Texas vs OSU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Jan 2, 2018.

1. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

What don’t some of you understand? When you have a team with a lot of really good experienced players in front of you at your position the freshmen for the most part aren’t going to get very much playing time. I would rather Brooke, Ariel, and Lashann play 40 minuets a game than have our freshmen getting any valuable playing time. Why? Because they’re your best most experienced players!

Rellah is a different case because although Rellah doesn’t have the experience she is a better offensive player than Audrey-Ann. But once again, when your team shoots over 50% from the field field and scores almost 90 points it’s hard for me to whine and complain about one player or certain players getting playing time because they’re great offensively.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

Holmes only played 9 minutes. I am not expecting her to play 25-30 minutes. But only 9?!?!?

Again, I like that Audrey is very technical in her approach to defense and offense, but her lack of wanting to score does present some difficulties.

Another scorer doesn't just mean more points, but puts pressure on the defense to....defend.

Call me crazy, but I think Coleman and Jensen would have a harder time defending Holmes and Boothe than Audrey.

Not saying Audrey is playing bad. I am just saying I think Boothe and Holmes should get more playing time.

If we notice our weaknesses, I am sure other teams do too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

We certainly will need "all hands on deck" for Baylor. Kalini Brown and Lauren Cox much taller than Jensen/Coleman of OSU.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

You keep bringing up the fact we shot over 50% and scored almost 90 points. Just because we did that against Oklahoma State, doesn't mean we can replicate it against UCONN, Baylor, at WVU, etc. without Boothe and Holmes getting more playing time.

Additionally, pretty sure Aston commented that the reason why the team was in a slump at the end of season last year was because she overplayed some players.

We have 10 McDonald's All-Americans on this team. McCarty, Atkins, and Higgs should not be playing 40 minutes. Especially not all 3. If they have to, we won't be competing for a Big 12 championship let alone a National Championship.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Well...what don't YOU understand? Nobody's "whining" as you said. This is a FACT.....we ARE NOT and HAVE NOT gotten alot of production out of the 4 spot, except for Rellah and Hosey contributing here and there. THAT is a fact. And sorry, but name me ONE player that is more experienced than Boothe that is actually better, other than Joyner. You can't because there are none. One would certainly think that Joyner will take that 4 spot back from Audrey at some point. I'm thrilled with the win because I was certainly not real optimistic after 3 1/2 quarters, but an explosive scorer and rebounder at the 4 spot takes us to a different level as a TEAM. I am hopeful that at some point we may even see Rellah and Joyner together on the floor at the 4 and 5, even though neither is a true 5. At this point in time, we do not have an elite shot blocker in the paint and Joyner will certainly help some in that regard. OH....FYI....experienced doesn't equate to BETTER.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

Their height doesn't bother me. Their ability to score and rebound does.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think the key words were “just because we did”. And again, I don’t think anyone would argue that Brooke, Ariel, and Lashann right now are the best players on this team. So if that’s obviously the case why wouldn’t you want your BEST MOST EXPERIENCED PLAYERS on the floor as much as possible?

8. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

Funny thing is, when I first saw video of Boothe, she seemed like she could play the 3 spot. This was probably when she was a sophomore or junior in high school. I read somewhere she stopped focusing on cardio, but wanted to "bulk up" her senior year.

No matter the combination, White-Holmes or White-Boothe or Boothe-Holmes, we have some damn good rebounders who have the ability to score.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Megan Walker at UConn has played in 10 games for over 170 minutes. UConn's roster has more talent and experience than our roster but Gino has found time for Walker to get valuable playing time in key games. She played 16 minutes vs Notre Dame, 25 minutes vs UCLA and 20 minutes in the Maryland game.

Sometimes it's not just about freshman getting playing time because the roster lacks talent and experience, it's about freshman getting playing time because they are talented and they need to experience to grow and contribute.

• Like Like x 4
  10. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

I think you are misinterpreting my words, so let me be blunt:

It is highly unlikely we will score 90 points and shoot over 50% against Baylor, UCONN, etc. if Holmes plays under 10 minutes and Boothe see no playing time.

It's called fatigue. Anybody remember what happened to us after the FSU game last season? You don't have 10 AAs on your team to play three players for 40 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Read! In the post that you responded to it clearly states that Rellah is a better offensive player than Audrey-Ann. And again, if Texas would’ve struggled offensively and not shot over 50% from the field and scored almost 90 points then I could understand complaining about a player such as Rellah not getting any playing time because she is a good offensive player.

12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Oh, really? Then tell that to Geno who basically plays his best players the majority of every game that is competitive up to that point. And why does a coach like Geno play his best players the majority of time? It’s simple, because they’re the best players on the team.

13. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

A good offensive player puts pressure on the defense. Meaning, they can't slack on one end versus the other. Coleman and Jensen shot 12-16. Besides White, they didn't really need to guard anyone else.

One more note:
    Only 15 points out of 84 came from our posts.
    Only 11 rebounds out of 30 came from our posts.

Let that sink in and you tell me if we can beat UCONN and Baylor with those numbers.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I don't have to "READ" to know that we have gotten poor production out of the 4 spot. I actually played high level sports so I'm quite capable of forming my own experienced thoughts and opinions. Let me try to break it down to you another way. IF we get good production (not only scoring, but rebounding and shot blocking) out of the 4 spot, it takes some pressure off of Jatarie or whoever is playing the 5 spot, as well as the guards. THAT is a fact. As RBarabino stated above, we got very little scoring and rebounding out of the 4 and 5 last night and that has to change if we are to compete against the likes of Baylor and UConn. That is all anyone here is saying. No one is dogging anyone. We are going to run up against some prolific post tandems soon and we better be ready. That means, IMO, that we need Joyner and Rellah to play more.

15. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

Only two players average over 30 MPG. 7 over 15MPG. And their freshman, Walker, is averaging over 17 MPG.

He is utilizing his bench and his freshmen.

16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Are we playing UConn or Baylor right now? And there’s no question that production from the post players will have to improve if they want to be teams like UConn and Baylor but I’ll trust the person who gets paid really well to actually coach to make the right decisions.

17. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Then you obviously didn’t Read what I posted. And I could care less whether or not not you played at a high level. You’re obviously not coaching at a high level. And I will trust the person that is coaching at a high level and knows everything about her players and what they’re capable of to make the right decisions.

18. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

No, but we will be playing UCONN in a couple weeks and then Baylor after that...twice.

Aston isn't perfect...as she has routinely mentioned. LOL. I like her humility to criticize her own tactical decisions.

Again, we are fans. We have every right to be critical of decisions made by a coach.

19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Most of Walker’s extended minutes came when Samuelson was hurt. And you can’t read into average minutes because as we all know most of the games UConn play are blowouts by the second half. But I guarantee if you looked at the only competitive game that UConn has played this year which is the Notre Dame game his best most experienced players got the majority of the playing time.

20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Joyner was in good spirits after the game.

Lashann’s diagnosis:

• Like Like x 1
  21. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

We've had blowouts too.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

And I could care less about your mostly "senseless drivel" while acting as if those of us who expressed our concerns about lack of production at the 4 spot are somehow just awful for stating our observations and opinions. Unlike you, I can actually SEE and COMPREHEND the game. You continue to defend Karen when it's not even necessary. No one is bashing anyone. I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Karen and the job she has done and have followed the program for many many years. However, I, like the others on here, have every right to discuss our observations and concerns.

23. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Did I say that you were bashing anyone? And who said that you couldn’t voice your observations and concerns? You and a couple of others can gladly continue to whine and complain about freshman not getting any playing time.

24. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Welp. Just like I said his best players played the majority of the game including Dangerfield playing 40 minuets and Collier also playing 40 minuets. Again, I want my best most experienced players playing 40 minuets every competitive game if they’re not in foul trouble.

25. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was at the game and couldn't see some aspects of what was discussed about Rellah's demeanor. I recorded the replay and sped up to the last 3 minutes and watched the end. During this time, I did see what many mentioned about her glum and stone-faced look during and after the game.

[On the flip side]

During the replay I saw Joyner actively fired up for her teammates play. During a timeout I could see Joyner pumping up Lashann as she was about to the game and then celebrating with others on-court after the handshakes were exchanged between the teams. So, here's someone who could be bummed and sulking that has a different perspective on the game and shows it.

26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Coleman needs to have a better shooting night from outside the paint (luckily she didn't play as well as she's capable against us) and Goodwin and the freshman need to continue playing the way they've been playing. I think if OSU can establish both post players away from the basket (both are fully capable) and draw the Baylor bigs out, then that could leave Baylor vulnerable defending against dribble penetration.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  27. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Actually my thought process was going in a different direction. Maybe it’s because they haven’t been in long enough but my question is more about how our freshman have done when they did get in. Why would Boothe be so out of shape? Why were Patterson and Littleton not shooting lights out? Why did Freshman elsewhere seem to make the jump more easily?

28. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

PS. I just think it’s great this board is seeing more action again. That’s good news.

• Like Like x 4
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Seems UT fans weren’t the only ones on edge during this game...

• Like Like x 1
  30. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Agree 100%. Why would Rellah, Chasity, and Destiny agree to be a part of this team if they had no idea who was in front of them for playing time? Rellah knew we had Jatarie, Audrey, and Joyner (coming back). Chasity knew we had Brooke and Sug. I'm sure Destiny knew we needed a shooter, but she would have to compete for playing time.

I don't pretend to know how recruiting goes, but there's a big difference in coaches saying, "You WILL start as a freshman here", and "You will have to compete for your playing time here, but we will need you." To me, it's a difference in players wanting to be a part of a special TEAM, or wanting to go be a starter for another team. I hope our freshmen realize that they are going to be very important to this Texas team in the future. If you want to be a part of something special, you wait your turn. Look at Lashann! She was predicted to be the BIG 12 freshman of the year her first season and she didn't get much playing time at all. She stuck with it, waited it out, and learned from Celina, Brooke and Ariel. She's a freaking star right now!!

I'm done now. But, for all the banter back and forth about this game, I sure am glad we won!!!!!

• Like Like x 5