Texas vs. KSU

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Horns11, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Guess no one cares because there's like 4 minutes left in the game and no one started a post about it.

Typical poor shooting, but at least the poor shooting is from both teams this game and not just Texas. Every G not named Taylor is a combined 5-22. I think I've said "let that sink in" every time I've had one of these posts, but there's no further need for letting that sink in. If you're going to coach major men's college basketball, and honestly look a press conference in the eyes and say "we're going to shoot better," and this is what you put on the floor two days after shooting poorly, then you're missing something. My guess is it's the personnel, but this seems to happen all too often for us. Guards shouldn't be jacking up two-point FGs at the rate of 25 percent or worse. I think some of these kids get so used to the defenseless, fundamental-lacking AAU style of play that they just assume there won't be hands in their faces once they get to college. The best coaches get that stuff out of their systems.

Felix finally hits a big three (he's 2-7 on the night) as I type. Guess I'm good luck.

Ibeh and Cleare have combined for 1.000 FG percentage, 11 points, 12 boards. They're going to need to continue that (and more) if we're going to be competitive.

Freshmen have been worthless. Especially Roach.

• Like Like x 2
  2. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Tex 16-23 FT's. That's an improvement.

3. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Nice win vs a scrappy KSt. Team.:bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Agree totally. ksu is not a bad team. Our team is wounded, but playing tough. Felix, Taylor and Lammert came up big in the final minutes. :hookem2::hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Freshman is a synonym for inconsistency.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

I was watching the game, so I cared and I'm here now.

It was a tough and physical game. Texas played some good defense in the end. KSU got some breaks down the stretch, the dead on bank of a three pointer kept it a nail biter to the end.

Taylor missed some free throws also that kept the Horns from putting it away without the stress.

Texas was in control in the first half, till Taylor went out with three fouls. That allowed KSU to go on a run that put them in the lead and it stayed that way till the last five minutes of the game, when Felix and Lammert nailed the key three balls.

A good win in a game you had to get a W. Texas will have to scratch and fight in every game.

• Like Like x 3
  7. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

KSU doesn't defend the paint real well. But they both looked comfortable. Good minutes from them. But need more minutes more minutes more minutes.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  8. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

If Ibeh could even hit 50% of his free throws, it would help his offensive game.

It almost looked like he was trying to bank in those last two free throw attempts. He made one of them.

Cleare just needs to stop being so tentative and show more aggression down low. It's like he is waiting for the defense to block his shot at times, instead of just going up strong.

He also needs to look for the kick out when the defense collapses on him.

9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

They were aggressive and fought to the end.
    Good win.

10. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I watched. Good win.

11. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Any win is a good win - and considering the three minutes or so at the end of the half, which were as bad as we've played all year, it was good to see them fight back and get it. They absolutely could not lose this game, and they made the plays they had to make.

It was a little encouraging that K State refused to let Taylor be a one-man team, and he at least got enough help to get the win. At some point, they have to figure out how to create a consistent offense inside the paint. Maybe it's strictly drive and dish, and that's all this team can consistently do, but that's at least something.

12. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

True. And if he would develop a shot he could hit at 50% from two feet, seriously one to two feet, he would be a real offensive asset.

• Like Like x 1
  13. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

Very tough, but hard fought and resilient win. If this team is going to compete in the Big 12 this year, they'll need to create some sort of offense inside with Cleare, Ibeh and Lammert.

There were a lot of 3 point shots taken and a lot of outside shots, which is fine because Texas came out on top, despite being behind most of the second half after a real tough closing to the first half. However, I hope it doesn't make Texas too one-dimensional on the offensive side where teams can bury them early.

All of the next three games (@TCU, Iowa State, Oklahoma State) are very winnable games. If Texas could just go 2-1 in those, and start conference with a strong 3-2 first five games, that'd be big for this team. Having lost four non-conference games means that a losing record in conference play this year isn't going to hack it for getting into the dance like it did last year.

Edit: Apparently "@TCU" has been a member since 06? haha

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Maybe they go back and retroactively add membership the way schools like Alabama retroactively add football titles...

15. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

There was one play that really stood out to me, when Shaq got great position in the paint and basically cleared out about five feet of empty floor between him and the basket, got a great entry pass that took him right to the hole for an easy layup.

He has some ability but he has to be consistent with it and the guys have to get him the ball. It was easier against K State because they're so good on the perimeter and probably focused on it because they knew we weren't going to do anything inside. I'm definitely worried about us becoming a donut offense against the likes of Kansas and OU. For Ibeh and Shaq it's going to be about offensive put-backs and getting in position to convert assists in the paint when the guards drive (which they need to be doing a lot).

16. harry_horns

harry_horns 250+ Posts

This version works too

• Like Like x 1
  17. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The OOC wins over Washington, UNC, Stanford, and yes UTA are not too shabby.

The losses weren't exactly bad ones either.

Being #22 in RPI and having the #1 stength of schedule will certainly help for a tourney bid. With the remaining schedule, that shouldn't decline much, if at all.

NCAA College Basketball RPI Rankings - ESPN

Considering these factors, Texas still can't just crater in Big 12 play. The strength of this conference should certainly help and if Ridley did come back in March, that would be taken into consideration too.

It's not going to be easy to get in the tourney. A good run in the Big 12 Tournament, may be the only way, if Texas goes say 8-10 in the conference season. They do have a good shot at that, if Ridley comes back.

Texas has to take advantage of the new foul rules like their opposition has. The guards going strong to the hoop, should become a big part of our offense.

Roach, Mack, and Davis have to become better free throw shooters. You can't have your guards not shooting free throws well.

They need to take advantage of these ticky tacky foul calls like Taylor and Felix do. Look for contact and rack up the fouls and free throws and make most of them too.

The kick out passes will open up and give better three point shots, if the defense collapses.

• Like Like x 1
  18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

OMG, that was hard to watch. The freshmen were on the floor: Davis, Mack and Roach (I think) and they were dominated and intimidated by the ksu defensive pressure. I don't think shaka put the three of them together on the court at the same time the rest of the game.