Texas vs Baylor, Game Two

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Feb 18, 2018.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

#6/#6 Texas (22-4; 13-2) and #3/#3 Baylor (25-1; 15-0) meet for the second time this season. Baylor took the first game at Waco 81-56. Texas leads the series 58-37. The teams split the games last season after the Horns had lost fourteen in a row. Baylor will look to run their current winning streak over Texas to three.

This game is Texas’ annual "Shoot for a Cure" game to promote breast cancer awareness. I am going to guess that they want people to wear pink. Among other things, 2,500 pink Longhorn tee shirts will be given out. Check out the link below for a list of other freebies. There are some nice stuff for students.

http://texassports.com/news/2018/2/15/womens-basketball-hosts-baylor-in-big-monday-top-10-matchup.aspx

BAYLOR LADY BEARS
    Baylor is led by their frontcourt as Kalani Brown (#21, 6-7 Jr. C) averages 19.1 ppg, Lauren Cox (#15, 6-4 Soph. F) adds 14.9 ppg and Dekeiya Cohen (#1, 6-2 Sr. F) notches 12.4 ppg. Kristy Wallace (#4, 5-11 Sr. G) puts in 13.3 ppg as the starting PG. Those four have the top four FG% for the Lady Bears. Brown has made 62.4% (111-178) of her shots. Cohen is at 55.0% (71-129). Cox comes in at 51.4% (93-181). Wallace is making 48.7% (93-181). Wallace (19-55; 34.5%), Juicy Landrum (#20, 5-9 Soph. G; 15-47, 31.9%) and Alexis Morris (#11, 5-6 Fr. G; 15-28, 53.6%) are the primary 3pt threats. Cox can hit the trey as well but is currently at 14.3% (2-14) in league play which is not much worse than her season average of 18.2% (4-22) for threes. All five current starters are making over 70% of their FTs: Brown (64-84; 76.2%), Cox (35-45; 77.8%), Wallace (29-39; 74.4%), Cohen (32-45; 71.1%) and Landrum (5-5; 100%).

Brown is averaging a double double with her 10.1 rpg to go with her scoring. Cox is just off joining her with a double double as she averages 9.1 rpg. Wallace and Cohen grab 5.4 and 5.7 rpg, respectively. Off the bench, Didi Richards (#2, 6-1 Fr. G) adds 5.3 rpg. Richards also is excellent at drawing charging fouls. The core seven all have at least 22 assists. Wallace leads the way with 86 while Morris (46) and Cox (40) do a good job of finding their open teammates. Four players have reached double digit blocks, led by Cox’s 40 and Brown’s 21. Cox tops the team with 14 steals. Cohen, Richards and Landrum each has 13 steals. Wallace and Morris each has nine steals.

With a bench of two and occasionally three, Baylor plays all players a lot of minutes. Among the starters, Wallace (33.0 mpg) and Cox (30.7 mpg) play the most. Brown is at 29.1 mpg while Cohen is seeing 27.4 mpg. Landrum, a starter for the last five games after Nancy Chou went out with an injury, is currently averaging 15.9 mpg. Landrum, in her five starts, is averaging 26.2 mpg. Off the bench, Morris sees action at the rate of 23.9 mpg while Richards is at 19.4 mpg. Moon Ursin (#12, 5-7 Fr. G) has seen action in ten league games at a pace of 9.1 mpg.

TEXAS LONGHORNS
    Ariel has moved the top of the three main scoring threats for Texas. She is averaging 14.6 ppg. LaShann contributes 14.1 ppg while Brooke puts in 12.9 ppg. Jatarie continues to inch closer to double digits with a current average of 9.6 ppg. Three of the Texas starters are hitting over 50% of their shots. LaShann is hiting 55.1% (81-147) while Ariel is at 53.8% (84-156). Jatarie comes in at 50.4% (61-121). Off the bench, Rellah (17-31; 54.8%) and Jordan (21-41; 51.2%) have the best shooting percentages. Texas has four primary 3pt threats. Brooke (20-70; 28.6), Ariel (17-49; 34.7%) and LaShann (10-30; 33.3%) start while Alecia (10-35; 28.6%) comes off the bench. Ariel (34-37; 91.9%), Brooke (32-35; 91.4%) and LaShann (39-52; 75.0%) lead the Horns in making their FTs. Joyner (23-37; 62.2%) and Jatarie (22-32; 68.8%) also do a good job of getting to the FT line.

Ariel and Joyner are tied for the lead in rebounding at 6.1 rpg. Jatarie adds 5.8 rpg while Brooke gathers in 4.5 rpg. Texas averages 15.3 apg. The starters account for 12 of that with Brooke’s 4.4 apg tops. The Horns’ starting backcourt have all exceeded 20 steals in conference games. Ariel’s 42 tops the trio. Ariel’s 12 blocks leads the all the available players.

Texas will start the following lineup for the third game in a row against Baylor: LaShann, Ariel, Brooke, Jatarie and Joyner. Those five, along with Jordan and Jada, have played in all 15 league games to date. Alecia has played in all 14 games she has been available for. Brooke tops the team in mpg with 31.9. Ariel, LaShann, Jatarie and Alecia all averge in the 20-29 mpg range. Joyner, Jordan and Rellah are in the teens although Joyner has averaged 20.5 mpg since moving into the starting lineup the last two games.

LINEUPS
    Projected starting lineups are based on the last game played.
    Screenshot (84).png

Texas had no answer for Baylor’s trio of Brown (17 pts, 11 rebs), Cox (17 pts, 10 rebs, six blocks) and Wallace (27 pts) in the first game. The Texas backcourt will need to put the clamps on Wallace, who got what seemed an endless stream of layups. Her successful dashes down the court after rebs or made shots kept the ball from Brown and Cox but resulted in a career high of 27 pts.

Joyner should help in keeping the frontcourt scoring closer to where the battle in the backcourt will determine who wins this game. Both Joyner and Jatarie need to stay out of foul trouble. Rellah needs to be ready to go in. Jatarie, Rellah and Joyner will need to work hard to keep Brown from setting up within five feet of the basket. She is very hard to keep from laying the ball in once she establishes position there. Jatarie will need to use her quickness to get her shot off against Brown.

I don’t expect Ariel to have another poor shooting night like she had in the first game. The defense is going to have to cut off Wallace when she initiates the fastbreak. Hopefully, Chasity will get into this game. She has looked pretty good recently. That would give the Horns five guards although the starters plus Alecia will get the majority of the minutes. I don’t really expect Brooke, Ariel and LaShann to get much rest. Richards gives Baylor a really good wing player off the bench who just makes plays on both ends of the floor.

This is going to be a battle royal at all positions.

STATS COMPARISON
    Team stats are for Big 12 games only.
    Screenshot (85).png
    Screenshot (86).png
    Screenshot (87).png

These are the top two teams in the Big 12. The two third place teams are four games behind Texas and six behind Baylor. To have any chance of tying for the regular season title, Texas needs to win this game.

Both teams run and gun as often as possible. They score at a similar rate. But Baylor has a distinct advantage defensively. Texas has an impressive scoring margin of 15.4 pts. Baylor almost doubles that with their scoring margin of 28.8 pts. Baylor is significantly better in FG% defense, holding opponents to 31.7% from the field and 26.5% from the BTA. Texas is second in FG% defense at 40.7% and in the lower half of the league in 3pt FG% defense at 33.1%. Another area where Baylor is better is rebounding, specifically defensive rebounding. Baylor tops the league in defensive rebounding. But Texas is tops in offensive rebounding. That board battle should be fun to watch.

The Horns guards’ ability to hit the 3pter and midrange shots will critical to their winning this game. Although Brown has the height at 6-7, it’s the 6-4 Cox that is their best shot blocker. Texas lost their shot blocker with the injury to Audrey-Ann. Texas cannot fall into a hole at the start. And that is what Baylor will be trying to do to Texas from the start.

This should be an awesome game and should be the second highest attended game this season at the Drum. The only thing that might keep attendance down will be that it is a holiday weekend with Monday being Presidents Day.

The game will at 7 PM Monday (Presidents Day). It will be televised on ESPN 2 and will be carried on 105.3 FM.

• Like Like x 3
  2. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Let's be ready Texas.
    Hookem'

3. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Win or lose I just want to see the team play with heart, emotion, and great effort which is what they didn’t do in the first game. Coach Aston shouldn’t even have to say anything to get them ready for this game. She should just show them the film of the first game and walk out of the room.

• Like Like x 6
  4. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I agree Kurupt.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Coach Aston's media availability from today.

6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The team that played UConn could win.
    The team that played TCU the second time could win.
    I hope that team shows up. :bevo:

• Like Like x 7
  7. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree with the first two sentences. I am betting that team shows up Monday. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://texassports.com/news/2018/2/18/no-6-womens-basketball-preview-no-3-baylor.aspx
    http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/021818aaa.html

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

First replay of the game will be at 11:30 PM on the LHN with the replay of Game Day at 11 PM.

11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agree 100%

• Like Like x 3
  12. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I want to stomp them - beat them by 30 and make Kim throw multiple temper tantrums. But that’s just me.

• Like Like x 11
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Man, I am anxious for this one to get underway! :coolnana:

• Like Like x 1
  14. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Coach Aston also needs to be on the refs from the jump. And don’t let Mulkey control them like she likes to do.

• Like Like x 4
  15. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Let's play smart ladies. I see you Brooke raining 3s.

16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm not watching the game but read the stats on ESPN. We're out-shooting them from the field (Baylor has not made a three) but we're down by eight at the half. The difference? Looks like Offensive Rebounds; Baylor has ten to our two. Looks like they are getting lots of second shot chances.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Please take J. Underwood off of trying to play defense on a guard. She is just too slow. And J. Hosey will not be able to defend L. Cox or K. Brown down low.

• Like Like x 3
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Great start to the second half; down by one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Disappointing. First, Antonelli and Mowins were awful. They had two things to talk about --- how incredible Kristy Wallace is, and whether or not Baylor deserves a 1 seed. Very little analysis or insights about the game. You'd basically think only one team was playing in this game. Brooke was unbelievable, but got about five words of discussion. Yes, I would say Brooke was better than Wallace, because Wallace had a lot of support, and Brooke didn't.

Until the last part of the fourth quarter, we didn't look like we thought we could win. I'm sure we were trying. I know it's hard to look good against Baylor, but I was surprised about the lack of competitiveness, to quote KA. What's happened to Lashann? What on earth are we going to do without Brooke next year? Sutton will need to find a way to take more three's, since, other than Brooke, she is pretty much the only player who can make one. Maybe Chas could have made some if she had been in more. Joyner played hard, but still has a hard time making a lay-up. I enjoyed seeing Rellah getting a lot of minutes. But isn't it weird that she would get hardly any time all year to perfect her game, and then be thrown in so long against Baylor. (Of course, not having Audrey-Anne was probably the reason.) We were okay, but to me, other than Brooke, that extra effort and inspiration just weren't there. We are capable of beating Baylor. Who knows? Maybe we will beat them in the tournament. Certainly no one will be expecting it, so maybe we will sneak up on them.

Brooke --- flat out amazing.

• Like Like x 6
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well damn...hate to lose to BU again but we got out-played and out-hustled. McCarty was LIGHTS OUT! If not for her creating her own shots we'd have lost by 20 because the half court offense is still terrible. May be we'll get them in OKC.

• Like Like x 3
  21. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Rebounding. Story line of the game. And Kim simply owns Karen. Texas plays like they don’t believe they can win. Baylor plays like they know they’ll win.

• Like Like x 4
  22. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

The difference was rebounding. You can’t give a good team that many extra possessions.

• Like Like x 3
  23. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

We really got Out Coached and out played in some position's on the floor. You have to guard K.Wallace all the way up the court. Make her tired.

• Like Like x 1
  24. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Baylor is a good team. We need to move on to the next game and not let this loss turn into a second. Brooke is amazing. Just amazing. You go girl. Maybe we’ll get another try in the B12 tourney.

:bevo:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  25. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for that. I usually record the game while I'm there and then rewatch to see what the commentators have to say. I won't bother this time.

• Like Like x 1
  26. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Tough loss. I can't stand Baylor but I have to give them credit for playing a good game. Anytime we got close, they would answer. When Kalani Brown had to sit with 3 fouls, Kristi Wallace seemed to take the team on her shoulders and scored at will. They play good fundamental basketball. Ugh....I really want the tide to turn and for us to win one of these match-ups.

• Like Like x 2
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

1) I guess Brooke's shooting slump is over
    2) Little warrior playing all 40 minutes
    3) I don't know what the deal is with Lashann's dribble-trips.
    4) Several times I saw wide open sides where Wallace could drive and score, and she did! They kept leaving a lane wide open on the right side.
    5) My seatmate was asking why we were purposely fouling near the end. I said to shoot threes and then she asked why. In the end losing by 6 is better than losing by 12 in the eyes of the committee (we hope)
    6) Why do the refs continually let the Wicked Witch ask for a replay of a foul in order to rest her players? Once in Waco on a bogus request and again tonight.
    7) Why? Because she intimidates them
    8) Male ref was god-awful tonight
    9) Khalani Brown isn't very athletic, but when you're parked under the basket all night long, of course you're going to score
    10) Where was our rebound? So tired of seeing a bunch of green jerseys under the basket all night long

• Like Like x 3
  28. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

My take on the good, the bad and the ugly tonight.

The Ugly; Kim Mulkey. Full stop. I think I am the only one on this board who is remotely positive regarding her and the BU program that she has built from the ground up. I have no doubt that I would feel differently about her if I were a BU fan, but I am not. She appears to be two different people, the competitor during games and the "statesman" in pre/post game. While I can "tolerate" her in game antics, some things are totally inappropriate. Tonight at the 9.6 mark of the 4th Q when Hosey and Cohen got into a little scrum, Kims reaction and words toward OUR player were wholly out of line. It doesn't look like much on TV, but in the gym she actually reacted aggressively and took steps toward Hosey as if she were going to get in her face. This is the second time she has verbally accosted one of our players (Empress 3 years ago in the B12 tournament). I am going to assume that Karen didn't see it, but it has got to stop. I can tell you if that had every happened when I was coaching I would be on the court and confronting the opposing coach. Every coach at any level knows the unwritten rule of not addressing other players. If you take issue with them, you address their coach and allow THEIR coach to address their own player. While I never advocate confrontations, I have to see that our coaches have our players' back. She even took a pot shot at Rellah in her post game comments. I cant say that i've ever seen such a decorated coach, male or female in any sport be equally as classless. It is honestly breath taking.

The Bad; our performance on the boards. We were simply out matched on the glass tonight. Cant happen against a good team, and certainly cannot happen against a top team like BU. They don't shoot the ball particularly well outside of the paint, so giving them second and third attempts usually ending in a layup is a sure fire way to come up with the short end of the stick. They had 14 O-boards, we cut that in half and the game is likely different. Credit to Cohen and the "others" not named Brown or Cox because they did some grown woman work on the glass today.

The Good; KA's game plan and our teams fight. While some posters said they didn't think the girls thought they could win or that we were "out coached" I don't quite see it that way. Our girls had about 6 or 7 different points in the game where they could've packed it up and got blown out but they didn't. The sign of a team is how well they execute the game plan, and defensively sans the rebounding I think we did that. To limit Cox and Brown to a combined 32 pts & 16 rebounds was very impressive. We also have to applaud the offensive effort and gameplan. While we came up short, we scored 87 points against one of the nations best defensive teams. If we don't blow 8 layups (my unofficial tally) and rebound even marginally better, the result of the game is different.

I wouldn't have any qualms about playing them again both in the B12 tournament and/or the NCAA's. I actually want it. Kick their A** when it would hurt the most.

• Like Like x 9
  29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Lest we forget... You can take the girl out of the trailer park but the trailer hitch will always be there.

• Like Like x 1
  30. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I'm guessing this was it:

"These kids don't come to Baylor to win games, they come to win championships. They don't run their mouths about how many championships they're going to win, they just go out and play hard."

But, then there was also this one:

"The most enjoyable part of all is that these kids like each other, they have great team chemistry. I don't have to suspend or bench them."

Wonder if that one was also about Rellah?

To me, she is so childish, having to reiterate something a 17/18 year old kid said before they even got to college.

I also saw the way she reacted to the foul called on Jordan after the scrum with Cohen. So unprofessional on her part. But keep taking the high road Coach A!!

• Like Like x 2