Texas vs LA TECH

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by TexasGolf, Nov 10, 2010.

1. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

anyone else watching?

This Texas team looks a little more well rounded this year. We'll see how they react to better competition in the near future.

Lots of depth on this team, but we will see what the size match ups will bring this year.

I really like what I see out of Joseph and Thompson. Hamilton seems to be putting up less junk and trying to take it to the hole.

2. muschyD

muschyD 250+ Posts

The offense doesn't consist of guys standing around anymore. It's really amazing how simply making cuts and moving the ball around can open up the offense. Thompson looks like he is going to be really good. Hamilton has really impressed me with his maturity and growth that he went through in the offseason. Johnson finally doesn't look spastic on offense, and I finally understand why Matt Hill is a Longhorn. I look forward to seeing the Horns play Illinois next Thursday.

3. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Thompson is as advertised. Offense is much smoother and free throw shooting tonight is a pleasant surprise. Biggest concern appears to be the interior defense.

4. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

that will be a good match up vs IL. to see where this team is and how the size & rotation matches up.

5. ToxicShock

ToxicShock 100+ Posts

This team already seems to have a little better chemistry than last year. I thought J'covan played well yesterday, many nice assists. Feel a little more comfortable with our guard rotation this year with Balbay, Brown, Lucas running the point fairly well tonite.

6. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Thoughts/observations:

Our boys looked good tonight, but I got the impression that Louisiana Tech is terrible.

I agree with Toxic regarding chemistry. We're only two games into the season, but the players appear to be more cohesive than the past two seasons' teams.

I swear, Tristan could be LaMarcus' younger brother. Their games and gaits are very similar, too.

Wish our guards would hit their open threes. But that problem is nothing new.

It seems the subtleties of college basketball are still way beyond Matt and Alexi, and that's a shame because we desperately need some quality length.

Hope Dogus keeps attacking the rim.

7. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

8. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

We seemed to protect the ball better....we appeared more deliberate and not as "out of control".

9. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

We looked better on offense. I like the progression Jordan Hamilton has made. He will be much, much better this year than last year.

Our defense this year will not be as good as last year when we were rolling. Last year when we stuck Avery Bradley and a pre-injury Dogus on the opposing players 1,2 we were really suffocating on D. Of course this was before the wheels fell off.

I don't think Corey Joseph will be the defender Bradley was. He does appear to have more confidence though and also seems to have better chemistry. I guess this is no surprise since he has played a great deal with Thompson. His free throw shooting appears to be better than Bradley.

JCB is still a work in progress. So much potential with this kid. He is by far the most creative passer on this team. He still plays with his emotions on his sleeve though. Barnes needs to find a way to harness that energy and make it positive. If so, it could mean the difference between a 2 and done in the tourney and a Final Four run.

Overall I will reserve judgment for this team until conference play is in full swing. We'll see if Barnes can find the right balance between coaching these kids hard and destroying their confidence.

10. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

also thought Lucas looked much better