TEXAS vs kstate

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Well it is not every year under Mack Brown since he won one in Manhattan 17-14 (against a K-State team that finished 11-2 and ranked #6) very similarly to today which is why the original post made sense....

2. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

When I realized there were no penalties, I started rewinding and rewatching Kansas State offensive plays. Kansas State held a lot. More than a few holds were extremely blatant. In fact, when they realized they were not going to get called, their holds got more and more blatant in the second half and were a massive factor in their second half offensive success. While the other QB may have been better, I am not sure that helped the Kansas State offense as much as realizing they could hold at will and not be called. Their left guard had to do it every other play in the second half. The refs definitely saw it. I am amazed that they did not call it a single time making their bias glaringly obvious.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Murphy Horn

Murphy Horn < 25 Posts

Good points, but we are 4-1 and greatly improved from last year. RB should be fine with Ingram. QB play is better. At least when he is inaccurate he throws away from defense as well as our receiver. OC still a problem. I think QB matches our program right now. He can get us to 8-9 wins including a few big wins. He is not championship caliber with his misses. But he can get us to the level below playoff teams IMHO. By the time the rest of the team is championship caliber we'll have new QB. Ingram is pretty decent back though. He can get it done.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The question raised was whether Mack Brown would have lost this game today. Statistics establish that he lost 3 out of every 4 there so the odds are he probably would have.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

@SabreHorn

It seemed we fell completely apart when Jamison ran backwards (reminiscent of Bob Lilly's 29 yard sack of Bob Griese in the 1971 Super Bowl. In your experience, is momentum truly a factor in a game? Can one play really turn it around so dramatically that a clearly superior team finds itself unable to get out of it's own way?

• Like Like x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I can't begin to explain it, but yes, one play can lead to a mudslide that nothing seems to be able to stop.

While a poor analogy to bigtime college football, the best and most inexplicable example I've ever experienced was a Babe Ruth League All Star game. Game is seven innings, 13-0 lead with pitcher having a perfect game with two outs in the bottom of 7th. Pitcher gives up a walk and a single. Coach pulls him, Team falls apart, making every mistake a team can possibly make. and loses 14-13.

In football, it can be a blown call, missed tackle, fumble, bad pass, and all goes to hell - nothing can stop the slide. See also Oklahoma State & Miles in Memorial Stadium.

I watched the infamous Cooper/Reagan State Championship game, and still don't know how a clearly superior Cooper team lost after having a three touchdown lead at the half.

Personal opinion is that the team sliding isn't mentally prepared, but who knows as situations differ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I thought it impacted the coaches. I asked this question on another thread but we called fair catch (taking the ball on the 25) on at least two kick-offs. I was thinking it was a poor message to the team. Fear-based coaching; not knowing what to do so eliminating mistakes became the sole focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I believe the fair catches were inside the five yard line. With the new rule this year I think a lot of teams will be doing it. I wold think that the odds of reaching the 25 from inside the five are not 50 - 50. Of course you give up the occasional long run.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Read in the morning paper that Mack warned TH that the team you see on film and the team you see in Bill Snyder Family Stadium will be totally different. He said they’d be much more physical.
    As if to prove his point, Apparently there was some pregame altercation involving Andrew Beck and several Wildcats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Sabre, you have some cool stories. Every day at about 10 pm can you post a story so I can read it before bed. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I got the math wrong. Mack actually lost 4 out of every 5 in Manhattan, not 3 of 4 as I wrote last night (perhaps while enjoying an adult beverage of my choice). So he would have had an 80% chance of losing yesterday, not just 75%. Sorry about that. I must have misread my slide rule.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That always seemed to be the case. Their entire program got focused and prepared for us -- coaches, players, admin, fans - it seemed like every single person in that part of the state. They never feared us.

13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

To my admittedly untrained eye, it seemed as though KSU ran an offense starting late in the first half that we were unprepared to stop. Of course, their staff deserves quite a bit of credit.

While I generally like the blitz packages, because their offense was so well prepped to pick up rushers from every angle (and it was a thing of beauty for purists), I believe that Orlando should have taken a different approach. We didn’t, # 10 had time, and he found the uncovered receivers partially because the numbers were in his favor. The ineffective blitzes also helped them in the run game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

And yet I would not be surprised if the mildcats have a post-UT loss hangover and drop their away game at Baylor.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

What I see in our blitz scheming is complete failure. Either Orlando should stop entirely or hire someone just for that. We get beat 3 times out of 4 and on the 4th time we still do not get the sack. And not just last game. I’m talking this entire season. Blitzing has not been a positive thing for our defense. It’s like the opponent ‘knows’ who and where every time. Watch on replay.

16. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I do agree with this overall. I will say yesterday looked especially bad due to blatant holding by Kansas State when we would break through.

While our pressure still would have been bad, the refs allowing blatant holding made it look completely inept yesterday.

17. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

Someone should post clips of the game with blatant holds. Just curious - I do agree it’s really strange they had 0 penalties.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I did not even notice
    Did yall?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Not only is that a small sample size, but the 1998-2003 Kansas State teams were completely different animals. Those teams would most likely beat the 2018 KSU edition something along the lines of 37-0.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

No.
    Was he on special teams?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

He made a tackle on special teams think

22. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

so Beck beat up 8 guys by himself? I sense a Chuck Norris reference coming.....

23. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Mack Brown's teams were usually not considered tough guy teams. K-State pushed his teams around and OU giggled while they beat up Texas in Dallas......

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

They weren't, but we consistently overcame deficits and played better down the stretch much much more often we gave away leads. So either we were more physically tough, more mentally tough, or better conditioned, than most opponents.

Funny thing is that one probably shouldn't have been called. Their WR didn't really push off, he basically just incidentally tapped our guy on the shoulder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

D’Shawn Jamison named Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Focus on his helmet

28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

At that point he is a RB and not considered a defenseless player.
    Sam kind of blocks the view here.
    He could be hitting him near the shoulder.
    Need to see in slomo.
    I paused right at the hit and I think it's below the helmet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Simple. It was a Texas player getting hit instead of the other way around. If a UT player makes the hit, it is automatically targeting.

• Like Like x 1
  30. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I think it was 79 or 80, but one of the years I was in school. OU was up 14-0 at half. We came back and won 34-14. That is momentum to the highest degree I've seen. It was the loudest I've ever heard the Cotton Bowl with all the OU seats empty late in the 4th quarter. All the "OU Sucks" just bounced off all the empty seats and concrete. Still my favorite Texas game I've seen in person.