Texas v. Rice

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts

Tapper back to Chance who throws it to 1st for the FINAL OUT!!! HORNS WIN!!! HORNS WIN THE AUSTIN REGIONAL AND NOW ON TO THE SUPER REGIONAL NEXT WEEK!!!

Way to go HORNS!

2. StoOgE

StoOgE 100+ Posts

Hook Em!

And I've got tickets to the Super Regional.

3. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Weekend couldn't have gone any better!

4. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Jeremy Rathjen.

Ball inside, 1-0.
    Fouled back, 1-1.
    Frozen for strike, 1-2. This could be it.
    Ball outside, 2-2.
    Swing at a ball well outside, taps it back to the mound. Ruffin fields and calmly throws to first for the THIRD AND FINAL OUT!!!!

That's ballgame, folks. Texas wins the Austin Regional and advances to the Super round courtesy of 4 runs to Rice's 1.

5. addicted to Horn

addicted to Horn 1,000+ Posts

Way to go Hrons. Regional Chaps. [​IMG]

6. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

7. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

8. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

9. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

Hell yeah, way to go Horns.

Nice job by the team taking care of business.

Great series coming up against TCU...

Hook 'em Horns

10. launceston

launceston 250+ Posts

Ruffin is the f'in terminator. What a great pitching performance all around by our Horns tonight. Bring on whoever! [​IMG]

11. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

It's not simply a matter of pitch count, gents. Taylor was clearly struggling--he was falling behind hitters, missing his spots, and his body language on the mound was clearly tentative.

Whatever mojo he had working for the first seven innings wasn't there for the eighth. I was absolutely in favor of leaving him out there and seeing if he could go the distance; he couldn't. Fortunately, we've got a closer the quality of Chance Ruffin.

12. Bigtex112

Bigtex112 500+ Posts

What are the dates for the Supers?

13. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Way to go Horns! Now bring on the Froggies!

14. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

16. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

The pitching staff definitely gets group MVP for the tournament. All three starters pitched 7 plus innings and only 4 pitchers were used the entire weekend to pick up 3 wins in which only 3 runs were surrendered.

We will need the bats to come alive next weekend as we cant keep playing with fire with these low scoring games.

Meanwhile FWHORN has to be in Jamaica next weekend dodging bullets so up to you guys to take us on to Omaha. [​IMG]

17. scharnell

scharnell 1,000+ Posts

One more hurdle from Omaha...let's take the froggies out in 2-straight and get our bats heated up for Rosenblatt.

18. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts

damnit the internet radio feed cut off to go to the press conference and Craig starts saying, "An editorial comment" in regards to the all-tourney team. Did anyone catch what he said by chance?

19. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

20. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

21. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts

Was thinking he might have added some thoughts on how Rendon got MVP of the tourney. Not sure I agree with that. [​IMG]

22. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

FWHorn skipping the TCU Supet [​IMG]

23. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

24. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Agree with the above posts singling out this pitching staff. How could it be any other way?--three earned runs allowed through 27 innings of postseason play for an average ERA of 1.00.

Simply superb.

Despite some slow starts, our bats weren't all that bad, either--19 earned runs through 26 innings translates to an offensive ERA of 6.58.

We'll absolutely need to be better against TCU, however. You can bet your bottom dollar that the Horned Frogs will come to Austin with a chip on their shoulder.

25. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

froggies will be ready. I wonder just how good that kid is that turned down the Rangers? forgot who he turned down, wasn't he drafted in the 2nd round, maybe 1st round?

26. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Also, hats off to the Rice Owls and head coach Wayne Graham.

I realize we've got quite the little rivalry them and he's not the most popular guy here on Hornfans, but they are a class act and their post-game comments were very complimentary. In my opinion, Coach Graham is not only great for Rice University, he's also great for the sport and the state of Texas.

[​IMG], Owls!

27. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

cochamps, will try and find internet at the hotel but am not holding out much hope. Hoping it is on ESPN as I know the hotel gets that so I will be watching just not able to post.

28. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

29. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the updates! Way to go Horns!

Enjoy this for a day, and then focus towards the Froggies. [​IMG]

30. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Thanks Gem. I am not bringing my laptop as the last time I was there we got our room broken into and all electronic equipment lifted. The hotel has a business center so if they have access and if you find a link absolutely post it. Between you, Horn in LA, Chest and several others I have no doubt the updates will get done.

The good thing is the trip this year is next week and not the first week of Omaha which it was last year and I missed the Southern Miss game. I will be back Monday so if it is a Sat-Mon super and it goes to three will see you Monday night.

Beat the Froggies [​IMG]