Texas vs OK State

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BBV_Horn, Feb 20, 2008.

1. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Well, we got to get a shooter besides Ashley, who has been great on the inside....and she just scored her 14th point as the halftime buzzer sounded......

We trail by only 3 at the half, and have had a brief lead, but where is Raven ? Williams?

Come on, Texas....you CAN win this game!!

[​IMG]

2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Let's hope Brit continues to keep Riley MIA. I wish Kat would heat up.

3. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Well, the Nash sisters have 8 rebounds between them, but I am really disappointed in them driving right to the basket...

.....of course, Raven dripping blood from her nose all the way up the court and having no foul or time out called probably leaves Texas thinking there is some REAL home cookin' going on with the refs.....[​IMG]
    ....but, still, we need someone to STEP UP!!!

[​IMG]

4. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Ashley is shooting well...the rest of the team is currently 7 for 33. This team needs to spend their entire off season shooting, shooting, shooting...then practice shooting some more.

5. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

5:35 to go...it looks like another loss...

Just cold, cold, COLD shooting, just NO offense....

Outscored 12-6....so discouraging....and just HORRIBLE referreeing, just blatantly in favor of OSU.

I am just sick, this just sucks......

[​IMG]

6. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Not enough surge at the end - darn! This team has shown glimpses of good/great play. Hafta suck it up and go some more. It won't get any easier, hope we can win a couple more games!

7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

A season of snapshots makes a for a pretty photo album but skip the full movie...meaing we have 5 mintues of brilliance here and there (sometimes 20 minutes all together) but this team just cannot bring 40 solid minutes to the floor. It is the strangest thing. You can hear the frustration in Coach G as she talks about needing 40 minutes in every Big 12 game if you expect to win. How does this team lose its focus or -stranger still- where do we get the amazing focus and desire to win like we did in the last 3 minutes of play tonight. [​IMG]

Maybe an upset against the Ags is in store for us.

By the way, those of you that have given up on a tourney appearance, are giving up too soon. Because so many of our loses and wins have come against ranked teams, we still have a chance. We just have to win... which seems to be way easier said than done. [​IMG]

6 of our 8 loses have come against ranked teams...half against Top 10.

8. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

unless this team is able to win at least three of the next four and win at least one game in the big xii tournament, there's no way they'll be rewarded by not even making the so-called "20 win" mark and a losing conference record. i just don't see that happening, even with wins over quality teams.

9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Nope. They need two more wins. Two wins and we have a chance especially if the two are A&M and OU. Selection has a lot to do with who you play. And the committee will be inclined to give Coach G a nod.

Three and its pretty much a done deal especially if one of them is against the two mentioned above or Baylor in the Big 12 Tourney.

We really need the win against A&M this week.

10. Hornsaway

Hornsaway 25+ Posts

Don't be surprised if a couple of the players now starting are not starting next year. It will certainly be interesting. As much as Ashley Lindsey has improved, we still need a dominant physical player inside that will compliment her well.

11. VinceYoungScores

VinceYoungScores 100+ Posts

Well, obviously Ebay won't be part of the starting 5 next year...Carla won't be benched because...well, one would assume that we have to have a PG in the starting lineup, and I don't anticipate Fontenette or Anderson starting in front of Carla, at least not immediately.

I can't see Brittainey being benched, either. She and Carla both turn the ball over a lot, but Gail LOVES Brittainey and she fits the system perfectly.

Clearly Ashley isn't going to be benched, as one of our glaring weaknesses is our deficiency of competent post players.

I don't know about Earnie being benched, either. I don't think I feel strongly one way or another.

I think we see:

Carla
    Erika
    Brittainey
    Earnesia
    Ashley

I must admit...I NEVER thought Ashley Lindsey would be double-teamed in her career at Texas. I have always loved her speed and shot-blocking, and have had very high hopes for her, but her offensive transformation has been amazing.

12. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

13. Hornsaway

Hornsaway 25+ Posts

Well I respectfully disagree. Ashley Gayle will come in and while she may not start immediately, I would not be surprised if she was starting very very soon after arriving. Like I said, until we get some physical play in the paint, someone with a physical presence, we will continue to get eaten up inside. Oklahoma State had way too many easy baskets.

Hopefully, Gayle will make a big difference with her defensive prowess. Erika will definitely be starting as well.

Our guards (other than Carla) have shown a glaring weakness in their inability to handle the ball. Both Fontennette and Anderson are excellent ballhandlers and shooters so I could either getting playing time for sure.

Gail is going to reward production and the arrival of these players will definitely make it interesting.

14. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Whoever starts needs to have instant offense. I want to go to the Tourny like everyone else but some of these teams will eat us alive without any offense and this streaky ball that we play. I hope the freshman have a terrific campaign and can put points on the board, consistently 10 - 15 every night.

From espn article:The Link
    "Oklahoma State went on a 14-4 run that lasted more than 12 minutes. After Lindsey's basket, Texas missed 16 of its next 18 shots while falling behind 49-38."

It baffles me that they missed 16 of 18 - they made 11% of their shots. We need offense. Stop the defensive drills and make them shot every day all day long.

15. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

16. texfiter

texfiter 100+ Posts

17. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Oh well. I was hoping I would see this morning in the paper that we won.Its just such a lack of effort on our team, its very confusing, especially with the ranked recruits we have on the team.Actually not performing up to their potential at all.I can only see 2 players starting next year.The players you have coming in, will make the veterans bring their game or sit on the bench.This is how good these players are.The effort with the players we have, are not giving a 100 % on the floor.You want be able to do that next year. We have to get some wins in order to make the NCAA.I feel sorry for Carla and Ashley.Keep up the good work ladys.HELPS ON THE WAY.

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

There's no shame in losing close games on the road to Baylor and Oklahoma State. But then how do we nearly beat those teams and then lose to Tech and Colorado? If only we could have swapped the Baylor/Tech efforts and the Colorado/OSU efforts...that's 2 losses that become blowouts, but 2 other losses that become wins.

At least we finally figured out how to make outside shots at the end. Unfortunately we still haven't figured out how to have a good post game. Kat is doing a good job rebounding but she's a wing for a reason, we need her on the outside to open things up, Ashley is playing well but she's still got the high center of gravity and lack of mass working against her, Earnie is really a SF, and the rest of our true posts just provide us with extra fouls to use up.

19. VinceYoungScores

VinceYoungScores 100+ Posts

20. Hornsaway

Hornsaway 25+ Posts

Earnesia Williams and of course EBay. Those are the two with Ebay being an obvious. Until we have a dominant physical presence inside, teams will continue to exploit us resulting in easy baskets.

I could also see Fontennette and Anderson getting major playing time because both handle the ball very well and shoot it well.

This has had to be very rough for Carla. Neither Ebay or Raven have been anywhere near consistent from the outside or mid-range and neither handle the ball very well at all. When Carla was out, Raven struggled big time handling the ball.

Both of these new guards are excellent ballhandlers and shooters. It will certainly be interesting.

With Erika's return, that will lighten the load on the ballhandling Carla has to do and you will then have a wing that is a true shooter. This should open up the driving lanes more for Carla and it will obviously spread the floor.

21. caesarscott

caesarscott 100+ Posts

texas should try and gear up for a WNIT run. i'm sure nobody on here wants to hear that, but y'all have missed the last 2 NCAA tourneys. you need to get your players some post-season experience. even if it is in the rather un-prestigious WNIT.

i'm an admitted baylor fan. we were disappointed when we didnt get invited to the NCAA's in 2003. but we didnt look down on the WNIT, and made it all the way to the finals and probably should have won. sophia was a freshman that year and IMO, she and the core of the 05 group got valuable experience. they went to within .02 seconds of an Elite 8 in 04 and then won it all in 05.

22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Even if the Horns lose out, they will have a winning record and should get an WNIT bid which I hope they take if they don't make the NCAAs. They still have a chance but it's slim and losing weight rapidly. They need at least two wins and preferably three out of the last four games. That's means they will have to win at least once on the road. If they can protect the home court and provide at least one win against either KU or OU, they should get heavy consideration from the committee. Winning out would probably seal the deal.

Heck, all they have to do is win the Big 12 tournament and all questions about whether they are good enough won't matter. That's partly hopeful and wishiful thinking on my part, though.

23. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Accepting a WNIT bid won't happen. Not even worth discussing.

The difference between this year and last is that so many Big 12 Teams have remained in the top 25 (and Top 10) slots all season long. There is a very good chance that the Big 12 will send a record eight teams to the tourney and Texas could still be one of those. We just need two (and more likely three) wins, especially one or two big wins against A&M and/or OU.

If you think I am pulling this out of my a**, go check out the current bracket projections from some of the sport's more well known analysts.

24. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Tom, I disagree with you.Have you check out the RPI for the Big 12 Conference.At this point # 1 in the nation.Mid Majors will only get 1 bid.SMU have not beaten anyone ranked.UTEP will win their conference.But they have not played a ranked team either.The committee will look at Non-Conference schedule along with the ranked opponents you have played.This why the Big 12 will get 7 - 8 spots.We have played several ranked opponents.Plus our conference is loaded with ranked opponents.Not too many conference except the Big East have more or the same amount of teams ranked at this point! We do need at least a couple more wins and a good showing in the tourament.We have to be positive for the team, until the fat lady sings.She has not even put her dress on yet to perform.

25. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The number of teams a conference ought to get should be the determining factor; teams should get bids, not conferences. Obviously your conference record has something to do with how good your team is, but a team shouldn't make it in/out because "there are already enough [conference here] teams in"

26. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

27. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Well sure. OK fine then. We suck. We won't make the tournament. Let's not even tune in the rest of the season.

Is that better?

In fact, 8 teams from the Big 12 is not a stretch this year. If we get another 2 (preferrably 3) wins - especially wins against OU and A&M - we're in. But what the hell, let's just wallow in self-pity instead.

Good grief, have we've gone past the point of no return with this team? [​IMG]

28. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

I agree that a 6-10 record is not good enough to get a team into the big dance. I know that there has been talk of 8 Big 12 teams getting into the tournament but I think that it will be 6. It is just too hard to get into the tournament with a losing record in your conference, regardless of the strength of the conference. I cannot see the committee putting a team that is below .500 in conference play into the tournament.

29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Then you are not paying attention to the fact that 5 Big 12 Teams are ranked in the Top 25 and at times 6 and 7 have floated in and out. If the selection were only about win/loss records the torunament would be dominated by teams from weaker conferences. They look at record, strength of schedule, the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI), and a team's overall performance in recent games. The RPI rating is often considered a significant factor in selecting and seeding the final few teams in the tournament field.

I am not saying we're in... I'm just saying we are not out yet. HAve a little faith. It is very likely that two strong wins (preferrably more) puts us in play for the selection committee who will take into account that many of our losses have come against ranked opponents.

30. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

I think it's possible 7 Big 12 teams could make the tournament this year, but I have my doubts about 8.