Texas vs Arizona

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Chevalier was simply not as talented as ANY of our freshman class. Not even close. She was one dimensional, only able to go to her left, and not much good offensively or as a playmaker. She was on the bench so much for good reason, Kendall Hunter would have been a far better option there than Chevalier...even as a freshman.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

You left out a combined NINE turnovers and 7 of 18 shooting between them. 30 plus percent is not good. They both at times are out of controll... To this point, with a couple of exceptions, they have simply not played well or offered consistent leadership.... I love these two players but facts are facts...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  3. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

All in fun. I posted before the season tipped off that we would have games like this. Need a true 2nd point guard now though so need to figure that out asap.
    I am a little disappointed at JAT and Warren's season so far. Some of their decisions have been head scratching and now it looks like JAT has added a 2nd role. Am wondering if Moore and Kobi will see the floor again this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

JAT is a warrior. I think she played all 40 minutes. Schaefer is getting her accustomed to being the primary backup to Harmon. Once again, Harmon is getting in foul trouble by making unnecessary fouls. I’m not going to analyze all of them but the almost taking charge one could have been avoided. And the one with most wonderment was number 5. JAT CAN be an adequate substitute but the 6 turnovers were too many. Her conditioning is best on the team and has been getting better. In my fair and biased opinion is that her poor early season shooting woes was because she puts so much energy into defense, it can lead to poor shooting. I think her shooting will continue to get better. What I like is that JAT recognizes when she makes poor decisions…..like the loopy entry pass and the soft ball reversal pass on the full court press that led to an easy layup for San Diego. Her body language is such that she simply hates she made the bad play. I can live with that. JAT can improve her point guard play. The correct answer is for Harmon to make better defensive decisions so that JAT doesn’t have to play 36 minutes as the point guard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

According to the stats, Kobe had five minutes in yesterday's game. Kyndall logged seven minutes, Shay and Femme each had a minute.

6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Harmon, Matharu, JAT and Warren all average about 2 TO per game.

JAT averages about 10 pts per game. Warren averages 5 rebs and is one of our best free throw shooters. They are incredible on defense and Vic says of one “an incredibly high basketball IQ” and of the other “a warrior”.

7. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Again, there is a big difference between 2 turnovers and six for JAT and 3 for Warren. Have you looked at JAT’s shooting percentage? It’s pretty bad. I love these two, but stats don’t lie. Neither one has played particularly well at this point and seniors should be better. I hope they both become more consistent. It was both JAT and Warren who missed several 10 footers in the crease of the Tennessee zone, They both can do better and hopefully will do so. One would expect more consistency out of seniors...

8. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Really poor showing. Not one player really looked confident. Perhaps Hunter is being given limited minutes given her recent injury? Vic did pull Holle out of the game when she fouled a 3 shooter but he put her back in later. Re Moore, Vic said in a recent presser that they were being careful with her and she still had a ways to go with her injury (not sure what it is exactly) but he expected her back at the first of the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

if your point is that they could do better, point taken. That is true of every player in the game.

They are both starters and consistently play the most minutes for a reason. They are incredible on the defensive end and remain pivotal in Vic’s offensive scheme. Neither can be ignored by opponents which means they open the floor for their teammates to get shots. They are always where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be there. Vic has said that more times than I can remember.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Believe as you will... Everything I stated is true and accurate. NEITHER has played well overall this year as is EVIDENCED by their stat lines. JAT is shooting .320 from the field and Warren .386, the two lowest on the team. And yes either one can and have been ignored and still failed to deliver consistency. If you think that is being “pivotal” in offensive scheme and flow, well..... Seniors should be better and hopefully they will get there, but thus far, they have just not been consistent..... I cheer as loud for them as any player and hope they improve in their shooting and decision making. There is plenty of time.....

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I love the back story of how Univ. of San Diego stepped up to play Texas after playing earlier that same day against Arizona State.

What I didn't know is that Ohio State was in Los Angeles to face UCLA on Sunday, but their game was cancelled due to positive tests within UCLA. Ohio State remained in the region as they will face San Diego State on Tuesday but declined to play Texas.

As much respect I have found for Univ. of San Diego, I have lost for Ohio State.

I also suspect there will be a Texas WBB trip to Univ. of San Diego in the near future.
    Texas coach Vic Schaefer also worked some magic while the Longhorns were in Las Vegas. After the team that Texas was supposed to play disappeared, a late-night scheduling scramble salvaged the Longhorns’ weekend. And on Sunday, No. 11 Texas improved its record to 8-1 with a 74-58 win over the University of San Diego.
    Texas was set to play No. 4 Arizona on Sunday as part of the Pac 12 Coast-to-Coast Challenge. On Saturday evening, that marquee matchup was canceled because of COVID-19 protocols and contact tracing within Arizona’s program.
    Event organizers said they’d help Texas try to find a replacement. If it was unable to find someone to play them in Las Vegas on such a short turnaround, Texas also considered finding an early-week contest on the East Coast since it will be playing at Princeton this upcoming Wednesday.
    Texas attempted to coax teams — including a couple schools that had played in the area on Saturday and No. 24 Ohio State, which plays at San Diego State on Tuesday and had just had its Sunday contest at UCLA nixed because of the Bruins' COVID-19 protocols — into replacing Arizona. The Longhorns were repeatedly turned down. At one point, Schaefer tweeted out a plea that asked any team looking for a game to contact him.
    Texas assistant coach April Phillips eventually connected with a friend at USD. The Toreros seemed intrigued with the idea of playing in the Pac 12 Coast-to-Coast Challenge, which led to a deeper conversation with Schaefer. By 10:30 p.m., Texas had a new opponent.
    "Just thought it was just a really classy thing they did and a tremendous thing they did," Schaefer told the American-Statesman. "Hats off to them and their team. I thought they were a lot better than Texas today."
    After the Longhorns and Toreros agreed to play, Schaefer and his coaches got to work. Texas secured film for four of USD's games, and Schaefer said his coaching staff was "up all night." Texas players took a peak at that film after their Sunday shoot-around.
    "My kids were extremely disappointed when they found out we weren't playing Arizona. They couldn't believe it," Schaefer said. "It wouldn't have mattered who we played, that's no excuse. You only get 29 games, you should be jacked up, fired up, appreciate the opportunity, all of that.
    "But let's be honest, human nature. My kids were ready for number four. They wanted that opportunity and when they didn't get it, I don't think it would have mattered who we played today, it was a little bit of air out of the bubble and it shouldn't have been."
    Schaefer said the Toreros boarded a plane on Sunday morning in order to make it to a game that tipped at 2:30 p.m. Schaefer didn't know what deal the Pac 12 Coast-to-Coast Challenge organizers made with San Diego. He did tell USD coach Cindy Fisher that he'd return the favor to her in the future.
    In a series of tweets on Sunday, USD athletic director Bill McGillis explained why the Toreros agreed to play Texas on such short notice. He argued that the cancellation of a game that was to be televised on ESPN would be bad for women's basketball. McGillis added that the Toreros are competitors. He then said that both UT and a USD program that had its 2020-21 season cut short by the pandemic deserved to play in such an event.
    "We're committed to providing our super seniors experiences of a lifetime," McGillis tweeted. "This game does that."

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Texas gets San Diego to fill in at Las Vegas event

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Really classy from USD AD! Vic owes them big time! I hope we go out there next year as pay back!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

A trip to San Diego would be great for everyone!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Was there a Schaefer post-game press availability for USD game? If so, can someone post a link.

• Like Like x 2
  15. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I too haven't found one yet. I'm still waiting for the Jerritt Elliott's press conference after the loss to Nebraska. I'm guessing Texas isn't going to release it at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  16. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

That's a damn shame. Vic's press conferences are often more entertaining than the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1