Texas vs OU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Jan 27, 2022.

1. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

24 Turnovers were a killer. They held them to 65 points, tied in rebounds and shot 76% at the stripe which should have been enough to win the game. A lot of those turnovers were trying to get the ball into the Bigs it seemed like to me.

Moore shot 30% from the floor and 50% from the line and she got yanked with 4 fouls

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  2. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Shot selection might be solid, but it would help if something would actually go through the net every once in awhile!:angry:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m not disappointed with their performance other than the turnovers (and credit OU for finding some defense) they played well enough to beat a team leading in the Big 12 standings today.

What still bothers me is the two poor performances at home in conference play to lesser teams. Without those, Texas would still be alone in first place right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

This loss is just as bad as those other two conference losses for me because we played so sloppy. I can take a loss a little better if we play well... this was NOT the case today. We looked like SH_T and still could've won.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  5. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I did not get to watch the game, but tracked the score on ESPN and have read the comments so far. Last week I posited that this game could be a problem for us. Newly anointed as a 2 seed in the big dance, and facing our lifelong nemesis twice next week. If not the freshmen, then certainly the seniors are aware of the history with Baylor. Listening to the comments, it sounds like a number of our players did not have their usual strong games. As we have seen over the last few seasons, we cannot just walk into the gym and win because we're Texas. Perhaps this game will reinforce what Vic has been saying - if we're focused, we can be elite. If not, we can be beat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Would have thought that the Tech and Kansas games would have driven that message home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I agree that we played poorly.

Hard to win when you have 24 TOs snd shoot only 33.3%.! We played hard but poorly

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I like Shay and would have been fine with her getting the minutes. But not fair to say Hunter is all about Hunter. How do we know? She has seen so little court time. She has a better 3 point shooting average (.43) than Shay (.35). She made two of them in this game. I've seen Kendall make a couple of boneheaded plays, but who hasn't? In the limited minutes she has had, I recall 3 assists and 2 turnovers. She was the best 3 point shooter left on the floor in those final 4 seconds. I might have had her take the three instead of Rori, since probably everyone in the gym knew Rori would be taking it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My opinion... this is the type of season I expected us to have, flashes of good and some bad too. We have the perfect recipe for an up and down season. Our most talented players are the least experienced on the team, and our experienced players lack the needed skills to consistently overcome that. But they all play really hard and give 150%. I personally let my expectations rise when we had some signature wins and I shouldn't have. We are still very much a work in progress and there's a good possibility we may remain that way the entire season.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Nice post. Realistic. After watching our team in the preseason, I liked Rori/Aaliyah and hoped Kyndall would eventually learn to play defense. And Aliyah turned into a pleasant surprise, back then I didn't think she was as good as she is.

We were all making preseason predictions at the time and mine was we probably are looking at a Sweet 16 team. Winning two Tourney games is probably realistic. Anything better would be a surprise to the upside.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  11. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

This too shall pass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Kudos go to Rori scoring 15 points and 11 rebounds (4 offensive boards) FOUR

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Is it going to pass next week against Baylor twice...or will it be the week after that it passes?:idk::coolnana:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I suspect Vic will avail himself of this teaching opportunity. I think they'll be ready for the Bears.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Although I don't want to be, i am okay with this loss as well as all the rest. We are 15-4 with some great wins. We are such a young team and all of our losses we shouldve won, but didn't because of the inexperienced players making inexperienced mistakes. That will change. This isn't the year we are supposed to win it all. These players have to grow.
    We have seen the flashes of brilliance from the freshmen and younger players and they will only get better, add on our incoming recruiting class and what I'm sure the 23 one will be also by the time All is said and done. We will get there and we will win a natty in a few years, I really believe that, just not yet. To everyone so disappointed and pointing fingers, you shiuldnt have expected this team to be elite. Just be patient.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Question for those who were able to watch the game: Is OU a better team, or did we underperform enough to allow them to win?

17. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Leave it to some know-it-all to try to pour water over our grousing. Ain't gonna work.:cowrose:

18. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

OU is not the better team, but they’re really good. It was a typical tough Big 12 road game that was lost on a go ahead shot with 4 seconds left . Texas wins the next one.

warning: Baylor is still a VERY good basketball team so you might want to start adjusting your expectations accordingly. I’ll be ecstatic with a split with the Lady Bears in the regular season (something we’ve not seen much of in over a decade)…but I’m a realist

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  19. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We actually lost to a really good team. We’ll get them in Austin

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

What a ridiculous way to interpret what I said.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

OU is not as talented as us overall, but their veteran players are experienced and skilled. They stepped up, led their team, and made some big plays at crucial times. Ours did not. Period.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

I agree with most of your post, but I didn't appreciate the last, two sentences. There's no need for you to tell folks what they should or shouldn't do or criticize anyone by telling them to be patient because they have high expectations. Is that ridiculous enough for you?:catfight:

23. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

The biggest disappointment this year for me has been our lack of consistent scoring inside and our veteran players failing to lead and get it done in crunch time. I’m not sure what has happened to JAT’s shooting, but with the exception of a few games, it’s been pretty bad. Without our veterans stepping up and getting it done, this will continue as a rollercoaster ride. We continue to turn the ball over needlessly and did so again against OU at the end with a chance to take the lead..... I still can’t understand Vic taking Moore out when she was starting to establish herself. I think she is our only hope of a presence in the paint that other teams have to respect!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

IMO this team needs a vocal leader like Jamie Carey. Brooke and Ariel were leaders who were not as vocal as Jamie but understood the responsibility of taking the team on their shoulders in high pressure games. A leader has not yet emerged on this team. I believe/hope that Rori will develop into that type of leader. Moore also seems to have leadership DNA. I miss Celeste Taylor. She was a competitor who could elevate the team with her energy and her will to win. She didn’t always score a lot of points but she possessed intangibles that made the team better.

Although my rationale self understands that this season we will be inconsistent from game-to-game, my competitive side is disappointed when we lose games that were in our grasp to win. (Missed free throws always come back to haunt us.)

OU was the better team today. Coach B has that team locked in and believing in themselves. IMO, that was not a fluke win by OU. They could make some noise in the NCAA tournament.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Bucksgal

Bucksgal 500+ Posts

Bobcat, I agree with you 100%. We are so consistently inconsistent that I'd be happy with a 5-5 split of our remaining games, a #9 seed to big dance, and two wins there would be a dream!

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Good stuff everyone. I'm really concerned we couldn't slow down or stop Madi Williams. We must figure it out or N. Smith will dominate us down low when we play Baylor. And we have to deal with Egbo too. I'm very curious to see the defensive plan for Baylor.

• Agree Agree x 4
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Really good wins in the previous games, but this was a game that was needed with Baylor still to come. This is going to be a tough stretch and has me worried.

With Baylor, it's always been for me a believe it when I see it thing in terms of actually winning a game against them. It's pretty obvious by now that it hasn't only been a talent and coaching issue against them but more importantly a mental thing.

And as @brnkj mentioned, this team is relying on it's younger players to carry the team in terms of production which is going to create inconsistent play.

They need Joanne, Audrey, and Ebo to show up these next few games to have a chance. But with Baylor's inside play both offensively and defensively, and Texas' inconsistency inside I'll continue to believe it when I see it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I have no doubt we CAN beat them, but WILL we??? Like you said the seniors need to step up and lead the team for us to have a chance and they haven't done a great job of that this season... not consistently anyway.

• Agree Agree x 6
  29. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

What you see is what you get from our Seniors. We take what they give and add to it and figure out how to beat teams.

• Like Like x 1
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Agreed. Things are what they are. But we need what the seniors DO bring to the table on a consistent basis. When they don't show up our younger players are lost... and understandably so.

• Agree Agree x 1