd but guess what he and we lost

• Like Like x 1
  12. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I guess we could have played a scrub team like 95% of other P5 schools did.

Maryland is no jaggernaut but certainly not scrubs.

We regroup and win 8-9 games this year. :hookem:

13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I think I've spit up all the kool-aid.
    I'm taking it one game at a time.

• Like Like x 2
  14. horninchicago

I think I have been one of the positive people on here, but I just don't see it now. I hope they prove me wrong.

15. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

We had some good talent taking visits today also ouch

16. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

Please name 5 teams we can beat this year

17. horninchicago

Do they have to be teams on our schedule? If not, I may still have a hard time doing that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

That must have been a wild two and a half minutes this afternoon then...that would mean it went 18-5 after my post. The Stoney Brook game was today. And Strong was losing to an FCS team at the half...you know, a school that actually looks up to the likes of Appalachian State.

19. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Actually not kicking the FG and the extra point were just as dumb. Take those 4 easy points and we're ahead late in the 3rd quarter. You don't give away points in the 3rd. You do that in the 4th. Just a dumb *** move by an immature coach that has no idea what he's doing. He panicked today plain and simple. If he stays composed, maybe the team does too.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

You are confusing the San Jose State game from last week. Today USF at home was tied 17-17 with the Stony Brook Seawolves in the 4th quarter. USF did win 31-17. Based on what I have seen, this UT team could probably beat a more talented USF team right now.

I do not say this to defend Herman as his coaching was not good today by any means, but the USF game made me realize that charlie left us in a deep deep hole. Everyone thought we needed a massive rebuild when Mack was fired. Truth is we did not. Now, after a lot of subpar recruiting and coaching by a coach now struggling with Stony Brook, we need a massive rebuild. The problem is, I did see any progress from Herman and I do not know if he is the coach to do it. I do think after today that Applewhite was a big part of his offensive success at U of H.

21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Point being Strong won.
    I will take an ugly win over an ugly loss any day.
    I really don't understand what it matters what Charlie did.
    Tom Herman is our coach now.
    What did he do?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I answered that. Nothing. I have never been a Herman guy. I have been a "I do not know what he is going to do, wait and see" guy on Herman. So far I have seen no progress in getting us out of Charlie's hole.

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We can presumably beat Baylor given that they are tied with the Liberty Falwells at halftime....

• Like Like x 1
  24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

After today's results are in, we are the sole owners of last place in the B12, since we're the only team that lost. Well that depends on the Baylor - Liberty outcome.

25. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

How many games do we play before we climb out of that hole?

26. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^This. Exactly.

27. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I don't think any team in the B 12 gives up 51 to Maryland. I was predicting 8-9 wins before this loss. After this loss, the way we lost, 8 wins with a bowl win would be a fantastic comeback.
    I hope it happens. I'm not betting on it.

• Like Like x 1
  28. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Our team was poorly coached today. They were out schemed, especially our defense. Maryland has a good running back, an average Big 10 O line. We stuff the run and force them to pass. That could not be accomplished today. Tony (he hasn't earned the right not to be called Tony) Orlando did not prepare this defense.

29. StructureDude

StructureDude 100+ Posts

The defense was schemed on the assumption that their QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Unfortunately it turned in to pitch & catch since he could throw and texas could not get pressure or cover. This defense looked the exact same as last year TBH. Inconsistent, out of position and missed tackles. I don't see a quick fix and I doubt we can count on 21 non offensive points each week. Could be a very long season but I'm starting to get used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

We have SJSU next then it off to LA to play USC. That game will tell us a lot about how we finish, but right now it looks like 6-6 maybe 7-5 with some luck but another 5-7 is probable.

I do wonder how much the young guys on the team from Houston area were distracted by the fate of their families due to the hurricane and flooding. Some may have no home to go to and their families are are in shelters perhaps losing everything. Not an excuse, but these are distractions and being young, the young haven't learned how to remove them from their focus and to concentrate on the job they came to do. Hopefully their fears will be allayed and they can concentrate on football and school. Just something to think about.

• Like Like x 3