Texas vs. Kansas: Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MajorRules00, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I agree with most of this. The LB unit needs much improvement. The edge/jack pass rushers are even worse. They’ve been anemic. We’ve got to generate pass rush from the edge and we don’t. Try some TEs there, some bigger backup LBs, shuffle some folks around, put in Roschon at Edge. Do something to generate a pass rush. Lousy pass rush = lousy defense in this league.

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Thanks?

:fiestanana:

3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Let’s agree that it’s both.

The OL is not good, but with that same OL, our offense has exploded at times this year, and not simply against Kansas. But indeed, last night Casey — with the subpar OL, the injured thumb, Bijan hurt, and backup receivers (except for all-world X-Man), we miraculously tied the game with 22 seconds left.

Sark insists that the O & D need to play complimentary football and I agree. If pressed — and asked to pick a unit that is “more responsible” for our failures, I would put it this way:

55% on the D
    45% on the O

Neither has been acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

If you look at all my posts...I have excluded Demo from all criticism of the LB room.

I see you were talking about Thompson's hand.
    I was talking...really upset for Bijan when the line leaked two guys into the backfield in a millisecond to tackle and -possibly seriously- injure him. Didn't look good ..we will see. He deserves better.

Really missing Okafor over there and have seen the drop since his departure in the RRR.

We still seem to disagree on which has been worse out of oline and LBs lately (and maybe overall) but I guess we can agree they both leave much to be desired.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

This^^^^^ is my point..
    We have at least seen flashes from the offense and oline
    I haven't seen many highs out of the LB unit at any time...again outside of 0.
    Though I agree the offense has left the defense hanging out to dry waay too frequently. I'm just comparing position groups here...
    Oh, whats the point...I guess its like comparing dog poo to cow poo.
    If still take the oline poo over the LB variety...especially last night that stuff was a hot mess.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We've got to get some OTs who can block the quick/fast edge rushers. Everyone we trot out to the OT position opposite Kerstetter's side has stunk the joint up. It's not just Karic, it's all of them we've tried out there. If a speed rusher can dominate one side of our OL on nearly every passing play, we've got problems. The other coaches watch film, they can exploit it, and they do.

C and OG play has not been terrible. C play has been downright good at times. And Angilau has mostly done ok. It's primarily our OT play (other than Kerstetter) that's getting our passing game killed, creamed, obliterated, demolished, and destroyed. An offense doesn't require 2 excellent, or even 2 good OTs. But you've got to have at least 2 decent and competent OTs. Both OTs on the field have to be able to handle the edge pass rush. Else, you'll be exploited.

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Casey can manage with crappy pass protection--he's had to. Hudson, not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

This is like debating whether broccoli or brussels sprouts causes the stinkier of farts.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  9. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am convinced that our players lack motivation and pride rather than talent though better talent would help.
    Its going to be a wholesale change for next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Interesting that Casey’s bad throws were all low (ok not counting the pic) when they used to be high. Sore thumb, or mentally trying to correct?

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

This post has been our sentiment since Kansas won its last Big XII road game. Now we can't even buy players with NIL deals. It's sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

At least we weren't the only ones having a bad game....

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

They play good and then they don’t.
    If they can play good for some of the game, they have the potential. Then it leads me to lack of depth and scheme and confidence.
    Depth I blame on coach for not going JUCO for LB’s and extending the game with hurry up offense,
    Defensive scheme -we should of stacked the box and not allowed us to get gouged on the run. That’s demoralizing.
    Confidence I blame on Coach as well -fix it
    These are the same people that dominated LALa, Tech, and most of the OSU and OU game. If OU doesn’t happen then maybe we are 8-2.

14. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

:whiteflag:or hard boiled eggs chased with Miller Beer............stinky