Texas vs Kansas

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

It could be worse honestly. Baylors downfall right now makes me feel better but right now we’re playing exactly how they are. Vic is going to go into the postgame conference and say it’s because we are young and inexperienced but the way we played tonight is much more than that. We drive to the basket with no purpose and throw up an awful shot or turn it over. Our zone offense once again is horrible and gosh our free throw shooting is unwatchable.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Shay need some of those minutes

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ball2Ball

Ball2Ball < 25 Posts

I sure don’t think Aston’s team lost to Texas Tech and Kansas @ home

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Two thoughts:
    1. Where were we this time last year? We have 8 new players.
    2. Why isn't Shay getting more minutes?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Shay deserves more playing time. We needed that aggressive play desperately tonight

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Our press is a joke. One turnover in 40 minutes on a questionable charge but you don't adjust or get out of it.

Our defense is repeatedly getting beat on dribble drive penetration and back door cuts...no adjustments.

Our offense has no idea what the f they are doing.

I'd say it's not worth risking Covid to go to anymore games but you're not even within 6 feet of anyone with the paltry attendance, so I guess I'll just have to admit there are better things to do (like watching paint dry).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Got home and said same thing. The team is boring to watch, refs continue their mission to ruin women’s basketball, the crowd is pathetic and there’s zero energy in the arena - or entertainment value. For all the effort it takes to get there and park I’d rather put on my pajamas and watch it on TV. At least you can change the channel when the product is so hard to watch.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Looks like it's going to be a long season. It's disappointing that they're struggling with the conference being as wide open as it's been in years. Vic has to do something to try to right the ship.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

That's what I don't understand in terms of attendance. Why isn't the school trying to do more to boost the attendance. The men's team has done that and it's not like they're that entertaining to watch. But with the team playing poorly, I understand why that's not the focus right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Offensive production. Both teams had 23 turnovers. We had 6 more fouls but we also had 6 more rebounds. It will continue to be hard to win games when we are unable to shoot better than 40%. There is plenty of time to fix this…

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

This one is a head scratcher

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Texas could have won this game by simply cutting all those careless turnovers in half at a minimum. At least they could hit some shots unlike against Tech. I was supposed to be at the game tonight but decided not to go. I think I’m glad if there’s anything to be glad about, but it saved me the round trip from Dallas.

I’m going to the game Saturday and not sure when I’ll go next. I have a hotel reserved in KC for the Conference tournament but have not bought tickets yet…thankfully… I think. That’s a pretty big expense to go witness a one and done.
    It’s very early and the conference apparently is wide open so we shall see.
    I’ve said it here before but Texas overachieved last year and I never felt this year would live up to the expectations but eventually it will. It’s just going to take a minute I have faith in Vic still

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Agree on the turnovers. They are driving me nuts!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I like Vic's personality, but I have doubts about his vaunted system. A full court press is a good tactic if you are wildly athletic and the other team isn't. But not the case in every game. Probably not the case in any Big 12 games this year. When the team puts out so much effort in the press and doesn't get back, you see what happens. They had a lot of easy transition points when we were still trying to run up the court.

Same thing with the overplaying, hard pressure defense in the backcourt. If it is getting turnovers, great, but when it is exposing us to backdoors and drives to the basket, not such a good idea. It's weird that Texas has never had a coach who didn't have this very same basic defensive philosophy -- from Jody on down through Karen and now Vic. When it is working, it's great, but when it isn't, go to something else. These kids are smart enough to learn different ways to play within the same game.

It seems like the first of the year was a big head fake. Stanford wasn't ready for us at all and shot terribly. But now these Big 12 coaches are dug in and know just what to do. We have some good players, but it looks like the whole Big 12 has some good players. I like all our players, but Rori is not the savior it looked like she was going to be at first. Matharu doesn't get that many minutes, sometimes because of foul trouble, sometimes I don't know why. Our inside players have some nice skills, but not great. To bad Moore isn't 4 inches taller, or Gaston. On the bright side, Jo had a great night tonight, but one player isn't enough. Warren had her toughest night ever. I continue to wonder about the mysterious Kyndall --- the player who made 27 points in 14 minutes and then basically was never seen again.

On top of everything else, how is this team going to get its confidence back? Vic has a seriously hard job ahead of him.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  15. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

You can shoot that % if your defense is really good. Kansas basically shot 50% from the field. So it's a combination of bad offense and defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Just like with the previous coach. If you're going to play that kind of a style you have to be ultra athletic and or have a shot blocker/rim protector like Imani or McGowan. The truth of the matter is that Kansas' guards are just as if not more athletic. Texas plays a really good Kansas State team next that we all know plays zone. It's going to be a long season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  17. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Was she on the bench?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Front court was more athletic not back court. I agree about Kstate.

19. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Matharu our best player doesn’t even start??? Explain that to me... Vic is steadfast in starting Warren. Sorry, but Warren’s flailing and flopping has gotten old. Shay Holle deserves way more playing time. Hunter as well..... We are pretty awful offensively right now. Give Holle and Hunter more minutes and go with your youth.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Warren needs to be a 'spark' player off the bench and not a 25-30 minute starter. Get Matharu, Holle and Hunter into the game. Audrey's defense drops considerably against quicker guards and wings.

Also bench Ebo - her 6 points do not offset what she costs in bringing the overall speed and mobility down. She can't elevate to block shots and doesn't have the athleticism to get to rebounds that don't fall off the glass to her or play help defense. Teams have been successful with 'stout', slower posts but they were good to great rebounders and could score (e.g. Courtney Paris, Chantel Osahor). I'd rather see Latasha and Femme in this season taking their lumps and getting better for next season than more of this.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Agree 100%... Ebo slows down everything as does Warren. Warren needs to come off the bench. You could just see Matharus frustration with her role. Vic grabs her off the bench when he needs her to save the day, but doesn’t start her. She did it again last night hitting a three to send it to overtime. This team is lost right now and a big part if that is Vic and his insistence on starting and continuing to play those who are not producing. He’s a great coach and hopefully figures this out.....

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

And it is often our older players who repeatedly do this.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

This week’s Game Plan with Vic Schaefer on LHN addressed Matharu coming off the bench in which both she and coach discussed that topic

24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yep, and what is said in front of a camera doesn't necessarily represent true feelings.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

We keep hearing about putting butts in seats at the FEC and building attendance momentum for the new Moody Center. If anything IS going to do that, it certainly WON'T be the product we've been putting on the floor as of late.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  26. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

And what is posted on this board means even less so I guess we’re stuck not knowing. Or maybe we can take the coaches and players at face value :idk:

• Like Like x 2
  27. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Yes

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We were very inconsistent last year. Split with Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. Got swept by Baylor and West Virginia. Lost a total of 10 games. And yet finished strong. I’ll take my chances with Vic.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  29. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Take it for however you interpret it. That's about all we can do. I'm just saying... "IF" a player is unhappy in their role they aren't going to get on TV with the coach and say so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Not sure anybody on this board is saying otherwise simply because they disagree with or don't understand some of his decisions.

• Agree Agree x 3