Texas vs OSU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Jan 2, 2018.

1. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Anyone else concerned about the OSU game? It won’t surprise me if the Cowgirls are a more formidable opponent than WVU. They always play us tough and this year I think they have one of their most talented rosters. Currently, OSU is 11-2 with their two losses being Tennessee and Mississippi State. Their best win was beating UCLA at home.

This year, they are lead at point guard by newcomer, Loryn Goodwin, the graduate transfer from UTSA. She is a difference maker who has a great all-round game. She can distribute the ball, drive to the hoop, has a good outside shot and is a great defender. Goodwin is 2nd in the B12 in scoring (22.2 ppg) and leads the B12 in steals (4.2pg).

Kaylee Jensen is also off to a great start; she leads the conference in rebounding (9.8pg) and is 8th in the B12 is scoring (15.6ppg). Freshman Braxton Miller, is also having a great year.

We’ve got to protect the ball and not have careless turnovers that plagued us in the WVU game. We will also have to play tenacious defense on Goodwin and limit Jensen’s offensive rebounding.

We’ve had a tough stretch since the FSU game. Hopefully we can maintain our intensity and focus and get a win on Wednesday night.

• Like Like x 2
  2. geewago

geewago 100+ Posts

OSU has been quite a surprise this year. Goodwin has taken them to another level. They came within a hair of beating MSST on their own court. I actually believe WV has a better team if and when they get their two injured starters back. But I am hearing that Martin will not be back until February. Without her they are just average. And knowing how slow foot problems are in healing she may not be back this year. OSU at home will be tough for anybody including both Baylor and Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I have always been more worried about this game than WV. They played a tougher non-conference schedule than WV and played some really good teams pretty close. When they played lesser opponents they ran up scores into the 90’s and a couple over 100. They legitimately earned their spot in the top 25 where WV seemed to have inherited it.

We have to bring our best game. Aston, thankfully, knows this. I got the sense she was more worried about this one as well. I hate to lose, but I think our loss to Tenn might have prepared us to win this one.

Let’s go Ladies. 40 minutes long. 40 minutes strong. Horns Up! :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

How did they look against Tennessee vs how we looked against them? Anyone see that game?

5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Interesting article about Goodwin. You would think she was a "typical" grad-school transfer. And her ties to Karen Aston are interesting as well:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...tate-cowgirls-loryn-goodwin-espnw-player-week

• Like Like x 1
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Final score 79-69. Like us, they let Tenn get out to an early lead. The Vols were up by 14 at the end of the 1st and then OSU played them close the rest of the game, outscoring them in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

This will be a tough opponent for us.

• Like Like x 2
  7. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Aston made some interesting comments during the WVU postgame, she is really worried about the OSU game and I think that is a good thing because that means she will not allow the team look past them with their eye toward 1/15.

• Like Like x 1
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

OSU is a very good team. This could be a barn-burner.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Texas has to rebound and play good defense.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Coach Aston's thoughts on OSU....

11. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Oklahoma State scares me. Based on their record, they should be ranked higher than they are. I watched them thrash UCLA and come very close against Miss. St; and they were impressive. Nobody could stop Loryn Goodwin.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yep. Goodwin is very good at getting to the free throw line. This may be a game were Coach Aston might use some zone. Goodwin is a big bully guard and is going to be tough to guard. Again, Texas has to rebound and play good defense.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ariel and Lashann will have their hands full. If anything, Goodwin’s success at every step of the way speaks to Karen Aston’s ability to identify potentially underrated players. Cousin of Longhorn Marquise Goodwin.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I haven't watched OSU this season, but their resume' speaks for itself.

If we can use our depth in the post to get Jensen into early foul trouble, that will really help tip the scales in our favor.

• Like Like x 3
  15. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

So far in conference play, LaShann has done a great job defending OU's Ortiz and WVU's Pardee. I'm sure she will be the main defender on Goodwin. LaShann's play has been so impressive so far this season. I'm anxious to see how she does against Goodwin.

• Like Like x 6
  16. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

While Goodwin isn’t the only player who gets into double digits, she is the only one who seems to do well against good teams. We limit her and we we win. Not an easy task, but at least she is the only real threat.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I agree with the zone, whoever said that above, if Goodwin or Jensen is getting out of control.

19. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I watched them play Mississippi State down to the wire and also saw them beat the hell out of UCLA. They've got several weapons on that team and can be very dangerous when they get going.

20. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

The line on OSU/Texas is Texas -8. I take Texas.

• Like Like x 2
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

The outcome of this game will depend on the same thing as every other Big 12 game we play this season... HOW WE PLAY.
    :coolnana:

• Like Like x 2
  22. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Amen.

23. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I agree....

24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Special pre-game show currently airing on LHN.

25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Considering she’s a Duncanville girl, there was only 1 answer to the last question.

26. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I wish we had a better Post Game.
    Nothing on the Inside. You can't win, with just Guard's.

27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Karen Aston needs to go after these refs HARD. Jensen has gone over a Longhorn’s back at least 4 times and no whistle but AA slightly bumps her and gets a foul.

• Like Like x 2
  28. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Why does Aston have Jada on Goodwin?

• Like Like x 3
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I rarely complain about officiating, but our players are getting bumped blatantly on their drives to basket. And, plenty of over the back non-calls against OSU post players.

Really think we need to press Goodwyn as she dribbles the ball up the court; we are basically letting her leisurely walk the ball and then run whatever play she wants.

• Like Like x 3
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Since we aren't rebounding well, we are getting nothing in transition.