Texas vs Iowa St

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

What strikes me as interesting in this game, other than facing the conference leader, is how many top B12 teams will be losing their best players.

(This assumes the cream aspire to the WNBA or other pro opportunities and decline their Covid year.)

Iowa St: will lose their star, Ashley Joens, but have other significant returning contributors like Donarski and Ryan.
    OU: Madi Williams, Taylor Robinson, Ana LLanusa
    Baylor: NaLyssa Smith, Jordan Lewis, Queen Egbo
    Kansas St: the exception to the rule, they could return Ayoka Lee (Jr) and will return all their good freshmen.

Texas is no exception. We know our three seniors, who provide very significant minutes, will require replacement. Vic talks about how young we are, just wait until next year. Of course, Rickea could really lessen this blow. What other program is a better fit for her?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I think A. Lee has already said she’s returning

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

The loss of NaLyssa Smith will certainly impact Baylor. Although BU will likely pick-up a few portal players, I don't expect that any transfer will be an equal replacement for the productivity that Smith provides to Baylor.

I'm very curious if Joens, Williams and Robinson will leave for the WNBA or other opportunities. Madi Williams has been very impressive this season for OU and her stock has risen as a result. They are all impact players, and their decisions will greatly affect their respective teams one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I keep thinking the same thing, but reality is we don't know what's inside these girls heads. I would think certainly Smith, Egbo, Joens and Williams are WNBA rd. 2 at worst, but Big Red motors can probably pay better than the WNBA as well as others.

If any have a case for coming back I would think its Texas' players. They might be able to make a team by free agency but I don't see any of them getting drafted. JAT would probably be highest, but also the easiest to replace as we have depth there. Provided we don't have transfers.

We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
  5. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

N. Smith is a top 5 pick and Joens is probably top 10-15. Hard to imagine them staying because in addition to the WNBA, their overseas income would be 2-3x that

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

I was hoping somebody would take the bait I put out there and comment on Rickea = Texas. I have heard nada. Anybody?

When I asked my friend at the OU game what he thought, he said Rickea plays at a position where we already have numbers next year. I responded that Vic would take her in a heartbeat. He said "Yes, he would."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I really like A. Lee game. I like the way she plays like a big should play. She doesn't bring the ball down like alot of post players do. A very nice mid range game too. I think she has a great future at the next level.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

True we will have numbers at that spot next year, but those numbers will be very young and inexperienced. It may do them well to play behind someone like Rickea for one year and learn the ropes.

9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Comes to thread… looks at title… looks at thread… looks at title :idk:

But it’s all good. Horns up Wednesday at 7pm. This one has me very nervous but I think we will prevail.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

All it takes is for one person to go off topic and others follow. I was one who took the bait this time around...:smh:

Go 'Horns beat the Twister Sisters!:headbang:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

As a part of the tangent takers, here’s my contribution to get us focused on the task at hand. Go Horns! Let’s beat Iowa State!!

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  12. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

OK...I'll get back on track too, somewhat. There were two interesting takeaways for me above.

1) The mention of Aliyah nailing an assignment after being shown film that led to a steal and layup. Without attending practice everyday, it's impossible for us fans to analyze the intricacies of everything that occurs on the court. I try to keep it simple by focusing on the obvious, Vic's defensive philosophy, which governs 80% of what happens.

2) The yet-to-be-revealed procedure for season-ticket seat assignment for the Moody Center. Not knowing where my 4 seats will be located creates anxiety. My partner keeps telling me that my life's pretty good if that's all I have to worry about. She doesn't get it.

I'm looking forward to what the new arena will do for the fan experience and how that will stimulate the product on the court. It would be nice for the demand for seats to exceed supply once again. Rickea, are you listening? It's gong to be a great atmosphere next year. Oops, there I go again.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Thanks Luther
    Gave us our focusness back

But does Vic's whistle look a little tight?
    (Someone has to ask the hard questions)

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Okay, boo and hiss all you want, but I think the law of averages might catch up with us this game. With Ashley Joens back in the lineup and Iowa out for blood after the home loss, I think a win will be tough. (Can ya'll feel the hedging...I have toes on both sides of the line.) :e-thinking:

15. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Always a good place to stand. I wouldn't bet the ranch one way or the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The only thing that is keeping me hopeful
    Is that we tend to do really well against teams that rely heavily on the three. It’s that da*n back door cut that drives me crazy. We got it under control for one quarter against Baylor and for the entire second half against OU. Let’s hope we can go the full 40 tonight.

For better or for worse, I’ll be in the stands cheering them on.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

I hope our fans come out today and pack the arena. It needs to be the most we have had this season. Going to be a big test and I hope we are ready

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Sadly, the Wednesday evening crowd tends to be much smaller.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Right there with ya. Seems we play great at Ames and blow it in Austin against them the past few years.

20. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Regardless of what happens, let's keep perspective. They are the 6th ranked team in the nation.

• Like Like x 3
  21. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Sometimes we can't hit the floor if we threw our hat across the room.

22. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

“LAYUP MISS”

Lord I see this too much…

23. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

We'll have defensive breakdowns against this team. They are too good offensively. The key is to keep them to a minimum and make those points at the rim. Jeez...
    I like that our offense will be in front of the Tx bench in the 2nd half.

24. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Didn't we sweep them last year?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I want
    Rori
    Holle
    Audrey
    Deyona
    Ebo
    Starting second half. They played great.
    Jo, Matharu, Moore up next.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Incredible first half and UT has started off hot in the third.:fire::bevo:

• Like Like x 2
  27. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Talking about previous couple of years

28. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

This looks like a team that is finding themselves at the right time. Dominate performance!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Up 20. Hot da*n!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  30. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

OK, forget all that silly putty law of averages stuff I worried about earlier. I'm gladly proven wrong!:p:p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1