Texas vs Miss st 6 pm Sunday

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Ut forever, Jun 14, 2021.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Certainly, a pitcher throwing BB's has shut down many a lineup. The old say is Good pitching always beats good hitting. There is no disgrace here; only major disappointment. It was 2-1. Hopefully they'll quickly regroup.

2. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

Well, that was embarrassing.

Was it good pitching or bad hitting? The answer is yes. Bednar was hitting his spots (especially on that high fastball) and the Horns kept swinging under them. The hitters never forced him to change his approach and he continued to execute. If there is a bright side to the 21K's it is that 15 were swinging. At least they weren't going down looking like so many in the past.

Texas has their work cut out for them. They will have to win on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday to make it to the championship series. It can be done. CS Fullerton did it in 2004. Texas was, by far, the best team going into the CWS and steamrolled the field in Omaha to get to the Championship Series, but Fullerton came out of the loser's bracket and outplayed them there and deservedly won in 2. I can still remember that performance by Jason Windsor, who had thrown around 200 pitches in the 3 games combined leading up that series and threw another 100 against Texas.

Let's hope they can put this one behind them and focus on Tennessee. I keep going back and forth on who I'd like to see them play on Friday (if they are still going) - MSU or UVA. On paper it's the Hoo's, but I'd also like another shot at Bednar. He would probably start on Friday and I doubt he could do it again. :hookem:

3. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Not embarrassing!! Extemely great pitching. Very doubtful anyone could have beaten Bednar on that day! Umpire was very eractice and inconsistent
    ....zone was constantly changing!

Certainly expect them to bounce back but the road will be long.
    Who starts Tuesday?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

And yet LSU is at home along with 290 other Division 1 baseball teams and we're in Omaha. Sometimes a pitcher is just on and has our number.

5. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

We came damn close in 2014. After losing our first game, we won the next 3 and then lost a 4-3 heartbreaker to Vandy, who went on to win it all that year.

• Like Like x 2
  6. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

YES, and we own another CWS record! Most times stuck out in a 9 innings game!

Why dwell on an opening game loss where we burned our two best starters!

7. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

I hear you old65, and I’m as frustrated and disappointed as anyone, but at least I have the satisfaction of having watched most of our 47 wins this season (and it’s still not over). When folks just tune in for the last few games of a season (like many here do), most of the time they’re going to end up disappointed and bitter because they can’t put the losses in context and they have nothing else to hang their hats on.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Maybe it was the cameras, but did the strike zone appear to be pretty low and narrow?

Not to nitpick, but it seemed like our pitching at the edges seemed to miss, but their pitching below the knees got several Ks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

X,

Can't disagree with your assessment, but either way, it was an *** kicking of major proportions, and on national TV. I have said for several decades that bats frequently go dead in Omaha. It was a shame to waste a great pitching outing to lose because we love to look at third strikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

i hate the SEC. that is all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I recognize most of the posters and they have been around all season and I disagree with your "like many here do" and while I agree with your "disappointed", that is me, I strongly disagee with your "bitter". You say you have the satisfaction of watching 47 games this year, I have been watching since I attended games at Clark field and watched Jay Arnette run around and up Billy Goat hill and hold the batter to a double.

I am glad for the success of the team this year, I just hope for more and wish we had Pete to start against TN.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Winning game 1 is very important. My guess is Pierce thought they had a chance to win if they gave up no more runs. And they did with the homer and runners at the corners to end the game.

Nobody likes their team to get dominated by great pitching. We got dominated last night by a great pitcher last night, but still came close to winning. The story on ESPN today would have been, “Texas wins despite 21 strikeouts.” Now go out and beat the damn Volunteers. I’ve got a whole family of bets on the Horns.

13. Ut forever

Ut forever 25+ Posts

Like a earlier post said good pitching always beats good hitting… If you would of told me before the game Miss St would score two runs i would have taken it and thought it would allowed us a good chance to win…Sometimes great pitching along with a liberal strike zone puts more pressure on a team to perform especially when team and pitcher dominated you earlier in the yr.. I have said for years the number 1 thing in my opinion that needs more consistency in college baseball is umpiring behind the plate on ball and strikes… It can really control the game more than officiating should..

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I looked it up. Bednar did not pitch against us in February. It was MacLeod who started. We did face the same closer (forgot his name) tho.