Texas v West Virginia April 26-28

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Apr 26, 2019.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Horns season has driven into the ditch, any chance of saving it would mean winning at least two of three from a top 20 ranked Mountaineer team and really they almost have to sweep to resurrect their tournament hopes.

Preview from Texassports:

Baseball Preview: No. 17 West Virginia - University of Texas Athletics

PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
    FRIDAYTexas So. RHP Bryce Elder (2-3, 3.05) vs. West Virginia Jr. RHP Alek Manoah(6-2, 1.81)
    SATURDAYTexas Jr. RHP Blair Henley (6-2, 3.81) vs. West Virginia So. LHP Jackson Wolf (2-2, 3.61)
    SUNDAYTexas TBA vs. West Virginia Jr. RHP Kade Strowd (4-4, 4.13)

2. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Bought 4 tix last month for Sunday's game; coming up from SA with at least one guest who is a WVU alum, a business colleague; good guy, moved to SA about 10 years ago after exiting active army service.

He took his wife to the 2016 UT v WVU football game, he commented later: "We had a great time, we were wearing full WVU colors and stuff, and many times we were greeted by Longhorn fans walking past, with 'Hook 'em, and good luck to WVU today', of course WVU won, and he was even more surprised that Texas fans were just as gracious after the game. I said something like: "Well, what are opposing fans supposed to do, beat you up because you're there to see a football game and support your team?" But kudos to the Longhorn Nation for acting with good humor to them!

I don't think he is much aware of Texas' Longhorn baseball legendary status. I'll try to hold back from boring him too much, maybe "The College World Series is essentially the "Elite 8" round of college baseball. Texas won the 3rd and 4th CWS championship in 1949 and 1950, and 4 more, 1975, 1983, 2002, and 2005. Last year, 2018, was the 72nd year of the CWS, Texas was back in it ..... for the 36th time, playing in the CWS on average every other year, appearing in every decade, over a period of 72 years" and leave at that. And then WVU will probably go on and win Sunday. Nooooooo. Just kidding, but with the last 2 weeks, who knows?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

that away Reynokds

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  4. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Just left UFCU DFF....we found another way to lose yet AGAIN!!! WVU 3 UT 2. All 3 WVU runs off of late HR’s. Elder had a no-no til 2 outs in 7th inning. Then the HR’s followed. We really suck!!

5. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Yeah man

6. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

This team has no guts, no bats and no ability to hold on to a lead. I don't see how this team even makes the Big XII tourney much less a regional. The ride was fun while it lasted.

7. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

******* awesome game with a terrible result. Elder outpitched the best pitcher in the league and lost...

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Pitching gives up 3 runs on 3 hits, and gets 9 (???) hits o support but only 2 runs.

9. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

10. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Deja vu all over again....another blown 9th inning lead....final WVU 9 UT 8!

11. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

when does football start again??

12. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Not soon enough! This was a UT suckathon weekend.....baseball chokes twice and only 2 players make the NFL draft cut. Surely 2019-2020 UT men’s big 3 sports can only go up, right?!?

13. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Just wish LJH would have listened to those in the know....

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Re -football, a lot of those drafted are chumps. But Herman has done wonders

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Sorry guys it's my fault. Texas had an 8-6 lead when I finally tuned in to the game. Not tomorrow as I'm at work the entire game. Good luck!

17. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

How did this team win 2 of 3 vs tceh and bailer (yes, yes, I know that game 3 wasn't official)?
    --plus swept Lswho....:brickwall:

18. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I don't know what to think/say anymore. This team is in total meltdown. I never saw so many blunders in little league. 6 fing unearned runs, walks, wild pitches, passed balls, errors on simple throws, base running blunders, can't make a tag, can't get bunts down, and as Zeke pointed out failure to cover the bag which would have resulted in an easy out.

Just unbelievable!

19. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

We’re officially in last place now. If this stands, we miss the B12 tourney & season is over!

20. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Do I dare tune in? We’re up 6-2

21. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Waiting on the grim reaper!!

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

10-2 final

10 runs on 13 hits, committed 3 errors and stranded 12

23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Finally, something positive happened for those guys.

24. Vol Horn 4 Life

Nice 10-2 win today!! And they didn't even try to give it away at the end as WVU didn't score after the 4th inning. And we're not in last place at the moment.

25. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

I’m thrilled for the Ford kid!!

26. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Whoa, dude, I think that is a bit too far. You have already forgotten all the come-from-behind wins just a few weeks ago? I totally agree they are not playing well but "no guts" I think is over the top. I will assume you are just frustrated as are we all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Could have easily been a sweep this weekend to get back in it if the dang bullpen could hold a lead. I noticed yesterday that Coach Pierce went back to Bocchi for 7-8-9 even tho he pitched Friday night. I think he is finding less and less bullpen arms he can trust as every series goes by.

29. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

The difference between first and last in this conference is razor thin. That can’t be ignored. It is still really wide open for this team. They just need to win 4 of 6 in the last 2 series. Get in as a 3 seed and rise to the occasion.