TEXAS vs kstate

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

When you go to Manhatten, you take a W any way you can get it. I have no complaints except against the Big 12 refs who continue to screw us.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

We scored 10 points on offense.
    If we play like this OU will mudhole us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

I was unable to watch the game but I just read the box score and KSU had 0 penalties? Really? 0?

4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I am ecstatic we won. I am disappointed big time in what was so clearly revealed. No surprises to any hornfan following the team's performance this year.
    When our offense is facing a tough, smart defense its going to struggle.
    When we need to score, and we are facing a tough D, they will load the run, put pressure on Sam, and force him to put the ball where it has to be. Sam hasn't shown he can do it consistently. Luckily, we haven't faced a great offense that puts the pressure on our team yet.
    We will against ou. I'm afraid our team's most glaring weakness will be fully exposed. We will have a very tough time winning a high scoring shootout.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Actually KSU had a penalty but so did we on the same play so they offset. Turned out to be a very helpful call. We would have had pass interference in the end zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I think KSU has typically been very good about that under Snyder.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Now that the emotions are died down, I can say I'm less concerned than I was. Texas CLEARLY had decided at halftime that they were going to go into hold-on mode, and they played like it. I don't think that was the right call, but it worked out. The defense took a couple of punches and then came back - it's hard to start playing a totally different gameplan at halftime.

Kris Boyd was absolutely terrible today. Charles O showed up in a big way and Hager finally made a play. I think the team will definitely play with a different attitude next week, so I don't think you can look at this and say "if we play like that next week..." because the mentality and the approach will be totally different.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Michigan's offense looks familiar

9. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Maybe so but not to have any penalties at all? I'm not sure I've ever heard of that before. We had 10 for over 100 yards so that makes it even harder to win when you lose the penalty battle that badly....

10. Phil Elliott

They averaged about 5 penalties per game coming into today.

IMO 0-10 is unreasonable and shows the bias of the B12 refs.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Take the W and be very happy.

I tried to tell everyone this was a classic trap game. The week before blOwU, two straight wins over top 20 opponents, and ranked in top 20 for first time in forever. It had all the makings of a Texas loss, and frankly, last years team would have lost this game.

I should also give huge props to Sam for continuing his excellent play. This was a hard fought win and a win where guys weren't up for the game. It showed they could win a game with business like preparation.

Next week is the big one, and I'm excited to get a true measure of where this team is.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

About all the penalties: don't we have paid “analysts” or something who might be documenting things like this so that a plan can be made to address them?

I mean a couple errors here and there is one thing but today it was just stupid all over the place. Moving before the snap drives me nuts. Do you know the f**king snap count? Wait for that

13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

AB:hookem:
    TH said it was an ugly win BUT it is a W

14. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

Which I will take every time...

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Dion
    TH addressed that and apparently there is someone who analyzes this and TH wants to figure out how to get calls on our WRs

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Phil,

Just wanted to make sure you are aware that Mike Defee was assigned by Wall-eye Burke to do the Sam Houston/Central Arkansas game today.

While Mike and Cooper are our best, they are saddled with ******** crew members like Fleming, last week's side judge.

Sam is where Walt Anderson played, so he still has his hand in the cluster f**k known as Big XII officials. He is the one that hand picked Wall-eye as his replacement, demonstrating once again that Bowelsby has NO CLUE and NO BALLS.

17. Phil Elliott

0-10 is not blind. That is biased. Texas has never gotten a fair shake from B12 officials IMO, but they dont even try to hide it anymore.

18. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

This is a game Texas loses last year and every year under Charlie. A win in Manhattan is a big win no matter what. That last drive was so clutch, get ball with six minutes left and be taking a knee that is huge.:bevo:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I actually thought we could have had a few more thrown on us (crackback against Beck), but it's just weird that KSU doesn't get one. They were pretty soft covering our receivers, so it wouldn't have occurred there, but in the trench? You have to think that there was at least one hands-to-the-face or holding call missed.

20. Phil Elliott

Their o-linemen were moving their heads and their feet all game long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Phil,

Follow the bouncing ball:

Deloss takes pity of Donnie Duncan, who is unemployed, and gives Duncan the job as Director of Football for the new Big XII. Dr Boren and I both warned Deloss that this would backfire on him, and Duncan would embarrass him and the conference. No, neither of us is clairvoyant, we both know who and what Duncan was. I defer to Duncan's departure from the Big XII.

Duncan hires Walt Anderson, dentist from Sugar Land as head of Big XII officials, overriding the requests of most schools for the job to be given to Ken Faulkner. I shall not speculate why Duncan chose Anderson, but something about "birds of a feather".

Anderson immediately sets out to jettison most SWC/Big 8 officials, with many of the really good ones fleeing to the SEC. At that point, Anderson enters into an agreement with the BigSky/MWC/WAC to share officials with the Big XII and sometimes the Southland. Thus,we are the only Power 5 sharing officials with "minor leagues".

Take it a step farther as to some of our new officials - again remember Anderson is a dentist. Our new slate of officials include:

A dentist from California, who isn't wanted for HS playoffs in that state

A dentist from Colorado, who is not respected by that state's HS coaches. FWIW, his first big time game was the 45-35 Texas/OU game. Can you imagine assigning a novice to the biggest game of the season?

Then we have a medical software salesman from the MidWest. and a resident of Philadelphia that is so pathetic that Pennsylvania won't let him officiate where he lives, causing him to flee to the BigSky.

Lastly, a couple of years ago enter the CFO of an Atlanta firm specializing in medical and dental financing.

I am sure these examples are purely coinciDENTAL

• Like Like x 4
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Mack Brown too
    He was 1-4 in Manhattan
    And 3-7 against them overall

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Disappointed in 2nd half offense, but proud we got a win. Kudos to Herman and the team.:hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  24. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

And just to top today off......on this day in 1984.....we were at the Meadowlands!

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This game was only the 3rd FBS game since 2000 in which one team was called for 100+ yards in penalties and its opponent had 0.

26. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Watched all the game. Most of those calls were the right calls. We played sloppy and it showed up in yellow hankies. Don't want them, how about not hitting guys late, not grabbing face masks, not getting beat and grabbing receivers. What was really bad on the officials 2x KSU moved early and neither time did they throw a flag. How the hell do you miss illegal procedure. I mean what else are they looking at? The penalties cost continuity on O and extended drives on D. We got lucky they didn't score at the half or doubtful we win. That last drive before half was an abomination. Also running backwards for 20 yds. This is not HS junior. We are our own worst enemies. Stop the easy mistakes and we win by 3 scores today. It's hard to maintain drives when you have that many penalties.

• Agree Agree x 4
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He has had more bad snaps than good snaps all year. At least we know where ou will concentrate. Any string of sleepless nights for Orlando.

28. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Well, I will take our receivers against their D backs. Their D backs cannot cover our big time receivers as well as Boyd will cover their receivers.

The problem is that their receivers have a legit passer putting the ball in their hands on deep throws a high percentage of the time. This is the big issue.

Boyd is good enough. Every D back will get beat occasionally. Boyd is put on the opponents best receiver most of the time. OU is going to score. More than 20. Probably more than 30.

Can we score more than 30 against ou? That is the question. The outcome is not on Boyd.
    I don't care if Mike Huff was back there

We have to score. In bunches to whip the gooners.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Dawg,

Thank you. I have that game ball in my collection. TexasExes auctioned it off at the Texas Independence Day Auction in Houston. It was my "consolation prize" after trying to buy the family trip to DC on Tenneco's jet, with private tour o the White House with James Baker, meetings with VP Bush & Senator Gramm, along with other goodies. I couldn't see whom I was bidding against, but a young lady came to my table to inform me I was bidding against Denton Cooley, and I was told, "his pockets are much deeper than yours". He wound up paying north of $30,000.

Jim Duke was sitting at my table, and I'll never forget his comment, "Can't stand all this damn orange, but you T-sips sure sell some great art". Much to Betty's dismay, I think Jim dropped between $15-20,000 that night.

30. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The play calling was much better in that last drive. It got creative again. A new wrinkle was the fake swing pass, Sam keeps it and runs up the middle, where the linebackers have vacated to cover the swinging running back.
    Both times they called it Sam picked up good yards keeping the drive alive. Also Collin made a fine diving catch for a first down. Nice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018