Texas vs TCU (Nov 16, 1974)

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gahornphan, Sep 27, 2021.

1. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I was at that cold temp game... it was a severe beatdown of a team & program that was at perhaps it's lowest point.... I felt bad for the frogs that day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  3. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

We laid another asswhoopin' on the Cucarachas in 1969 69-7

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ut forever

Ut forever 25+ Posts

Worsterman I was at that game as well.. In fact if i remember right Coach royal sent in a lineman or non kicker to try the extra point after scoring to make it 79.. Royal trying not to get to 80 perhaps .. But ensuing kick off TCU fumbled the kick in the endzone and Texas scored a safety for 2 pts to get to 81….

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Longhorn 18

Longhorn 18 < 25 Posts

Played in that game. Our wide receiver, Pat Padgett typically held for Billy Schott on field goals and extra points. They talked Coach Royal into letting them switch for the extra point. Padgett missed and caught a lot of flak. At least until the safety.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Welcome Leonard.

• Like Like x 1
  7. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Wow, 81 is a lot of points!

8. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Leonard, what ever happened to Gralyn Wyatt?

9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yes, welcome to HF! We hope you will post often about your memories of the teams you played on, playing for DKR, etc.

Speaking of 1974, personally I would like to hear your thoughts about Earl as a frosh that season. Also your thoughts about the 1974 ou game that was a close loss (I missed the game).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Longhorn 18

Longhorn 18 < 25 Posts

Don't know, I lost track of him. He was a very good running back. Scored on a long run as a freshman against Boston College.

11. Longhorn 18

Longhorn 18 < 25 Posts

Worster, we knew Earl was special on the first day of practice. He ran 80 yards in a scrimmage with Joe Bob Bizzell hanging on to him for the last 20 yards or so. So many memories of the team and Coach Royal during my four years there.

• Like Like x 4
  12. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Joe Bob might have been a bit small to try to tackle Earl.

• Like Like x 1
  13. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

Met him once in the Jester dinning hall. He was courting a girl that was a friend.

14. Longhorn 18

Longhorn 18 < 25 Posts

Joe Bob came from Permian and one thing I noticed about the players from small town schools (especially Permian) was that they were well coached. Joe Bob had a way of getting tangled in your legs. Very good fundamentals.

• Like Like x 1
  15. earl77

earl77 500+ Posts

He was always beat up. I know he was a tough guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Except with fewer yards allowed through the air...222 yards passing in THAT era...amazing the players survived to play another game after the gassers that were likely ordered.

17. Ut forever

Ut forever 25+ Posts

18. Ut forever

Ut forever 25+ Posts

Thats good info longhorn 18.. i was a lad of 11 or12 i knew the regular kicker did not kick that extra pt…