Texas vs Arizona

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Dec 14, 2021.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Starting a very needed thread. I’ve nothing to post right now but I’m sure some of ya’ll do. Other than 9-0, #6 rank, and former land thief guard S. Ellington don’t know anything. I do know a win in Vegas over Wildcats would feel as good as an ALL-IN pot rake in Texas Hold-Em.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

AZ #4 in the AP poll. A win would look great on the resume and should put the Longhorns in the Top Ten headed into conference play

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Arizona, like our 'Horns, has a stingy defense also. Should be a good game!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We’ve got this. :smokin:

• Like Like x 4
  5. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

So, I don't know much about Arizona, other than they are top 5. I believe they lost their top guard but otherwise are mostly intact. Does anyone have any thoughts/information about our matchups? I expect that (1) will be fine, and (2) should be ok. Against Idaho we had to go away from Ebo pretty quickly. I loved seeing Lattimore's contributions and am wondering what role she might play. Deyona and Audrey will be our foundation, along with Rori.

• Like Like x 1
  6. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Arizona has 2 from Spain, and singles from Turkey, Estonia, Canada, and my least favorite country of California. They have size. Lauren Ware who we recruited is 77”. Another at 78” so we will be undersized again. Cate Reese a big forward from Cypress Woods Texas is their best player. I’ll find their stats but Pellington, Ware and Reese are at the top of the food chain. They beat Louisville and DePaul who are really good teams.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Lauren Ware recently dislocated her knee cap and didn’t suit up for their last game against New Mexico. Adia Barnes mentioned in the linked article that Ware won’t play against Texas if she’s not 100%.

Arizona women’s basketball finds answers, defeats New Mexico

8. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Good article. It appears quickness will put their bigs on the bench cause their bigs couldn’t guard a small five out offense. We don’t play that way but our quickness at some positions might hurt them. Arizona apparently can play small ball and has some BTA shooters. It will be interesting matchup watching these two coaches trying to get the advantage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Arizona has been closely challenged by some unranked teams while managing to defeat their only ranked opponent Louisville by a bucket. I’m feeling pretty good about our chances. We’ve played our share of unranked teams too - soundly beating all - but we’ve been extremely competitive against three ranked teams - beating two and almost beating the third. Moore could be key if she is back to 100% which would be asking a lot. Hunter and Harmon will only get better with each game which bodes really well for us. And I trust Harmon, Warren and Taylor to disrupt Arizona’s offense as only they can do.
    :bevo:

• Like Like x 7
  10. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Moore will be rusty/out of shape, if she plays at all. Deyona and Latasha will be key. Otherwise, I like our matchups at the other 3 positions. And I agree that our quickness will cause them problems.

• Like Like x 5
  11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Yes. I fear she won’t even play but one can hope.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Will any of you be there? You can't miss me...I'll be the one wearing burnt orange.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m going to the game as well

• Like Like x 3
  14. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I wanted to but family holiday commitments got in the way. But I’ll be watching on TV!

• Like Like x 2
  15. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Just now noticing that Arizona is playing Friday evening before meeting us Sunday. Considering we tend to wear teams out, that might work in our favor.

• Like Like x 5
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  17. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The hay is in the barn!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

It was good to be able to hear the questions from the reporters. I guess Bianco took my email to heart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

So you did that! Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

An easy win tonight meant their starters got plenty of rest and their bench got some additional court time. :idk:

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

I'm leaving on a jet plane in a few hours. Looking forward to the men's & women's games.

• Like Like x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

So very right. Their starters averaged about 11 or 12 minutes (high 14 minutes and low 9 minutes).

24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

It’s tomorrow.
    It appears I’m staying in the same hotel as the team (I just arrived this morning). I’ve seen several players walking thru the lobby and I think Kathy Harston from a distance (1st clue).

• Like Like x 3
  25. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Everyone please discard my comments. I don’t know why I thought today was Sunday.

• Funny Funny x 2
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Happens to all of us - all day Wednesday I thought it was Thursday and then doubled down Thursday by thinking it was Wednesday. No - I had not been drinking.

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Only 10 in the picture? Did Aaliyah and Kobe not travel with the team?

• Like Like x 1
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Looks like everyone is present and accounted for.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

sorry guys I jinxed it

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  30. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Wow! That sucks. I'm sure they were really looking forward to this. I hope the magic show was good...