Texas vs BU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Feb 2, 2017.

1. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I made the mistake of going over to the Baylor message boards to investigate the topics of their conversations. They have a thread listing their predictions on the two upcoming games between Texas. Needless to say, they are highly confident (if not arrogant) they will beat us both games. Most of them predict a 15-20 point victory. This season, we've played the #1, #4, #6 and #9 ranked teams in the nation and none of them beat us by 20 points. UConn beat us by 18 but Ariel did not play for most of that game.

I know beating Baylor will be a formidable task and will require our best game. I'm hopeful that our difficult pre-conference schedule has increased our mental toughness and our team won't feel intimidated when they face Baylor. How do you guys think we match up with Baylor?

FWIW, I'm not looking past a tough Kansas State team. We've got to win that one before looking ahead to the Baylor game.

• Like Like x 3
  2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Defense. Period. Our offense is as good as it gets these days with multiple options and multiple players capable of getting double digits. If we beat Baylor it will be because we limited their baskets. Ariel and Holmes cannot get into early foul trouble. McCarty and Higgs need to have the game of their lives because Baylor will shut down Lang and will slow down Holmes. Atkins has to be Atkins. This game, Taylor's defense is our x-factor.

We have to limit our fouls! Have to. Here's hoping the refs don't get in the way.

• Like Like x 5
  3. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

The last couple of years, we've hung with them for the first half of the game. Maybe going into the halftime (when we still had 2 halves) maybe up or down by less than double-digits. The second half is when they usually blow the doors open. This year, it's going to be tricky with Joyner/Brianna/Ariel most likely picking up 2 fouls before the half and then having ride the bench.

• Like Like x 5
  4. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Anything is possible, including a Horn victory. A convincing win for the Bears is also possible, all the more so because they're playing at home. I do think we should play freely (not sloppily!), as logically, much more pressure should be on BU. They're higher ranked, currently forecast as a #1 seed, have home court advantage, and everyone expects them to win given their recent dominance in the series. Conversely, a loss to the #2 team in the country isn't going to impact our ranking, or current seeding to any great degree. Our mentality should be that we have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. We have improved over the course of the season, and no question have the talent to be competitive with a strong Baylor squad (despite what some on the BU forum seem to think). But first, our focus should be on a previously ranked (current #26 in the AP poll) and very good K-State team. Much more exciting to go into the Bear contest with both teams undefeated in league play, with sole possession of first on the line.

• Like Like x 3
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, Luther, I go there often to see what's going on just like I visit every Big 12 team that has a WBB forum. I have began to equate BU fans right up there with UConn's in terms of entitlement and expectation that they will blow out everyone. Although I have to concede that, so far, they have done that to everyone in conference except WVU.

While I agree with overseas that a loss would not hurt us in the polls, I expect at the very least a close game Monday, although I expect us to win. I think the difference for our team this year is their experience and mental toughness. For this team, that was tested and forged in games against UConn and the other top teams OOC. We have displayed that in our ability to keep winning in conference play. We will get our midterm exam Monday but have a pretty tough test Saturday before that.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  6. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

I made the mistake of going to the message boards of BU also, they HATE coach A i just dont understand the bad blood i guess thats what i will call it between the Head Coaches. I believe Joyner will turn on the Beast mode as i call it when she is unstoppable and will be the difference maker in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I too think fouls are the key to this game. IF we can stay out of foul trouble we can win this game. We are just as talented as BU but fouls are our achilles. Will be hard to win if our best players are not on the floor.

• Like Like x 5
  8. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

IMHO, they hate KA because she worked for Mulkey ONE year, and took off like a scalded dog after the realization of the insanity set in...but don't put much into it..Baylor Fans are about as nasty as their CA Coach!!
    :soapbox:

• Like Like x 3
  9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for all the great replies! We certainly can beat Baylor but it's going to take our best game. I know this; BU better get us this year because it's going to get more difficult for them next year (and the years thereafter). The tide hasn't completely turned but we are making progress.

Go Horns! Beat Kansas State!

• Like Like x 8
  10. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Exactly!!!

11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I think Holmes will negate Nina Davis this year. As I remember it, we didn't have an answer for her last year. The key is Jones and her size at point guard. I sure will be glad to see her graduate. The ladies can win this year and the gap is closing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Brooke has played vs PGs that have similar height advantages on her and been effective. The big difference in this game is the more scoring options Brooke has to go to this year. She can be a playmaking guard instead of trying to do it all. I think Joyner will be the xfactor for the Horns. If she can stay out of foul trouble, she gives Texas a defensive and offensive threat that will be difficult for Baylor to counter. And of course, there's LaShann. :bow: I really like how she has stepped up in big games and been consistent the last few weeks.

I really want to beat Baylor when they got everyone this year. No excuses.

• Like Like x 3
  13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

well, both teams won that last game and both head into Monday's game undefeated in conference play. Certainly, this will be a top 15 game and possibly, a top ten, depending on the AP poll Monday.

Now, we can start talking about this game although one day seems kinda of a short lead in.

• Like Like x 2
  14. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

If we rebound like our lives depend on it and make Free throws we will win, we will win but i always believe in texas , thanks who ever decided to play a very big game after one day of rest, but like what was said the Hard schedule will be the reason we pull it off, we are a seasoned team, and didnt have a cake walk in the begining of the season unlike Baylor, wonder what Baylor will *itch about after they lose.

• Like Like x 2
  15. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The usual Atkins needs to show up in Waco. We need her double digits and we need Higgs in double digits.

We can't play Baylor like we just played KState. We can't have scoring droughts.

• Like Like x 4
  16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Alright, this is the one we have been waiting for all season. UT vs BU, both undefeated in league, playing for the top spot in the league. BU ranked #2 in both polls as of Sunday. Texas at #12 in the AP and #13 in the coaches.

Both teams do pretty much the same thing, play tough defense, run whenever possible, go inside-out in the halfcourt offense. Both are deep and tall inside although BU has an edge in numbers. BU’s posts that have played in every Big 12 games go: 6-7; 6-3; 6-1; 6-4 and 5-11 (Davis). Mompremier is 6-4 and has missed the last four games due to an ankle injury. She is likely to at least be available for Monday’s game. Texas counters with 6-5; 6-3; 6-4; 6-4 as the primary post players with 6-1 (Jordan) and 6-0 (Jada) also available. Khaléann’s availability may be in question due to an injury that kept her out of Saturday’s game. I expect BU’s top six posts and Texas’ top four to all see action in what should be a very physical game inside between the league’s top two rebounding teams.

Both teams have a rotation in the backcourt that they use in tight games. BU primarily plays their starters: Jones, Prince and Wallace with Chou being the main bench player getting playing time. Horns use Ariel, Brooke, Brianna and LaShann as their primary backcourt rotation with Alecia also in the rotation. Jada is also used in the backcourt. In a game like this, the starters are likely to play major minutes with a shorten rotation. For BU, that means Chou and possibly, Landrum, a 5-9 Fr. G, will give the starters a few minutes off while Texas will rely on LaShann and Alecia as the primary players off the bench.

BU and Texas are one-two in the following league stats: scoring offense, scoring defense, scoring margin, FG%, FG% defense, rebounding offense, rebounding defense, rebounding margin, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, and offensive rebound %. That’s 11 of the 21 team stats that they rank 1-2.

Neither is shooting FTs well in league play. Baylor checks in at #7 (67.6%, 186-275) while Texas is at #9 (63.5%, 120-189). BU is tops in he league in FTs made and attempted. Horns are 8th in FTs made and 7th in FTs attempted. Big edge to Baylor there even if they shoot almost as poorly as Texas does.

This is going to be interesting to watch: Texas is the league’s best in making 3s at 37.1% from BTA. Baylor is the best at stopping the trey, allowing opponent to make only 25.5% of their attempts. Of course, Texas is more dependent on their post scoring and mid range scoring than their 3pt shooting as they are ninth in treys made and last in 3pters attempted. This is where BU’s prowess as a shot blocking team comes into play. They are the best shot blocking team in the league, forcing teams to shoot from the outside. Texas ranks fourth. Horns ability to score inside and from midrange will be critical. Four of the league’s top ten shot blockers will be on the court in this game.

This should be an awesome game. I know that Texas fans will be there and that the place will be packed. Great TV exposure for the league, hopefully ending with a Texas victory. :hookem3:

• Like Like x 2
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

AAS has the game story up already. Not going to sleep on this game. :smile1:
    http://www.hookem.com/story/texas-baylor-aim-big-12-basketball-title-state-bragging-rights/

Pretty sure that "family" was supposed to be "familiar."
    Curiously, the Baylorfan website is down right now.

18. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

I had a dream about two weeks ago that we beat Baylor, but as of now it is still only a dream, hopefully it becomes reality tomorrow! :bevo::hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  19. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Holmes fouls too much to be a factor vs Baylor. We commit way too may totally silly turnovers...like the throwing the ball away when nobody was in our back court but three of our girls and no pressure vs KSU. Baylor has way more solid big girls than we do. Our guard play will not be enough to off-set that. We are good, but not Baylor good. Plus its at Baylor.....Baylor by 10 if we play well.
    If Holmes and Lang stay out of foul trouble...we have a chance.

20. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Or you could root for the Horns.

• Like Like x 3
  21. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I think that Baylor will win because they have more scoring options than Texas. The inside play will be very important Joyner,Kelsey, and the other front court players have to match up with Baylor's size.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Guess the Ladies will go ahead and play the game even if the Bears are the favorite. You can't just say you can't win. We CAN win. It will happen soon. Why not tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I'm too much of a homer to agree with this post...lol. If we dont foul we can win this game. We are just as athletic as they are.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

We will win because thats how I feel until we dont! Thats my reality.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I love our girls and will root my heart out for them, but there's nothing Car stated that isn't a fact.

26. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Would love to see an upset but Baylor is still a level above Texas even though the gap is closing. I see a close game until the midway through the third quarter then Baylor pulls away.
    Baylor expects a sell out and they've been gearing for this game all year. The games Texas played to start the year should serve them well tonight.
    Go Horns.

27. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Points in the paint and fouls will determine this game. Which post players go to the bench first? Kelsey or Brown.

I think we see Joyner and Ariel show up and show out tonight. Holmes has waited for this game for a while. She made it known that she was never happy being the #2 player behind Cox and they don't have an answer for her when she is playing well.

If Brooke can negate whatever Jones does on the perimeter, I think Ariel can be the difference in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  28. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Good points, utfann. Agree this game will come down to execution, and who wants it more. Count me among those who don't think the Monday game is ideal, not that it doesn't wash since both squads played on Saturday (and, strangely, same scenario for our second match up with the Bears). This time around BU had to travel home from Lubbock, and we have to travel to Waco today. Still, no way to know if the quick turnaround will affect one team more than the other. Also a bit weird that neither squad had their best outing on Saturday. The Bears have beaten better teams than Tech by more, but that 39% from the FT line kept kept the blowout from getting out of hand. Same for the Horns....we led in almost every category....more rebounds, fewer fouls and TO's, and doubled up the Wildcats on assists, and had three times as many steals and blocks. But making just 47% of our FTs really hurt us.

Everyone should recall our first matchup with the Bears last season. We came out of the gate strong, and led most of the first quarter. At one point we were up 7 or 8, and looked like we might be up double-digits in a flash. Imani made a mid-range jumper, then followed that up with a 3 pointer. Right after the trey dropped Mulkey was jumping around, and did that thing all HC's do when something they don't like, or didn't plan on happens....she turned to her assistants with her hands up, as if to say, what the hell....Imani making shots from the field?! That was definitely something the Bears hadn't prepared for. Then, just as suddenly, we committed a silly foul, and next possession turned it over, and within a couple of minutes of the quarter ending the Bears were even, and then pulled ahead to finish the quarter on a 17-4 run, and up by 6. Why??? But the real difference in the game was the Bears shooting a phenomenal 96%, or 24 of 25 from the FT line!!!! They entered the game shooting over 30% less than that, somewhere in the 60's, yet managed to make those shots when it counted. They wanted in more, and they executed. So anyone who thinks we might see a repeat of that 39% FT performance from Saturday better re-consider.

Overall, we are a more confident team this season. We are better at avoiding those long droughts, and keeping our opponent from going on runs. We are much more focused on executing each point, rather than keeping track of the scoreboard, or what happened last time down the court. And if our shooters miss, they finally get it, and will put it up next time down if the shot is there. No question we have the talent to win, as do the Bears. Let's see who makes it happen tonight!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  29. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I was really expecting a big writeup on ESPN Hoopgurlz, about the Baylor vs.Texas game tonight.Nothing on there, but stuff about UConn. Both team's are on a winning streak.I think that is sad.

• Like Like x 2
  30. CavalryRoadie

CavalryRoadie < 25 Posts

You're spot on. These are two premier programs, undefeated in Conference play, and.....nothing.

• Like Like x 2