Texas vs BU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Here is Mulkey's postgame interview. She was pretty humble and admitted defeat but there is still that smugness that leaks through.

2. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Nothing to disagree with in that interview with Mulkey or players. For sure they missed Beatrice M as she adds. She must have a high ankle sprain as she has missed quite a few games. If she can play next Monday, it will change the dynamics somewhat. Mulkey must be hard to play for as you can see the hurt in Jones face.....and for sure Mulkey was talking about Jones and Davis directly.

3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

One more take-away from the game itself... While it certainly was agonizing watching that 4th quarter BU run that tied the game late, in the grand scheme I think we benefit far more from regrouping and making the plays in the final minutes to put the game away than we would've by running off and leaving them in a double digit win. If I'm not mistaken, just the opposite of last night's game happened during the first meeting of the two unbeatens last year in Austin.

• Like Like x 3
  4. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Watching her interact with her players last night, was similar to a parent who has "over-parented" her children. Her players had blank stares and seemed to be tuning her out. As a parent, I know that too much nagging is ineffective. My kids may be looking at me but they are no longer listening. It occurred to me last night that I'm not sure if they even like Mulkey.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Great effort and execution last night by the coaches and players; it's great to have them experience a victory over Baylor in Waco; not many have as of late.

Make no mistake, that was a milestone victory for this program, and for Coach Aston. Baylor had been the one team she had not yet defeated in Big 12 play; and, they are the queens of the Big 12 until someone takes their crown. Regardless, this victory provides confidence and momentum for the players going forward, and that's invaluable. Earning a road victory over the #2 team in the country definitely brings more publicity for Aston's rising program; and yes, it will open the eyes of some future recruits.

Just gonna enjoy this victory as a fan for a few days. I was not expecting it. First time all season where our key players all stayed out of early foul trouble. Joyner, Brooke, and Atkins all played 35 minutes. All three were on their games. Lashann made up for Lang's lack of scoring. Lang was a trooper just being on the floor, even if she wasn't scoring for us.

• Like Like x 4
  6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Here is Mulkey's postgame interview. She was pretty humble and admitted defeat but there is still that smugness that leaks through.

Thanks for the link, got one for Karen postgame?

7. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

To be fair, most of the Baylor fan comments were complimentary of Texas. They are hugely impressed by Holmes. "Too big for Davis to handle, and too fast for Brown." They think their team will play harder next time, and they are probably right. When you've beaten an opponent 14 times in a row, a certain complacency has to set in; and that got shocked out of their systems Monday night. Their fans also kept remarking Atkins and McCarty were red hot and it was Texas best game of the season. Once again they're right. Defensively and offensively it was absolutely our best. Of course that's what great teams are supposed to do---give their biggest performances in the biggest games. This was intense, championship caliber basketball, Final Four basketball, with star players making star quality shots. It was thrilling to see. We could lose a couple more games, with Oklahoma, Kansas St. and Fla St. coming up, and Baylor again. But we are capable of scoring over 80 against a top five team, and we immensely strengthened our chances of a high seed.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

Interesting discussion on The Boneyard, although one commented they don't need to worry about Baylor in Dallas.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/four-top-20-teams-will-lose-tonight.106022/

9. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I have to admit, if I were a BU fan, I'd be pretty upset at that "moving screen" call at the end; actually surprised Mulkey didn't point that out.

10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Maybe she didn't because it was a moving screen. You have to be in place before the player runs into you, not as she is doing it.

Mulkey reminds me of Tonya Harding. The sport could have laid the world at her feet but instead her feet and her head never got farther than the sport.

If you wonder what it is like to play for Kim Mulkey, read Brittney Griner's story. A Baylor legend and she has nothing to do with Mulkey anymore.

• Like Like x 3
  11. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Found two links, but this one sums it up: http://deadspin.com/brittney-griner-says-baylor-wasnt-a-good-place-to-be-ga-1563484030

I remember right after Mulkey's first championship one of her best shooters suddenly left Baylor with a few years of eligibility left. The next year, she stated that she didn't feel comfortable being gay at Baylor; that she felt pressured to suppress herself. When told of that statement, Mulkey responded with astonishment and indignation.

Just win baby, until they don't need you.

12. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I have no problem with her comments. I know everyone loves to hate Kim but she's a dang good coach (even if she's irritating as hell to watch on the sidelines). That said I don't recall her talking like Dolly Parton (sorry Dolly).

13. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

WE ARE TEXAS!!

14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I'm looking to you now, Malcolm, to know who to put money on. Well done.

• Like Like x 3
  15. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I saved this game on my DVR and look forward to savoring it again...with less stress and a slower heart rate the 2nd time around.

You can definitely see the underlying respect the BU fans have for Texas now. I found their discussion quite different than in the past in that regard.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

Dang, that's priceless! I had to go retweet that. Gotta love Imani.

• Like Like x 3
  17. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I have no issue with her remarks - rather humble for Kim actually - but watching this makes me proud of the way our players and coach present themselves to the public. Kim and company seem a bit joyless and... what's the word... unsophisticated is the best I can come up with. And they seem that way regardless of the outcome of the games. Baylor players might win a lot of games, but UT players ultimately are better equipped to win in the game of life...JM(not so)HO :smokin:

:bevo:

• Like Like x 2
  18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I was surprised at the moving screen call late. On review it looked iffy. Aston said on the Longhorn Network show last night that she wasn't sure what the refs saw. Admitted we got the benefit there and it was a critical call. I will try and remember that the next time a crucial call goes the other way. Doesn't take anything away from the win in my fair and biased opinion.:yippee:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I think the moving screen was the right call. Brown was trying to get to that spot and was still moving when she impeded Taylor's movement. She was never set in that spot.

Most times, we see a player set in a spot, and then they stick out an elbow or a hip, and get called for an offensive foul.

The play on Monday had Brown take a step or two towards a moving Brianna.

• Like Like x 1
  20. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

The textbook definition of a moving screen.

• Like Like x 2
  21. HANNAHORN

HANNAHORN 100+ Posts

Mulkey looks like she's been rode hard and put up wet.

• Like Like x 3
  22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

how about that? a decent hour to watch the Tx-BU replay.
    7 PM tonite on Fox College Sports Pacific (Spectrum 374 in the Austin area). Like someone posted, much more relaxing watching the replay! :smile1:

• Like Like x 2
  23. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Ain't that the truth!

24. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The other night they were replaying our game and on another channel also replaying the 2016 NCAA Elite 8 game where Oregon beat Baylor so you could literally go back and forth between our game and that game and watch Kim lose twice. Sweet.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Cox reminded me of an upgraded Lang.

26. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Us vs BU replay today at noon on LHN. If you have AT&T Uverse, would not recommend it...it sucks, ch 611 or 1611.

27. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

• Like Like x 4
  28. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Listened to Mulkey's post game. One of her comments struck me as odd. She something like "I want to beat you when we play checkers, that's how competitive I am".

Who does not try to win at any game they are playing? Ok, maybe against my children or my grandchildren. Anybody else, I am going to try to win. I think everybody is like that.

• Like Like x 1
  29. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I know I hate losing if I am playing against someone else. :smile1:

30. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

"Storrs", not "Stores"...no shopping up there...I hope we never ever go there!