Texas vs OU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

You are correct, but the main thing they should be “giving” is consistency and leadership and that has not been the case at all. When younger players see veterans not performing consistently yet still staying in the game, that has to be a head scratcher for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I agree sort of …unless they are consistently giving what the coach wants to see. As important as they are, points are not the only way to contribute. Ebo goes in and out frequently so that just leaves JAT and Warren “staying in” and those two consistently give exceptional effort and solid defense. Not disagreeing that they aren’t consistently scoring. But in my opinion they have consistently earned their court time. Matharu has a target on her back lately and we haven’t made the appropriate adjustments to get her open, but she also admits to trying to force shots inside when she should have kicked it back out.

But honestly, I’m not sure who I would bring off the bench to replace her or JAT for that matter. Hunter still looks lost at times. Holle is terrific but I’m not sure she can bring what the seniors bring. Gaston is hit or miss but I really like what I’m seeing there. Moore just needs more time.

We are so close at times … yet so far away at other times. Stanford and KSU were brilliant games. Tennessee could have easily gone the other way. We won those games without huge point contributions from the seniors consistently. Those three games tells us we have what it takes. But Tech, Kansas and now Oklahoma really sting. The inconsistency is a team thing not just a senior thing IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

I agree with most of your post, but on a young team, consistency from your seniors is indeed needed. Stanford was an anomaly.... KSU we had scoring from both JAT and Audrey. Teams have now adjusted and aren’t paying as much attention to them. Tennessee was lost primarily because Audrey and JAT couldn’t make wide open 10 footers in the soft spot of their zone. At this point, neither Audrey, Ebo or JAT are consistent legitimate offensive threats, turn the ball over a lot, and it has affected Matharu getting open looks. The fact that. JAT is not a consistent threat even with open looks does indeed affect others. Basketball is a team sport, but ALL the pieces are needed..... When you have TWO and with EBO sometimes THREE basically non factors offensively on the floor at the same time, it severely hampers our offensive capability. You still have to score points to win, and at the present, that is a BIG problem for us....

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2022