Texas vs OU Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Oct 14, 2017.

1. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I could easily join our bickering here on this key point about Sam at the end but it wouldn't have come down to this if our damn DB's had not given up so many big plays that kept drives alive / earned them points during the game.

ESPECIALLY the winning TD Jones gave up!

• Like Like x 5
  2. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Indeed, That^^^ was a shocking blown assignment.

3. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

And before this thread is consigned to history I want to say that I've been on this board a long time and the emotions are so much more in check than they were long ago. No flame-wars. The negativity was all understandable and not hysterical. In short, a very enjoyable thread and I'm looking forward to more, win or lose. But let's win. Ok?

• Like Like x 10
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Only because Foreman hasn't been playing at all. Foreman was as good or better in the games they both played, and would have won the game for us against USC had our D held the lead or Sam not fumbled. Hemphill has also made a couple of big freshman-blunders as PR. Against USC he seemed to think he was in coverage and not in return and scrambled to catch the ball at the 1 and stay out of the endzone, costing us 19 yards. And then against Oklahoma he ran backwards 15 yards instead of just eating the ball where he stood.

5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I thought that while Foreman had some good catches, he dropped several very easy balls in games 1 and 2. Didn't he muff a punt and/or kickoff or two, also?

6. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

no reason to be a hater given how well Shane played while he was in the game.

7. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

First let me say Sam did a hell of a job. But I have to challenge this thought process.

Sam needed to complete this for a first down or at least attempt to even if there was a flag so the Def would have accepted the penalty. That way the ball would have been moved back, but we would have got one last chance. Not completing it for a first down and throwing it out of bounds would have been declined and the game is over.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I'm not hating I am just saying that Shane is not as fast as Sam - I did not think that point was in dispute.

9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i don't care what other people say (even Coach), but that was a good loss. all new coaches with new offensive and defensive schemes.

our defense blew a couple of coverages on long passes and sam missed devin on that wide open route down the side. other than those, their QB was great and we played tough against a very good team.

i like where we're going.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  10. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

And we will finish strong. Teams will know they are in for a dog fight when they face us and that will help with a psychological stand point. When we punch them in the mouth they will continue that doubt. Not to mention the future beyond this year. Our #2 recruiting class will be coming in with loads of talent.

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

And neither of them is as fast as the OU DE.

I appreciate you loyalty and devotion to Sam, but if he doesn't learn to read the defense and take what they give him, he won't be the starter in 2019 if all commitments are honored.

Serious question, does Herman limit what Sam is allowed to do?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I'm sorry I have to disagree with that. OU is evil, they aren't anything like God. They are the devil.:)

I do believe we're headed in the right direction though. It's quite possible we could be 2-4 or even 1-5 under the same staff. The defense would still be giving up 40+ a game and it's doubtful the offense would be much better. The question is will TH be a coach that occasionally gets us to major bowl games or competes for NC's.

13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

lol fixed

14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I don't necessarily buy that.
    Sams a bit of a plodder.
    Shane is pretty quick on his feet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Gotta admit, Okoronkwo is a badass.

16. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

That's because Texas Tapps isn't here to goad everyone mad with frustration on his/her very condescending/smartass post.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I was just gonna say, we dumped all that onto a different site.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I didn't like the loss, but I like this team. I still think this team is getting better every week. We had a great time, only time there was a problem(other than the final score) was when a vendor insisted Shiner bock was an imported beer and tried to charge two extra coupons. Nothing like tepid beer in a wax cup.

20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

One thing I noticed.
    Sam and Brewer both like to inflict pain.
    :) :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  21. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

We run that throwback once per game, and I think it's worked every single time.

22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

yes and I don't understand why we use some plays that are successful just one time. I use it again going to the other side. The play to duvernay should have happened earlier and we could have done it a second time on the other side.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Brandon Jones was the blown coverage on their TE, Andrews

24. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

yeah. i thought it was a well designed play. take the right receiver and run a post. take the TE, covered by a LB, and run an out and up. it's slow developing so it looks like jones makes the right read until the TE turns up. i thought our wheel routes did this well last year at the beginning.

25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It was my impression that the corner back stayed with the outside receiver on the post and that Brandon was caught making a decision; he might have thought he had the middle of the field. Once he realized the corner was sticking with the post it was too late. The question is this: was this some sort of Cover 2 deep zone? Man to man? Or what?

I believe Emmanual Acho called out the corner (PJ?) on the post-game show for the blown-coverage.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He thought Locke had the TE

27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Right or the sideline...

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Using the sideline as a defender is a still a thing these days? Can't really tell based on how often teams have the CB line up a couple of yards to the outside of the WR and regularly allow 5-7 yard slants with 0 resistance.