Texas vs Maryland Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Sep 1, 2018.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

^^^^THIS! :bow:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

My point and I'll say it again. If you are going to go with Sam, you have to run him. 3rd and 2 you don't throw to the flat. You put in a 300lb lineman and run Sam behind him. If a team wants to drop 9 in coverage you tell the OLine to count to 3, fire out and run Sam behind them for easy 10-15 yd runs. You can not play 8 on 11 which is what we were doing on that last drive . We had 3 OLineman not blocking a soul. That's just stupid football. Every team is going to rush 2 and drop 9 on any long yardage situation until we make them pay for it. Oh, and if you are going to throw into that coverage, you have to throw to Johnson on the boundary. Passes over the middle just aren't going to work with that many people in coverage.

• Like Like x 8
  3. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

We fired Fred for playing defense and not cheating.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Honestly, I think Mack Brown would have won at least 8 games the past 4 seasons and probably this season. If Herman does not turn it around and ends up with 5-7 wins this year, we would have been better off with Mack Brown winning 8-9 games a year through this season.

• Like Like x 3
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

This. I wondered why we weren't running the ball with only two defenders rushing and the other nine downfield. There was plenty of time.

And I know Sam said that second interception happened on a play he consciously made the decision to risk it, trying to make a play, basically no risk, no reward. But it was 3rd down, not fourth. Seemed like the better option with the intended receiver blanketed would have been to throw the ball away and play that last down. There was still over a minute left.

6. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Coach Mensa needs to stop sniffing his own butt and get something done.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

I don’t like this, but it unfortunately is true.

8. I_Dont_Exist

Our coach with access to recruiting the best in Texas needs to get his hands off his junk and win.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I_Dont_Exist

Reminds me of my dealings with the St.Marks Mafia as a freshman. Did you know Steve Miller and Boz Scaggs both went there? Just the kind of pretenious *** currently in charge.

10. I_Dont_Exist

Forgot to say all you St.Marks guys go screw yourself. I'm drunk on cheap bourbon..

• Like Like x 2
  11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wadster a lineman in front and one behind to push the pile the extra yard.

12. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Sure there is...he could have come out and started with "We have a coordinator who we have arranged for a vehicle to take to the airport and who will no longer be with the team. Beginning on Sunday, a search will commence for a competent Offensive Coordinator. Now...questions?"

• Like Like x 3
  13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Beck should have been gone at the end of last season.
    Herman should let him go and call the offense the rest of the year.
    Gives plenty of time to get a real, top notch OC.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

A series of posts here with pics, if anyone wants to see the mistakes
    Not a good look on our coaches -- our players were unprepared for the Maryland sets and were unable to adjust. Plus we had some true freshmen miscues

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  15. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

1st 24 points they scored was way too easy for a "Saint Orlando" defense........long haired golden boy (Hager) was getting blocked left and right or just plain outta position..........2 openers in a row that Orlando's defense has stunk up the joint.

• Like Like x 2
  16. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I still have more faith in Orlando and the defense than I do beck and the offense. Orlando and his guys settled in the 2nd half and he had a lot of inexperienced guys on the field.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Just to follow up on this from the live thread
    Cosmi did come in at RT and that is when the off-tackle runs began opening up

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One more defensive set -- we were outcoached

• Like Like x 1
  21. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Hopefully there are no Nebraska coordinators in the job market for the next head coach.

22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Good morning!

• Like Like x 2
  23. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

And the craptastic thing in all of this defensive ineptitude was the Maryland OC (Canada) was the guy LSU canned last year for having a bad offense but it sure owned golden boy Orlando...........where were the adjustments after that 1st drive?

• Like Like x 2
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Have a look at that series from the TFB guy
    He does not pull punches -- he may even be an ou guy -- but it doesnt matter -- he is more honest about the defense than the AAS

• Like Like x 1
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Dallas paper on the game (the people at the Houston paper are too stupid to quote) --

"WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Longhorns' 34-29 loss to Maryland on Saturday at FedEx Field was yet another chapter in the program's remarkable woes in recent years. All offseason and all preseason camp, Texas coach Tom Herman, his players and members of his coaching staff preached that Year 2 would be different than Year 1 for this regime -- that the culture was finally in place and that true development had taken root.

This 2018 version of Texas was supposed to be all grown up from the mistakes during last season. But in Saturday's loss, the Longhorns looked like the exact same team they were a year ago. A slow start to the game put Texas in a 24-7 hole in the first half. As they did in many games last season, the Longhorns battled back and even took a 29-24 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

And as Texas fans saw time and again last season, the Longhorns folded when the game was on the line, only this ending may have been even more jarring than the ones from the USC, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech losses last year. Trailing 34-29 late in the fourth quarter, the Longhorns' last three offensive possessions saw three turnovers -- interception, fumble, interception....."

National reaction: Tom Herman, Longhorns get taken to task over second straight loss to Maryland

26. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Reaction from 4* 2020 recruit Mookie Cooper makes me feel a lil better ...

• Like Like x 2
  27. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

If we come out and play just a modicum of defense the first 22 minutes or so we win yesterday offensive warts and all............they kept gashing us with the same formations and plays and I saw no adjustments by defensive staff.

28. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

So, I'm relatively new on this board, and I did go to St. Marks. Scaggs and Miller were years ahead of me, and I believe both were asked to leave. Apparently, for whatever reason, they didn't feel school was important to their future. Now, I've never heard the label "St. Marks Mafia". Can you tell to what, or who, this refers? Also, why all the animosity? Jack Daniels doesn't like them?

29. I_Dont_Exist

This refers to my roommate at freshman orientation and the next 3 people I met who went there telling me how special they were for having gone there. Seriously, it took them about 10 seconds to work they went to St. Mark's into the conversation. And Jack is reserved for special occasions. Like the head coach of my alma mater having a clue.

30. I_Dont_Exist

And excuse my public schooled *** for trying to be part of the group.