Texas vs Oregon State-DBU Regional

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NBHorn7, May 29, 2015.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I wished they kept French out for another game.

2. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Great game. I had the feeling, when Skip made the decision to not let Mayes start the 8th....and get that 1st out.....that it could be very problematic. We had all the momentum at that point. Suddenly, OSU got a walk to the 1st batter, and all the momentum shifted back.

The positive news is the team gave a fantastic effort. Very proud of our team! I feel like that effort will continue and pay off in the next game. Did DBU hold their #1 pitcher for tomorrow's game? I think they may have.

And I'll dream about that catch by Gurwitz in the 7th! Quite amazing!!!! Of course, I'll have nightmares about not keeping Mayes in the game for at least the 1st out of the 8th inning......and our bumbling 2 bunt attempts in the 9th with a runner on 1st and no outs. Oh well. Perhaps tomorrow will be our day!
    Hook'Em

3. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse, but the fact Cantu (.253 BA, .313 SLG, .367 OB) rode the pine in favor of legacy boy KC (.204 BA, .204, .339 OB) in a hitter's park irks me to no end.

There was no marked difference in recent hotness to promote that mess going into the playoffs...Cantu was 2 for last 12 going in to yest, KC was 2 for 11. How about judging the season's production...

Cantu has 133 more AB's on the year and .049 better average, .109 better SLG, and .028 better OBP. But in the biggest game of the year to date we sit the much better hitter, and again watch KC whacking wildly and killing the order. Least Daddy's happy.

4. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Your trying to save Mayes, to be a starter, it's the problem of being short of so many arms due to injury. Even though they weren't sharp, the relievers gave up only one run, in three innings of work.

Bunting in the seventh and giving up an out, at that point is still strange to me, hard to give up an out down 4-1, at that point.

5. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

56 bells,

DBU did throw their normal Game 1 starter Joseph Shaw against VCU. He got rocked for 6 ER in 4.2 innings.

We should be facing the #2 Cory Taylor today.

Taylor is 6-1 with a 3.93 ERA and .297 opponent batting average. He pitched 71 innings with 62 strike outs and 28 BB's. Of note, he's served up 4 HR's...most of all DBU pitchers.

Clearly Taylor isn't overpowering or dominant. Nothing like what we saw from the OSU ace. We should be able to produce some decent runs if we swing the bats like yesterday.

6. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Thanks for the info on the starters for DBU. As for the start of the 8th, and not letting Mayes get that 1st out, then letting him turn it over to Bellow or whomever, that was the strategic mistake. Mayes getting that double play to end the 7th was huge, and he and the team were high as kites after that double play. One more batter, and we'd have kept the momentum, and he'd still be ready to start. Getting the first out of any inning, but esp. the 8th in that game, is so so important! And he and the team were so pumped after he entered and got that double-play.....Oh well, guess the adage "if wishes were horses" comes to mind.

Our failed bunt attempt in the 9th, player on 1st with no outs was a disaster. Neither of those bunt attempts was even close.

I've always found it interesting how all of us want the same results, yet we see things, often times, differently.
    I've always appreciated the dedication you have to the baseball team, as do I. And I'm so glad that I know you'll have answers to any question I might post to you on this site, NBHorn7. Thanks!