Texas v UCLA series

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Mar 10, 2017.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

2. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Maybe "litmus test - part 2" --- kind of a Rice quality team, in Austin, 3 game series, probable 2-1 series for either Texas or UCLA.

Not likely sweep by either, seem equally matched. If Horns go 2-1 great, if 1-2 not end of world, if swept --- shouldn't happen with all the good arms in Austin.

If Horns can sweep UCLA --- outstanding, but not expecting that either. It's baseball. Pitching rotations almost guarantee good balanced opposing teams will get at least 1 game out of 3.

So far Horns looking good. Somewhat excited about ONE of the major programs on the 40 acres getting back to quality play.

Hook 'em

• Like Like x 1
  3. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Wind blowing out to left !!!!

4. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

UCLA 1st:
    Fly out to RF
    Fly out to RF
    4 pitch Walk....I think it was intentional...but maybe not
    K
    Kingham with 19 pitches, 9 to the last batter....
    0-0

5. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

ERA 0.0; 21 innings pitched for UCLA pitcher !!!!
    Bunt by Shaw ; beats it out base hit !!
    Shaw thrown out stealing .....SMDH.....He was safe, but we get screwed again at home...
    Hamilton : Walked
    Ump's bad call is looking huge now....
    Clemens with a 3-1 count...Walks !!!
    Bad call by Ump is HUGE NOW ....
    Todd up: Ground out.....2 down , runners at 2nd and 3rd
    Should be 1 out with a run home if not for blind Ump at 2nd base...
    Boswell up : K ...and we get NOTHING...

6. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

HR for UCLA ...
    1-0 .....Ball game.

7. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Bottom of 2
    We have seen this script before
    3 up 3 down

8. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

Great comeback win. Loved seeing Kyle Johnston come in from the bullpen and nail it down.

9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Texas takes opener 5-4 as this time it's the Horns with late inning comeback.:bevo:

10. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Did a good job taking advantgae of pitcher.

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

:rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 1
  12. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

Kyle Johnston looked great as closer.
    Chase Shugart is not getting the job done at closer and Johnston has the high velocity to be a great closer.

13. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Great win! One of you guys (not car) needs to start writing synopsis of the games, because Dustin at Orangebloods is borderline unreadable. Sorry, I gotta vent, but as an ex-sportswriter and someone who has both spoken and written in English for several years, I can't imagine writing the following sentence and expecting people to pay me for it:

"With the game tied, the UCLA bullpen, while a raucous Texas crowd fired verbal bullets its way, then walked three-straight batters to give Texas a 5-4 lead."

Anybody want to take a shot at diagramming that sentence?

My favorites were in basketball season when he would write something like this:

"Yes," Shaka Smart said when I asked if the late-game performance by his bench seemed to help spur a comeback and kept the team in the game down the stretch.

Sorry... had to vent. Nothing to see here, move along everybody...

• Like Like x 1
  14. ProdigalHorn

Hey, I don't know what you want from the guy. He didn't decide it was going to be a long season up until a day after he'd just said he was going to give the team time to work out the kinks. You can only be so patient. The fact that he made it through the lineup card exchange before throwing in the towel shows some improvement.

• Like Like x 3
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Loves him some drama :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  16. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

All I know right now is this: Longhorns baseball is fun to watch again. Reminds me of the good old days (for me, GusBall, and an expected minimal regional appearance every year, if not the CWS).

UCLA is a good team, and the Horns not only fought, but showed some real smart baseball to take the first game against noted the No. 7 ranked pitcher in the U.S. (e.g., late inning, center field pop up, looks like a routine out, Horns runner rounds first and puts on the gas to get to second --- should have been an out, turned into a E and a stolen base and our runner at 2nd base. Little things like that.).

The bats woke up when they needed to, down 2 runs late, to come back just enough to win.

Oh, and I'm enjoying the HELL out of the commentary of Moreland and Swindell. They give just enough of professional level experience notes on the insides of the game of baseball, but then chuckle off a bunch of other self-promoting stuff --- particularly fun when Galindo is with them playing the bumpkin. For me, it works great. They also treat the other teams with respect and have good, friendly interviews during the game with opposing head coaches who seem to enjoy the short spots with them.

The total production package of UT baseball on LHN comes off as good as a major league TV production with UFCUDFF as an eyecatching backdrop. Hope Texas high school players get a chance to watch the Horns on LHN, as compared to not even getting to see the myriad of other recruiting possible schools for them to consider. LHN should be most helpful to UT baseball as compared to football and basketball (both all over every other network for just about any school).

Various topics in my post here, but, HEY!, I'm getting jazzed about maybe UT Baseball returning to a rite (right?) of spring for Longhorn fans everywhere!

Hook 'em, and
    On to Omaha!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  17. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Horns take game two 5-2 and will look for sweep tomorrow.:hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  18. LonghornCatholic

19. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Hey the guy had an ERA of 0.00...With a 1 run lead it looked to be done....LOL

20. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Yesterday being my first game of the year I was very impressed. Even in sh*tty conditions they were nearly mistake free. There were a few wild pitches understandably as the ball was wet all day. Seemed like even the fly outs were hit hard.

This is a different team from last year even if the rosters are very similar.

21. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Baserunning error that cost us at least 2 runs is looming large now with UCLA scoring and threatening to take the lead.

22. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

SMH...These guys have personalized gloves ......

23. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Vol Horn ......jinxed us....error right off the bat on the bases, and then we get bases loaded no outs and only get 1 run, just like last year. Then we turn into the bad news bears in the 4th.

24. ProdigalHorn

9-4 after 6. Do we have a team again???

25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Too early to tell, but I sure like what I'm seeing. Either the UCLA pitching staff was severely overrated or we finally have some bats.

26. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Horns win game three 10-5 and get huge sweep. Up next a mid week game with aggy.:hookem:

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I am thinking the whole team was overrated.
    upload_2017-3-12_17-43-50.png
    upload_2017-3-12_17-44-48.png

28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  29. LonghornCatholic

We sweepted them! :hookem:

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Just beat the aggies. That will achieve 50% of my goals for the season. The other 50% is to make the NCAA tournament.

• Like Like x 1