Texas vs Iowa St

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Zig72, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Only thing bad about our dumping on the conference leaders is that Baylor is at the head of the pack again.:mad:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • poop poop x 1
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Solid, solid performance! :hookem2:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

This team is putting it together at the right time. If we get play like that consistently we can hang with anyone in the country. I know we are 4th in the big 12 but in my honest opinion, we have the best chance to go the farthest in the tournament. That 2nd half lineup with Warren and Holle in the game is a defensive juggernaut!! Continue this play and we have something special :hookem::fire:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  4. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Once again I am so proud of these Ladies! Great game, very business like. And we can be better....

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. chuckhorn

chuckhorn 25+ Posts

Did I just see us play two great games IN A ROW!!! We looked comfortable playing offense!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Vic’s half time adjustments are great.
    Another 3rd qtr explosion. Amazing

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

To quote Vic, "the game is so much easier when you can make shots" . . . :e-hookem:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. FarawayFan

FarawayFan 25+ Posts

Well, can we take the * off the score in Ames now? We've proven we can beat them with the Joens sisters. Wonderful game, Texas!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  9. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Yes we scored, but what was their final score? Defense!

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

*destroy, not just beat. When we play like we have these last two games' second halves, no one can beat us.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Oh yeah, and I love the Shay story. She has earned her place in the lineup.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Vic Schaefer is now 5-0 against ISU since he arrived at Texas. I now understand why Arkansas' head coach stated that he was so glad Vic was leaving the SEC (as Arkansas plays a very similar style to ISU).

• Like Like x 1
  13. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The crowd was small but we were LOUD!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. NBhornfan

NBhornfan 250+ Posts

Offense is looking so much better. Love we can match up players based on style of play.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I thought we’d win - but not by 25. Schaefer must be a heck of a teacher because his students just get better and better. After the Baylor series I was concerned, which proves I know absolutely nothing about coaching basketball.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

Love the win but I gotta be the person to sprinkle in a little something something to think about. I love that Holle is playing better but I don’t like that it seems like Vic has throw Aaliyah well both of them (Matharu & Moore) away. Bottom line we will need her offense when we play someone just as proficient as us on defense. Plus him going away from developing Moore is going to sting because although Ebo is being solid we’ve seen this before but when she plays against a post who can hold they own we gonna need Moore. I’m just saying looking forward that’s when you see stories about players mental health.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Well, maybe he hasn't "thrown them away".

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We shot:
    50% overall
    50% from the 3
    80% from the line

We held ISU to 9 pts in the third quarter and just 4 made threes overall. They made 19 threes in their previous game against TCU.

If I’m not mistaken, there only two whistles in the first quarter. And I think we didn’t get our first foul until the final 6 seconds. They let a lot of fouls go uncalled, but I much prefer that to the alternative.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Let 'em play, especially as we head towards March!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

ISU had 23 assists at TCU the other night; only 6 assists tonight! :headbang:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Matharu did not look pleased tonight. She was the only player looking away as Vic gave his after game huddle speech.
    Something took consider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Vic is in a catch 22 with Matharu these last two games, individually she’s playing well. She’s defending and shooting the ball well, but it seems like the unit that has been providing the spark has been
    - Harmon
    - JAT
    - Hollie
    - Warren
    - Ebo

Hard to find meaningful minutes sometimes and that’s no fault of hers. She just has to embrace sacrificing for the team and being there when we need her because mark my words, we’ll need her at her best if we’re going to make a deep run

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Sincerely hookem

Sincerely hookem 100+ Posts

I wasn’t trying to negative Nancy or put a damper over the win but I was just pointing it out what I seen in her body language. It is hard I just hope that when we need her to be a dawg she she’lol be ready mentally and physically.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

This is so true. Matharu, Moore and Hunter are competitors and want to play and contribute to the team. Hopefully, they will navigate the disappointment they may be experiencing because they will be needed this season. The pathway to playing time opens up next season and they could be key contributors if they remain patient. As it’s been mentioned, Shay did not get much playing time last season and she looked lost most of the time when she did play. Shay is an example that good things can happen if one stays the course and works hard.

(Btw, I observed the same body language with Matharu tonight that @cnb mentioned. After she made the three point shot at the end of the game she was not happy. Her teammates were coming up to congratulate her and she wasn’t enjoying it. She walked away from them. It was odd.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

In the final two minutes of this, Vic talks about Matharu. It might address some of the concerns…

• Like Like x 3
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Nahhh... Vic has not "thrown away" anybody. Here's what you have to understand, and the players have to understand, when you have a combination of players on the floor that are on a hot streak and playing so well together at any given time.... Then you leave that combination on the floor until they either lose their momentum or they get tired and need a break. This has happened the last two games, and it is a very wise coaching decision not to disrupt the flow of the game when your team is hot.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Another thing about substitutions... Basketball is a game of matchups. You have to be able, when possible, to put combinations on the floor that match up defensively against the opponent's offense especially when they are as high powered offensively as a team like Iowa State. You may not have seen much of Moore or Lattimore the last two games but if not because big doesn't want to play them. Instead it is because we have played teams that have stretch four players. As athletic is Gaston is, even she struggled somewhat last night guarding Ashley Joens. Against OU and ISU the more effective combination has been JAT, Holle, and Warren at the 2, 3, and 4 respectively. Again, it's all about matchups. As someone said already we're very fortunate that we have personnel that can match up and defend pretty much any type of offensive combination.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1