Texas v Stanford

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by WCBBNUT, Dec 22, 2019.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Dec 22, 2019.
  1. Texas

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Stanford

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Interesting to read this post immediately after reading about the ESPNW player of the week. Jones is a freshman, right? How 'whelmed were we by Charli last year?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

She's been up and down but was a major factor in several of Stanford's more significant wins. She had 19 points vs. Syracuse, 13 and 8 rebs vs. Mississippi State, and 15 and 7 vs. Ohio State. My guess is that Tara yanked her in this game because she was she was getting beat on the boards. But make no mistake; she's a good one and her ceiling is high.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

You can tell they feed off the energy she gives. Earlier in the season she was not energized and the teams play reflected that but when she is up and moving and yelling and giving great energy that's when they play well. Sometimes your team needs that confirmation that they are playing well and they need that energy from the coach to gain or continue the momentum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I will forever like Tara because, as I recall, when Stanford wouldn't let Jamie Carey play anymore due to her concussion history, she played a role in getting Jamie hooked up with us. I don't remember the details.

• Like Like x 5
  5. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Happy that all the Aston naysayers are delighted to be eating Crow this Holiday season and enjoying it!! If you think about it, it has been only in the last couple of weeks that her core (minus Audrey) have been healthy enough to actually all practice at the same time and with the same intensity...Sug, Joyner and Lashann especially only back at (near) 100% like 2 weeks ago...will we have some poor performances? Probably, but you can’t deny that the team is gelling as their health and trust in their bodies improves...so, it was nice to see the kind words for Karen..she works HARD!!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

I tell ya, this young season has seen Texas go from the lowest of lows (the home blowout to Arizona, the road loss to Hawai'i) to the highest of highs (doesn't get much higher than beating the #1 team).

The big question, of course, is the trajectory from here. Does the connected performance in the Stanford game carry over into the early Big 12 contests? We shall see. The opening stretch against TCU, Iowa State and West Virginia will be a very good test.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Take a look at that final play and notice that yes Joyner got the basket but Charlie tipped the inbound pass that made it all possible. You. Go. Charlie!

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Tara is a class act. Love her.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I'll give credit where it's due. KA coached an incredible game. I want to see all coaches be successful at Texas.
    We'll see...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

The 3rd Qtr was more in line with the "normal" Texas performance. The biggest question in my mind is will they work really hard to eliminate the sloppy lazy telegraphed passes or slip back down into that being routine. Which one of those will determine just what kind of team they will be, but that 3rd Qtr performance for 4 Qtrs would likely result in a loss to the top half of the B12.

Time to step it up ladies and play like Q1 for all 4 Qtrs and every game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Watch after the tip. As Joyner is going down the court, Charli is SKIPPING down the court in joy.

• Like Like x 4
  13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Joy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That third quarter performance most likely could be beaten by every team in the Big 12. My question is the same as yours... will we learn to minimize those moments?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Did y’all realize that two of those four teams we lost to are now ranked #9 (NCST) and #18 AZ? Takes the sting out just a bit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

NC State I'd say is for sure a top 15 team, not sure about top 10. I do believe Arizona is a legit top 25 team, although the only reason they went from unranked to ranked is because they crushed a then-ranked Texas team. They have played no one with a pulse since then.

The only bad loss has been to Hawai'i. In this early part of the season, I'm way less concerned with wins and losses than I am about how the team's playing, what the chemistry is like, and whether they're improving. Up until the Tennessee game, let's face it, everything was disastrous on this front, but looking better since then. I was reserved in my enthusiasm over the Tennessee win because I don't think the Vols should be ranked either, but the win over Stanford was truly remarkable, I'd say the program's best win since beating Baylor in 2017.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  17. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Yes, incredible game. But it's overdue in taking things up a notch, like conference championships, and winning games we're supposed to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Whatever happened to BabHorn? Last post March?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I was wondering about Babhorn too. Hope he/she is ok. Also I miss LutherIsMyDog. We usually agree on things.

20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I was wondering the same thing about Babhorn. We didn't always agree but I appreciated them as a fan and for their contributions to our message board discussions. I did a member search and could no longer find them on this site.

21. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

For the record, i could care less about babhorn and am pleased he's found a life outside this message board. thought he was superior when in fact he wasn't. i hope he found his signature goestenkors collection from some grannie's attic though. :yippee:
    he'll probably show up again since we're talking about him. :puke:

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • poop poop x 4
  22. Scamp

Scamp 100+ Posts

"Texas Longhorns guard Sophie Taylor (5) joins her teammates as they throw water on head coach Karen Aston while they celebrate in the locker room after beating Stanford, 69-64, during an NCAA women's basketball game at the Frank Erwin Center. I was in the corner knowing at any minute that I was about to get kicked out of the locker room before I shot this image, and shooting this image was such fun! I had the chance to see the reward behind the hard work for reaching a goal. If you don't know Aston, you would say she is all business and no fun. Seeing this image, however, gives you a quick glimpse into the relationship that a coach has with her players. The team plotted to dunk Aston with water as she entered the locker room, but the coach had another plan in mind. Aston countered the team’s plot, which a good coach should do, and entered through another door, catching her players off guard and splashing them. [RICARDO B. BRAZZIELL/AMERICAN-STATESMAN]
    http://1rntu844lwdp3cxp81l9i121-wpe...s/251/2019/12/I9pdcCKFHf4jIbr8NMYblB-gvSM.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  23. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I thought you'd found a life outside this message board. I was relieved, and yet here you are again. Ignore button will be used.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

If you had ever met Jose you would know he was just the opposite of what you describe. I remember him posting that he was moving to Lockhart or Bastrop for family or health reasons and would no longer be able to attend basketball games. He was a loyal Longhorn fan and provided fair and balanced views on games, coaches, and players. I wish him health and happiness wherever he is.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 7
  25. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

What an incredibly insensitive and immature thing to post. Wow. Before every game we got a thoughtful, detailed, well-researched synopsis of the match up. No one on this board contributed more than BabHorn who asked for nothing in return. He was/is a fantastic fan of the program.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  26. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Babhorn is alive and well and mostly posts on Twitter...I enjoyed his posts here about upcoming games, and wish he were still doing it...not sure why he isn’t?? He is a nice person, and an even better fan...so, bashing him is really unwarranted..he spent hours, days, weeks, etc. on providing information for fans who wanted to read it..none of us were forced to read them, so, try being nice, people, “do unto others, etc.”..

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 5
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  28. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Great video! Thanks for posting. The highlights brought back to me how well they played, and I enjoy seeing Coach Aston's interactions with her team. And, another angle to watch Charli's "victory skip" at the end of the game. :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  29. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Glad to hear that Babhorn is ok. To me, he was like our best fan --- on it since I began and worked hard on those pregame analyses. Always a good sport and never got involved in anything petty. Miss him.

• Like Like x 5
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, definitely glad Babhorn is doing well. As I said previously, we didn't always agree (nor did we always disagree) and I appreciated his input.

• Like Like x 1