Texas v TCU Game 1

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by WCBBNUT, Jan 2, 2020.

1. HornByProxy

HornByProxy < 25 Posts

Every press conference after a loss is the same BS “lack of competitiveness, didn’t shoot the ball well, needed to do an extra pass, idk what’s up with the 3rd quarter”. This season is a real bummer.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I'm ready to write off this season and hope that CDC sees there needs to be a change. I hate to see anyone lose there job but it's just the same old stuff and it will NEVER get any better. He clearly saw what was going on in Softball and made a quick change, paid the money to get an outstanding Coach and that program is on the rise. Time to move on!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Wow look what Iowa State did to an undefeated Texas Tech team yesterday at Tech!! Iowa State hit 16 3's. Probably going to be embrassing.
    Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 10.29.21 AM.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  4. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Agree with many of the comments already made. I am torturing myself this morning by re-watching the game, something I rarely do after a loss. I am checking my perception at the game that Aston's player rotations were a major reason for the loss.

In my mind, this game was a must win. With the nonconference record, particularly the loss to Hawaii, the team has to have a very strong conference season to make the tournament. The team could start 0-3 with games coming up at Iowa State and West Virginia.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

The first 5 minutes of the second half, now the third quarter, is when good teams take over the game. I remember watching those "upset brewing" type games with Pat and Geno coached teams until the second half began. Then Tenn and UConn took over, ran off 10 points and grabbed every rebound, and the game was decided. I have no idea why Texas is so mercurial; just sick of seeing it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

Yes. I regularly go to TCU games and have watched Lauren Heard develop. Her leadership, court awareness and fundamental skills have improved dramatically each year, obviously to me, an ordinary fan. It's wonderful to see a player progress as she has - that's why we love sports, to see people excel and have fun. She is former UT quarterback Jerrod Heard's sister, you may know. He occasionally attends games with their parents.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

Agree - not sure who we can beat when we play like that. IMHO, Reagan Pebley is a good coach and TCU will always be competitive. They lost at A&M by 2 points before Christmas - they were not intimidated there, either. TCU beat us once in 2018, with Brooke and Ariel, you'll recall. At the end of the game ... we had Sug circling to her right and falling down ... that's the same play we/she ran against Indiana last year to end the season. It was deja vu all over again, as I watched that play ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

It was ominous when we missed all those bunnies in the first quarter. And it didn’t get better. The jacked up threes in the second were maddening. I cut the TV to watch the NBA in middle of third quarter.......better for my health. TCU is better than most are giving them credit for. We are what we have been and are. The Stanford win was fool’s gold. I still think the Horns will finish with about even or above in conference. Sad.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

3&4 are the biggest issues that I have with Coach Aston. Turnovers and the inability to consistently make perimeter jump shots have been an issue since her first year as coach which tells you everything you need to know. Texas has to bring in a coach that can develop and coach them up because next year will probably be even worse with the talent drop off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  10. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

CDC needs to send Karen packing and Shaka right behind her and go get some quality coaches....Get Oregon's coach for the women, and just about anyone with a power 5 pulse for the men.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

I'm sorry, but with Holmes and Collier, we should be able to
    Anybody think Jamie Carey might be a good replacement? Seems to have the fire.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  12. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

not me my issues with KA is her incompetence and knack for doing less with more.

Texas needs a new coach. 8 years of misery is enough. KM will crush our team this season mark my words!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  13. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

we’ll be 0-2. A win in Ames is no freebie. Their sullen faces in the post game media talk says it all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  14. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Loved her as a player, but that would be a BIG NO to Jamie Carey. We need someone who has SHOWN they can actually coach!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Because Texas’ guards can’t shoot the ball consistently the opposing teams defenders can focus all their attention on Charli and Joyner without having to worry about leaving their man wide open for a three.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Too bad KA ran off two HS All-Americans who were prolific from the outside. I guess their defense wasn't good enough for her...God forbid KA come up with an effective defensive scheme that allowed our weaker defenders to be on the floor and contribute the much needed offensive arsenal.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  17. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Oh darn. This means Charlie Creme :rolleyes1: will put a red arrow next to our name if we are still in the brackets at all. :smh:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

I like Jamie as well. In fact she should bail this sinking ship and get more experience under another coach. And then she should come back to Texas when the head coaching job opens up.

Staying with KA is a career limiting move.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

No, she shouldn’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Jamie would do well, IMHO...has a very good offensive mind...and the experience!!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I would think that Jamie has a very good offensive mind too. But why don't we see it? Why are we, in many situations, still clueless in our half court offense? Is it that KA doesn't listen to her?

• Agree Agree x 5
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I would love to see what Jamie could do as head coach. The big unknown is how much she agrees and disagrees with the choices Karen makes. IMO, none of the top successful coaches right now would want to come here, unless the salary was absurd. We have a had a history of underachievement for a long time, going back to Gail. Who would want the task of turning that around. The same is true for the men's team. Amazing players on the men's side, but only one final four in history. Shaka has not righted the ship.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I am in my negative mode after the TCU game. Like others on the board, I'm just going to assume a loss against ISU. If they can beat Tech by 30 points...they have had our number many times, especially in Ames. I think Fennelly is a great coach. I was hoping we would go after him after Gail. Unless they are off their usual good shooting or we somehow come up with a good shooting game and not too many nutty turnovers, it's hard to see how we could win. I think part of the problem is that our team probably is big-time down on themselves right now, which mostly guarantees missed shots. Now after all this, I hope I am proven wrong.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Iowa State leads the series with UT at 20-18.
    Iowa State is 10-6 at home versus UT.
    Iowa State won the last 2 versus Texas.
    Iowa State is hosting their first conference game of the season.
    Bill Fennelly’s teams are well coached
    Iowa State will deploy a zone defense and our team is unable to penetrate the zone, continually passing the ball until time runs out.
    Texas loses to an unranked TCU at home
    You can definitely say Texas has its work cut out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  25. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

I think it's worse than that. I don't think we'll win again until January 19th. Hope, I'm wrong....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  26. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

Halftime in Ames ... mystified by this team. Completely. Mystified.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

Not a fan of former players returning as head coach - too much baggage, too many expectations that make it difficult for the coach to succeed. Just my 2 cents. We have moved way past "returning" to Texas glory days. We are now a program with resources (money, new arena) that has to fight for top players who weren't born (nor were many of their parents) when we regularly won conference titles. But when you think about it, that's true of everyone, thanks to Title IX. When Tara and Geno retire, the long-time, legendary coaches will be gone. (Am I overlooking someone?) Good players can go anywhere and many, many teams can be a top program, at least for a few years. OK, back to the game ... :hookem::bevo:

• Agree Agree x 3