Texas v Xavier March 29-31

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Mar 29, 2019.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

2. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

good lord this team has tanked.

3. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Entertaining game. Xavier actually has some talent out in the field. Bottom of the 12th, bases are drunk , down by one. I'd like to watch the NCAA hoops games on now, but this game has me hooked.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

WOW
    Thought we lost this one

5. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

We scrappy.

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Horns get benefit of an absolutely awful missed strike three call on first batter in the bottom of the 12th, same thing happened in second and both times Texas then scored multiple runs. The home plate ump was terrible all night and he was bad to both teams but wow did he blow a couple of calls in favor of Texas that turned out to be huge. All that said, Texas kept fighting and you have to like that about this team. A lot not to like about tonight even with win, Kam Fields wildness is really disturbing and when he threw that second wild pitch in the 10th to give Xavier the lead I about threw something out a window. Texas went from the 2nd to the tenth inning without a hit and at times the Horn batters looked lost. Hopefully that rally in the 12th gets things turned around and Texas uses it to get back to where they are capable of being.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Idiot. The team still had some fight left.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Phil Elliott

We scrappy.

10. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

11. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

This win will launch us into the CWS. Any team that can figure out how to dig deep, and get results on a noodle bat night, will have the confidence to roll come playoff time.

12. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Will someone that can go to the games take a bat and put it over the head of the moronic fan that sits right behind the plate on the 1st row? His constant yelling does nothing but distract our batters. If you're going to do that do it to the other team, not your own. He is the anti-fan.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

ZOO BEE UHH!!!

Yeah, he seems like he kind of sucks.

14. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, I like this team.

No excuse making, but with Clemens going on from his brilliant year last year, it was Hamilton's turn; then the electric scooter thing, and Petrinski is also lost for the season.

No biggee, the rest just tighten their belts and literally step up to the plate.

Watching them last night, I just didn't get a real bad vibe after needing to tie in the 9th to go extras, or beyond that. Just thinking they'd get it done somehow, walk, HBP, steal, bunt, balk due to steal threat, seeing-eye base hit.

I'd say, maybe the obvious, at a minimum this is a conference contender, almost assuredly a regional player if not a host and/or seed, ... beyond that, who knows?

A return to Omaha would be nice, but this pitching staff is still working on things and the Big 12 is tough, though the games against Tceh and TCU are in the rear view mirror.

15. Sangre Naranjada

We have to shore up our defense. Hopefully more game experience will serve that purpose.

16. Phil Elliott

Lately the bullpen has been a bigger concern to me than the defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Sangre Naranjada

A fair observation and another legitimate area of concern.

18. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

IN another tight one today. Up by one in the fifth, being aggressive on the base paths creating some runs. Texas Rangers 1974 revisited

19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Bullpen issues continue tonight as the Horns almost blow a 6-2 lead in the ninth but get a double play and ground out on the last two batters and strand the tying run at third to hold on 6-5. If I have one issue with Pierce it is that he lets pitchers come back for extra inning when he shouldn’t and that happened again tonight with Whelan in the ninth. Horns won though and I will take it, they are indeed scrappy.:hookem:

20. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

I don't really disagree, but with so many arms I think Pierce is trying to figure out where those thresholds are. It is still early in the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree. The issue now is lack of consistency which he would like to have at this point in the season. Most of the staff has shown flashes of ability, but none have shown a consistent level which leaves the coach not really knowing what he is going to get game after game.

23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

24. Phil Elliott

Bullpen just cannot protect a lead.

25. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

O M F G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Walk off double. Horns win, horns win, Horns win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Phil Elliott

Damn this team is eat up with scrappy. After falling behind 5-4 in the 9th, Horns plate 2 in the bottom of the 9th to sweep the series 6-5. All done with 2 outs no less. Wow.

28. Phil Elliott

After the first 2 batters went quietly, I had already written the obit and had to start all over. Tate Shaw with the 2 out walkoff double.

29. Phil Elliott

All 3 games were come from behind and all 3 the final score was 6-5. We scrappy.

30. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Xavier just wants the hell out of Austin, they easily could have won all three games and instead end up on losing end of three 6-5 games. The bullpen issues continue as the Horns blow another late game lead and that is becoming a real concern but they just wont say die. Two outs nobody on and they come up with a single, a walk and then a walk off double. Wow, just wow.:hookem: