Texas vs BU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Feb 2, 2017.

1. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

i just looked it up baylor womens basketball message board dont have the link sorry

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Well ......why not tomorrow........did happen. It is entirely possible the top dog in B12 changed tonight. With this win, it should get those top recruits to think Austin and not Waco or Stores. With Boothe and Patterson this fall.....Aston should be able to get that one or two more difference makers in 2018. Baylor will still be tough but I think the Ladies will in short order be the favorite year after year. There is still some tough games coming this year but if the Ladies stay focused, a B12 CHAMPIONSHIP is in sight. It sure was nice to see the frustrations that Mulkey had tonight. She realizes things are different now. What a game. That is why they play Em and not just give it to the favorite.

• Like Like x 4
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

With Stanford now with 4 losses and our loss to them very early and now taking down Baylor......I think we are in the top 10 next week. It is possible the Ladies could be a 3 seed......and even better a 2 seed. Got to keep winning but easier to see now.

5. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

In a way, I don't think things will ever be the same now. Getting over this hurdle, we will think of ourselves as a team that is on the top tier in a way we haven't before. Should instill great confidence in the players. We will still have off nights and lose games sometimes.... but not often! My biggest congratulations are to Karen Aston. I have, of course, complained about this and that with her from time to time, but I think I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

• Like Like x 4
  6. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I really do think Aston was a mad genius with this years schedule. Not a single analyst that I heard talk about it thought it was nothing but a good idea. It seems to be paying off. Mental toughness especially in the 4Q and how many times have they scored in the last few seconds of a quarter this year?....seems like a lot, but I can remember when we used to couldn't even get a shot off and it was pretty much expected. Now we expect a bucket.

• Like Like x 4
  7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Baylor Freshman Cox - 4pts / 2 Rebs
    Texas Freshman Holmes - 18 pts / 10 rebs

I think Holmes proved the rankings wrong.

Baylor Seniors - 41 pts
    Texas Seniors - 3 pts

The future looks bright.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Rewatched the game and when Kalani Brown came down on her in the 4th quarter, you can see her grab Ariel to keep from going face first into the floor hard. I could never be a BU fan but I have a lot of respect for her and what she did.

• Like Like x 8
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Based on tonight's reveal of the selection committee's current seedings (before the Baylor outcome), Texas slid to #11 (#10 last week), a 3 seed.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...men-basketball-committee-top-16-latest-reveal

10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Favorite moment of the night occurred at the beginning of a TO when Mulkey approached the ref and said,"Hey, that was a foul. I know I'm getting my *** kicked but that was a foul!" I don't read lips to get through life but it is clearly what she said and made me smile.

• Like Like x 8
  11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I actually missed the first three minutes of the game and stayed up to see it on the 1AM replay. Mulkey benching all her starters a few minutes in was a ridiculous stupid stunt at a point when we were only 3 pts ahead. And it cost her 3 points. Your players had given you a 21 game winning streak and #2 ranking and you do that? I am so glad she is not our coach. It's a shame somebody so classless wins so much.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Very happy to admit I was wrong about this one. Can't believe we beat baylor in the ferret center. I haven't seen a Texas team play like that since 1986, at least for 3 qtrs. Great mental toughness though to pull out the When baylor tied it up.

Very happy we got Joyner over Cox. Cox doesn't appear to me to be near as athletic as she's supposed to be.

13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I agree. And I watched her mouth "my bad" and had a slight look of horror in her face during the fall. My wife said, "not the typical Baylor player"

• Like Like x 3
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That was a very well-called game. Sure, they missed some calls but I thought they called it fair. They let the players play and didn't let Mulkey call the game. Did anyone else see when Mulkey called that time out and walked up to the ref and said, "I know I'm getting my *** kicked, but THAT WAS A FOUL!"

• Like Like x 1
  15. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I saw that too. I think it was a bit petty of her to send the message to her starters "You stink so bad and are so replaceable that I'm just pulling you all out." I don't think her starters are worried about losing their starts, but it sends the message that she's not going to give them time to get in the flow of the game. Hey, dumb move, but good for us.

16. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, I was saying to myself, "Cox was #1? Really?" It's like Baylor got the Caddilac Escalade and we got the Ferrari

• Like Like x 2
  17. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I hope Karen let the team have two cookies, heck three cookies, on the way back to Austin. They deserved it!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Imani is savage

• Like Like x 16
  19. LeoBenz74

LeoBenz74 25+ Posts

I knew this team was going to prevail, I had it on my score prediction that we were winning I just didn't think we could score 85 on Baylor, I go into other forums and I still feel no one gives the players the respect they deserve no one ever mentions Brooke and Ariel as AA players but my god they are cool calm asassians!!!! Anybody have a link to the post press conference of Karen and our players? I saw Mulkeys press saying that it would be different if Montpmier played *bye felisia* :bevo::hookem::coolnana:

• Like Like x 4
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That would be great, but one game is but one factor and isn't an influencer. Win the next game against Baylor, and then the next 3 out of 5 and you get into the influencer sphere.

Baylor will pass this one off as the refs stole the game from Baylor (which is the reason for all of the drama aimed at the refs). You win as described above, and that excuse starts to fall on deaf ears.

21. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

I wonder do they ever stop Bitching

22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Did anybody see Jones and Davis going scoreless in the first half? Not me. Jones came to life late....... but too late for the Bears. I think one factor was Baylor trying to go inside to get us in foul trouble. That took away from their pick and roll game. They did get 24 points inside from their post. Their run in the fourth quarter came when Jones and others started to be more aggressive. I imagine a lot of adjustments will be made for both teams before the next game.

• Like Like x 2
  23. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Huh? Wait. What??? You mean those top recruits like the 9 McD's All-Americans that will be on the Horn roster next season? Recruit's like #1/#2 Joyner Holmes, or McDonald's National POY Ariel Atikins? Or the two consensus top 5 recruits that join us abut 7 months from now.

Those top recruits (Boyette, Atkins, McCarty, Higgs, Hosey, Holmes, Sutton, Boothe, Patterson, White etc) have been 'thinking' about, and signing with Texas for some time now, and we've got them lined up in every class all the way through 2020. But, of course, we'll take more, since it looks like all those elite prospects that haven't committed yet all have the Horns on their short lists.

• Like Like x 5
  24. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Look at their coach.......Ummm, no.

• Like Like x 2
  25. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

A big shoutout-out to Lang for her play last night. Brown and Cave had 27 points and Lang had one. But a key was Lang's ability not to get in foul trouble and make it hard inside. She played tough defense and made their posts work hard. She got some help from double-downs but still kept their posts from just taking over. If she had gotten in foul,trouble, it would have been huge as AG couldn't have held their posts in check. I never would have thought I could say.....good game.......to someone outscored 27-1 .......and maybe it is the euphoria of the win.........but congrats Kelsey.

• Like Like x 6
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Hold on here a bit with the outrage. Karen has been doing an outstanding job recruiting and coaching these AA. Totally agree. But when players like Megan Walker choose to go to UConn over Texas because her chances are winning a national championship (and let's be frank Baylor's as well) are more near term than Texas.....the original poster is being realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  27. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

That's silly. No program signs every top recruit. Not UCONN, BU, ND, SC or any other. Would it have been nice to sign Walker? Sure. And no doubt the Huskies, Bears and many others feel the same about Holmes. And after last night's game, no doubt they feel it even more acutely. But we have been right at the top in terms of elite prospects signing with the program in recent years, and even those we miss on more often than not have us on their short lists. But the original post, and follow-up seemed to indicate our recruiting efforts were still a few steps behind other top programs, and there isn't any basketball guru/coach/journalist in the country that would agree with that sentiment.

• Like Like x 3
  28. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I love it.

Although Baylor will be trouble for years to come with that roster, consider that the two Lexi, Jones (19 pts) and Prince (14 pts), along with Davis (8 pts) and Cave (1 pt) will be gone girl.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Brnjk and I have been watching Cox and Holmes since 9th grade. We NEVER thought Cox was number 1, NEVER. I think Cox will develop into a good player, but she is simply not on the same level as Holmes. Holmes hasn't even scratched the surface yet of what she can do. JUST WAIT......

• Like Like x 8
  30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Aston has been getting her share for sure. But I am greedy. The Walker situation was on my mind. I "think" she really wanted to come to Austin but the for sure thing in Stores was the thing that got her to UCONN. Her quotes were to that effect. No one is feeling poor by getting Patterson and Boothe for next year along with White. We are now going national in recruiting but first we need to win Texas.......by beating Baylor. Perhaps last night was the biggest hurdle for that goal. Then the Brunell's in Virginia and others nationally will see you can play for national championships at Texas. I don't want Aston to get every great recruit....just the ones she REALLY wants. Yes I am unapologetically greedy......

• Like Like x 2