Texas vs OSU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Jan 2, 2018.

1. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Wow, what an intense discussion. My opinions in brief: Audrey brings a lot on defense, but Joyner and Rellah need to have more minutes fast. Our four main backcourt players were so good last night, it would have been a mistake to put Chas or Destiny in. I thought Rellah looked happy and excited after the game, but apparently I did not look close enough or long enough. Everyone talks about Lashann's improvement, which is no doubt true, but her greatness was apparent from her first games here as a freshmen. She was underplayed last year by Karen. Karen is a great coach in many ways, but this board would be nothing but a cheerleading section if we had to agree with every decision she makes. It is tiresome on the UConn board the way Geno is treated like a god. Everybody likes to have an opinion and express themselves and that is why this board is fun.

• Like Like x 5
  2. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Very well-stated... in particular the remarks about Lashann. Glad she's been able to weather the browbeating and emerge as the great player we all knew she was capable of becoming. I'm as happy for her individually as I am happy for the benefit of the team.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

Just to piggy-back on Higgs' well-deserved praise, if I recall correctly, UCONN pursued her really hard during recruitment.

Even the OSU coach said that he Higgs has always been athletic, but that the difference now is that she has confidence.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

As I recall, she was a bright spot her freshman year when we met UConn in the NCAA tournament.

• Like Like x 6
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, and made the all-regional team if my memory serves me correctly.

• Like Like x 4
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

You are correct. All-Regional team was Stewie, Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck (the first 3 picks in the draft), sophomore Ariel and freshman Lashann.

That was the season that, if not for the seeding, Texas makes the Final 4. The team was peaking - Ariel and Lashann were playing their best ball that season, Imani had really come into her own.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Seeding. It’s why every games counts.

• Like Like x 3
  8. hornhonker

hornhonker 100+ Posts

I’m mostly a lurker and don’t pretend to have a high basketball IQ. I just watched the game. At about 5 seconds to go Goodwin appeared to shag Brooke around the neck. I was surprised there wasn’t a call - it looked pretty bad and Brooke looked surprised as she sat on the ground. Did anyone else notice that play?

• Like Like x 3
  9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

See my earlier comment. It was awful to watch. Goodwin grabbed her from behind around the neck and shoulder and threw her to the floor. Everyone including the refs were watching White make the layup.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I read WCBB's post cause I hadn't noticed during the game. Went back and watched and it was really bush-league type play, very dirty. Coach KA noticed and made gesture toward ref but game ended and everyone but me regained their composure. Brooke could have really been hurt. Our Coach's and team are such class acts.

• Like Like x 4
  11. hornhonker

hornhonker 100+ Posts

Thanks - I missed your comment the first time. Does the Big 12 review things like that after the fact. It did look dangerous. Reminded me of some prior OSU team member ‘antics’.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I doubt they get reviewed. Maybe if an injury results but I honestly have no idea. I remember a little guard from OSU a few years back that was pretty nasty. Can’t remember her name but I bet a few on here will. She was kind of notorious lol

13. hornhonker

hornhonker 100+ Posts

Andrea Riley - around 2011 I think.

14. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Yep. She was a mean one.

15. hornhonker

hornhonker 100+ Posts

Indeed!

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I am still irked that we did not try to put any pressure on Goodwin as she dribbled the ball up the court each possession; even some token pressure would help use some shot clock and not allow them to set up their offense so quickly. Hope to see that token pressure up in Stillwater for the rematch.

• Like Like x 2