Texas vs OU Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Oct 14, 2017.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Mapps looked great yesterday

• Like Like x 1
  2. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Our O Line was the difference in this game. No highlights and lots of bad.

• Like Like x 2
  3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Sam looked out cold.
    Unconscious equals concussion.
    I don't think Shane throws the ball away on 4th down.
    An interception is better than that. At least try to fit it in somewhere.
    I'm not sure Sam was all there.
    At least Shane should be ready if symptoms appear in Sam later on this week.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Sam talks about this in the post-game presser. He said he felt fine but they wanted to check him out because he hit his head pretty hard.

5. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Agree on your throwing it away point. I posted about it here after he did it. I have to believe he was still seeing stars.

• Like Like x 1
  6. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

He obviously doesn't remember being unconscious. :)

7. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I thought he threw it away because he ran around for 5 minutes (sarcasm) looking for an open receiver and seemed resigned to the fact that a flag was thrown and he somehow knew it was against us. It was weird as it happened. He seemed not to throw it away but just sort of was ready to move on to the next play with the penalty yardage added. I don't know if that makes sense.

8. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

The only slight difference is that if you save the timeout for the one play later, and the offense does, in fact, cause the clock to stop, you have a timeout to use on your own offense instead of against the other team’s offense. So, let’s say on your drive you get a sack or long pass completion, you could “get back” most of that “lost time,” (less,though, because presumably you would have been hurrying, while the opposition would be dragging). Then, though, in exchange, you get not just the clock stoppage but time to plan a play or two during the TO, which could save time, and if you completed a long pass with say 1 second left, it would allow a full other play absorbing time past the 0:00.

So, it’s probably true that you would save 5 or 10 seconds if you got the 3rd down incompletion as you discuss, but there are a lot of factors more than just saying it’s automatically a bad decision.

But hey, I’m just a fan.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

10. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I was screaming at the TV "why are you throwing the ball out of bounds? It's 4th down. Force it in to a receiver. We HAVE to get a first down. Sam didn't have his head. He should have made the decision to bow out and let Shane take over. So "pride goes before the fall". And TH needed to see through that. I believe vehemently that Shane should have finished the game and I believed that In real time.

11. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  12. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I was at the game. I did not tolerate any criticism of Sam Ehlinger in the stands and I won't tolerate it here. He was running for his life ALL DAMN DAY. What that kid did for us on Saturday with what all he was facing was amazing. I agree with HIC - he threw it away b/c he knew the play was over and anything we got was coming back. He was ready to get on with the game b/c that play was screwed from the moment the ball was snapped. You armchair QBs on here have some nerve second-guessing a TRUE FRESHMAN in that game who got ZERO help from his line and damn little from his defense. We would have never been close in this game if not for Sam. Quite frankly, he's the only guy on this team that makes much of a diff if he is out there or some other guy.

• Like Like x 7
  13. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The discussion of the throw was that he might have had a concussion which is a criticism of Herman, not Sam.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Vol, over the years we have all observed plenty of coaches "without a brain."

• Like Like x 2
  15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

The only way for you to not tolerate something here is to not come here. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I am convinced that he was out. On the telecast you see that he had his eyes closed and when he opened them, he was a bit disoriented. Perhaps he was just dazed and not out cold...but I wonder based on what I saw.

17. Phil Elliott

You are correct. Let me rephrase and say it will not go unchallenged.

18. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

i agree w/ HIC here - the flag had been thrown so any gain would have been called back. Might as well throw it away and move on.

19. uisge beatha

That's what it looked like to me also - lying on his side in a semi-fetal position and not moving. I was surprised when he returned.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

exactly

21. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

1 so there was a flag thrown?
    2 Sam knew it was against us so he threw the ball out of bounds... That's kinda unconventional.

22. uisge beatha

Did Sam see the flag thrown and knew it was against us? Who knows? My initial reaction was "why the hell are you throwing it away on 4th down" then immediately thought "flag's against us so what does it matter".

23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yep... even with the flag against us a completion for a first down (even rolling out and under pressure; it can happen) would have given us another play as they would have taken the penalty. It was a remote possibility (maybe) but throwing it out of bounds was throwing in the towel. Again, my theory is Sam had cob-webs and might have lost track of the situation (down).

• Like Like x 2
  24. horninchicago

My point was he looked tired and my supposition is he saw the flag and just basically thought screw it, no one is open, I can't get the 1st down and just threw it away.

25. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Mapps is probably out practicing Foreman. Not sure why Herman wouldnt play Armanti for any other reason. The WRs are very deep. I can't imagine some kind of alterior motive.

26. uisge beatha

yeah
    option 1) throw for first down - no one open. If had been, repeat down
    option 2) throw short of a 1st down
    option 3) throw interception/incompletion trying to force it
    option 4) take sack/run out of bounds
    option 5) throw it away

27. Phil Elliott

Given how far back he had to scramble, and how far we had to go for a 1st down, my take is he would have to plant his feet to get enough on the ball. Planting his feet would have probably gotten him killed as there were OU defenders in hot pursuit. Y'all make it sound like he was just standing there in the pocket waiting for someone to get open and then just dumped the ball off.

28. horninchicago

Not me. I sarcastically said he ran around for 5 minutes before throwing it away.

29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

No, if you throw it down field and our wr gets interfered with then the penalties cancel each other out and the down is played over. Then we might get a first down on the next play. Besides you never just give up like that anyway. Shane would have made a better decision. My first thought was that Sam was tired of running around back there and he gave up by throwing the ball away. He was gassed. But I'm not mad at him, he should have not been in that situation.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  30. Phil Elliott

Shane would have been tackled before he got the ball off. Come on.

• Like Like x 3