Texas vs. Kansas: Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MajorRules00, Nov 13, 2021.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That had a lot to do with it. After that loss, they have played like they are in unfamiliar surroundings and lose their killer instinct, and focus. Now, when a team starts to come back or takes the lead, they don’t know how to react, and let the “here we go again” attitude take over, instead of ramping up their level of play and fighting for the win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Look back at the Tech game. Backup QB dropping bombs on this secondary. That 35 pts was a foreshadowing of how bad this defense would play against better teams - and worse teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Nebraska lost their pipeline when we joined the b12. Switzer always said the big8 would negatively recruit the SWC by saying you'll never play outside of Texas. He said knew it was BS, and was aimed at 17 yr olds that didn't know better. As if playing in Iowa, Okla, Nebraska was some vacation spot

But it worked. When we joined the b12 they went downhill fast because they were in the same conference as us and aggy. All of a sudden they're Tech without the charm of Lubbock. "Hmm, Austin or Lincoln?"...Even Dr Tom couldn't have sustained their prior level of success before to the merger. By year 4 or 5 after 1996 it was going to be hard for them to compete with Texas or OU

• Like Like x 1
  4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Heck, the defense showed its prowess against Arkansas. There was not a single scenario as the season unfolded that showed how/where/who would be the improved player or unit. 11-17 on 3rd downs, over 5 ypc, 0 forced turnovers tonight. Even though our offense finally outplayed someone late, the defense has been plagued by the same exact issues for years now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

How has Nebraska faired since leaving the B12?

When they left, they were playing for conference championships. Now they are stuck in a conference with no rivals, and no annual showcases for Texas recruits. The worst of both worlds.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  6. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Our D has not been impressive this season. The D line has been pushed back by our opponent’s O line, our DBs are constantly leaving guys open, are three or four steps behind the receivers in coverage, and miss tackles. The O line is mediocre to fair, but not stellar. WRs are ok to good. Worthy is really good as a receiver. RBs, Bijan is very impressive, but has a neck injury he’s nursing. The down side are the QBs. Thompson has been playing with an injury to his throwing hand which has affected his play. Card, is great while sitting on the bench, and needs to stay there. Lots of work to be done to improve overall. I hope Sark can bring in some stellar talent over the next couple of seasons.

7. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Nebraska never routinely came into Texas and pulled away the top players. Occasionally yes, but their difference makers weren't the best players from Texas. Mostly it was 3* and 4* guys. Most years it was only 2 or 3. The rest is message board myth.

8. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Seems you dont appreciate the great schematic advantages and blitz packages that coach K has brought with him. I know I dont and like you I really want a Dcoordinator who will push the other team around and win by being the most physical unit on the field every Saturday.

9. Horn2RunAgain

I looked up the 1996 roster,... 7 players from Texas including an Outland Trophy winner. I'd call that a difference maker

I can go back to 1978. Tom Sorley, Rick Berns, junior Miller (HS All American) etc. Six on the roster, all were recruited hard. They were essential (including the starting QB, TB and an all american TE), beat #1 ou then lost the rematch. I played against Berns, he was recruited by everybody that did not run the wishbone.

10. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Our front 7 on defense suck................no amount of coaching can make up for the sucktitude there............Mike Campbell, Leon Fuller, Tomey............it dont matter they couldn't coach this bunch any better..........this may the worst defense I have ever seen fielded by UT................218 yds rushing by KANSAS!

11. Horn2RunAgain

When they left they were a shadow of what they were when the merger came to be. No way you can compare the program status of 1996 and 2010

Now they're a shadow of what they were in 2010

12. I_Dont_Exist

Are you familiar with what "occasionally yes" means? You identified 4 players in a 19 year period. You think that proves me wrong? 0nly Junior Miller was really big-time coming out HS. Berns was very good not great. You should have mentioned Turner Gill and Kenny Walker.

13. Horn2RunAgain

What, you want me to go year to year? Then you look up the 1980s. They snared a lot of guys we wanted badly

Berns was heavily recruited.

14. I_Dont_Exist

No but more than 4 in 19 years would be more persuasive.

15. I_Dont_Exist

And I edited my post to include Turner Gill who's arguably the best player from TX they ever had.

16. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

You could say arguably the best college football player ever from Texas. I would not make that argument, but I would listen if someone else did as he does have one or two national championships and he was incredibly awesome in one of those games. Before correcting me, please notice the important word: college

17. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Game review:

Our Linebackers are the weakest unit on the team. Outside of Zero, not sure any should be on a CFB field. They are Longhorns. I support and care about them...not trying to bash for the sake of bashing. But they look real bad and are absolutely killing us. We do lack a good pass rush, but the secondary actually plays the pass tough pretty well for the most part (especially considering they play with no pass rush up front).
    Good LBs are vital to good defensive play..
    We get gashed on runs because LBs cant play gaps in the middle or seal edges and angles or stuff the line as it moves..And we get killed with short passes as our LB unit (outside if Zero again) is slloooww.
    And it is painfully obvious Demo does not trust them and he is trying to overcompensate.
    Watch the game again...those LBs were aweful last night...though I've been noticing it all year.
    (For the record at least on the run..one or to big run stuffers clogging up the line better would give them a split second more on those middle runs...but again they are slloooow, in addition to seemingly just not possessing necessary skills for this level.
    Someone may prove me wrong later...but not seeing it now.

(Worth mentioning Sark brought in two apparently talented possible fits there in Davis and Thornton only to quickly lose them to injury...might have made a difference)

• Like Like x 2
  18. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I think you forgot to mention that they are aweful at tackling even when they accidently hit the right hole, it usually still ends poorly unless they slow the opponent down enough where a person from the defensive backfield can help out

19. RainH2burntO

Oh man...right on...the tackling was absolutely atrocious last night. ..usually a sign of players that have checked out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RainH2burntO

I wasn't on here last night or for a couple days....Did anyone speculate about Keilens absence last night?
    Was he the video perpetrator lol?

21. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

Thought the exact same thing as it happened. And Gideon is his coach!

• Hot Hot x 1
  22. I_Dont_Exist

The Ketchum podcast said he was in covid protocol due.to contact tracing.

23. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Acceptance. Have I fallen into that category. Accepting the fact that this is the current state of Longhorn football? That it doesn’t hurt to lose?

Way too many in this current program have leaned this way. So what if we lose. It doesn’t hurt. It’s just another day. I still get room and board and a free education.

It’s time, past time in all actuality, to clear the roster of these freeloaders. Sarkisian and his staff know who the cancers are. Go on Git!

As for me, I’ll continue to support
    The University of Texas and bleed BurntOrange until the day I leave this world. Who knows, maybe beyond the grave.
    Acceptance? HELL NO!

• Like Like x 1
  24. RainH2burntO

I would say, too bad...we could have used him last night...
    But I guess he can't play dline or LB and I have no idea how his tackling skills are

25. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I would argue it is the OL. The OL is getting other players hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. RainH2burntO

I do not disagree they need to improve..and I assume you are referring mostly to the Bijan injury play and I agree...but in my view they have struggled still in the run but improved some on pass protection. They unfortunately gave up the two fumbles early last night, but steadied greatly the rest of the way and gave Casey time...granted against Kansas.
    But the LBs have stunk every game from start to finish and even against Kansas were terrible from start to finish, outside of Zero.
    Just my view.. I agree oline has struggled but at least has had some moments. I can't think of any for the LB group.

27. MeatHeadHorn

MeatHeadHorn 1,000+ Posts

A UH caliber O line and we don’t loose to OU and this season is totally different. The LBs are certainly an issue but wouldn’t have been as big a deal if the offense had not stalled in every second half and gotten RBs and Casey hurt. But maybe it’s a good thing to just expose everything now, rip off the bandaids and burn the under brush.

• Like Like x 1
  28. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Rock, chalk, horns down

It would be nearly impossible to fully comprehend the sheer embarrassment of Texas' 57-56 loss to Kansas on Saturday, but we'll try.
    Let's get some of the basics out of the way first.
    Kansas has the same number of wins over Texas since 2016 (2) as it does against every other Big 12 team combined.
    It was Kansas' first road win in Big 12 play since George W. Bush was president. The Jayhawks had dropped 56 straight true road games in conference, but Saturday was different.
    Texas has now lost five straight games, something it hadn't done since 1956.
    It was the second time in three years Kansas scored 48 or more against Texas. In the past decade, the Jayhawks had only hit that mark on three other occasions.
    Kansas was a 31-point underdog in this game. Since the FBS/FCS split in 1978, the Jayhawks were 0-100 in games when the opponent was favored by at least 24.

The winners (Michigan, Cincy) and losers (oh, Texas!) from a wild Week 11

• Hot Hot x 2
  29. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

which Robinson injury? He was hurt in the ISU game too due to DL being in the backfield at hand off. What about Thompson's hand?

Overshown is better at his position than any OL is at theirs. Brockermeyer plays with heart and limited ability. Can you name an OL that does the same except they all have limited ability. Cook is a hybrid LD S and palyed a pretty good game until injured.

Until this game, the defense has actually been pretty good at holding opponents to FGs rather tha TDs in the 1st half.

30. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

14 shouldn't be on the field

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1